Question about groups like Yahoo or others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I want to form a Yahoo group, but I want it to be completely private; the kind where no other random Yahoo surfer can see who is in it and what the posts are. It would be a circle of friends using it for emails to the whole group. How do I do that? The Yahoo groups help section is no damn help. Does anyone use a different group...um...thing? ( I don't know what to call it.)

Thank you in advance for your insightful and helpful suggestions. :D

Yahoo groups have an invite only function, where people can join only if invited by you.

Other than that, communityzero is a good group but it's not a mailing list; rather, you have to go to a certain website to access all msges/pics/docs etc

foray

furrygirl is right
you just set all the options yourself. i have a yahoo list and had it that way for a lil while. it works!
i assume you're the list owner martha, because only they can change the settings.

Yep...I have a Yahoo group, but it's just for people from my graduating class, so I don't let people sign up automatically. I have to approve the memberships first.

martha said:
I want to form a Yahoo group, but I want it to be completely private; the kind where no other random Yahoo surfer can see who is in it and what the posts are. It would be a circle of friends using it for emails to the whole group. How do I do that? The Yahoo groups help section is no damn help. Does anyone use a different group...um...thing? ( I don't know what to call it.)

I'm in a group like this. The moderator set it to not be listed in the directory. That way, no one can 'stumble' upon us. You need to be asked to join and then the moderator will add you to the membership. The only way you can 'see' the group is if you are a member.

Re: Re: Re: Question about groups like Yahoo or others

martha said:

How can I do that?

If you go to Yahoogroups and click Start a Group, first it will ask you where you want your group to be (what category and such). Then it will come to a page where you actually name your group and pick the email address. Near the bottom, it asks 'Select directory listing type' and you click Unlisted. It also asks you 'Select membership type' and you can pick open, restict ( so you have to approve anyone who asks to get in) or closed (you have to actually invite someone to join).

Back
Top Bottom