Question about British Singers/Songwriters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Why do they sing w/ no accent whatsoever and then when you hear them speak in an interview or in between songs at a concert, they have thick British accents?

Do they lose the accent on purpose when they sing?
Is it just accidental?

Just something I've ben thinking about............

:hmm: Personally, I think many bands do have strong accents when they first start out. Oasis are a good example. Listen to the heavy Mancurian accent Liam has when he sings "Shunshinnnnnnnneeeee" on their Definitely Maybe album then fast forward 10 years to the Familiar to Millions live album and he sings "Sunshine" with no accent.

Arctic Monkeys are a new band who sing with a very strong Sheffield accent. But I bet they won't have it in 10 years time either.

Maximo Park, Pet Shop Boys, Nizlopi I could go on...but they've all had/got prominent accents also.

The reason why they suddenly lose their accents? Simple. They all move from where they grew up to London thus their regional accents become dulled but equally they don't pick up a strong London accent either. Therefore when they speak their original accents are still recognisable but aren't strong enough to come through when they sing.

That's just my theory anyway :shrug:

But then again there are other bands who seem very accentless, Kaiser Chiefs, Rolling Stones, even the Beatles...their accents have never come through like say, The Clash's did. It is strange (and a shame!) I agree.

And I'm contradicting myself now so I'll shut up before I confuse myself even more (!)

Not all singers lose it, i.e. Blur.

But most singers lose their "accent" be it a British accent, southern draw, lisp, or whatnot.

My best friend is an amazing singer, and he gets told all the time that his speaking voice and singing voice sound completely different.

I'm thinking like Elton John or Sting.....I don't detect any accents when they sing, but when they talk, the accent is quite apparent.

in english, consonants all sounds the same. it's the vowel sounds that define an accent.

when singing, the vowels tend to be drawn out and thus the defining part of the accent is lost, to some extent - depending on the singer and the accent, of course.

Numb1075 said:
Why do they sing w/ no accent whatsoever and then when you hear them speak in an interview or in between songs at a concert, they have thick British accents?

I've ALWAYS wondered the same thing! :lol:

love_u2_adam said:
oasis still has theres:drool:

Liam is great, his voice started to really deteriorate after Be Here Now but it's pretty good again.

Sunnnnshhhhyyyyyiiiiiineeeeeee.

It's good to see this thread, Numb! I've often wondered the same thing... Bonn-O, I'm lookin at you. :eyebrow: :wink:

lmjhitman said:
in english, consonants all sounds the same. it's the vowel sounds that define an accent.

when singing, the vowels tend to be drawn out and thus the defining part of the accent is lost, to some extent - depending on the singer and the accent, of course.

Spot on :up:

I'm a singer too and I have no accent when I sing (unless I put one on specifically). It's because of the vowel placement when you sing as opposed to when you're just talking.

And I think that Liam thing was just something silly he did in the studio... I doubt that it has anything to do with his accent

I'd think it's more that American accents come across clearer than the rest of the world. It's not everyone else lacking one, but the American one is so strong.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Liam is great, his voice started to really deteriorate after Be Here Now but it's pretty good again.

Sunnnnshhhhyyyyyiiiiiineeeeeee.

Ha ha ha

Yeah, I remember being in america and seeing Oasis on MTV.

When they were speaking there were subtitles !!

I think this goes back to the Beatles imitating American artists. Think of the line, “I, should have known better with a girl like you”. The I is pronounced with an ahhh kind of sound. (At least to my English ears). But when Maca talks the I is pronounced very differently. I think that all Brits have been copying it since. No-one told the kids singing on ‘The Wall Pt2’ though as you can clearly hear their cockney accents come blaring through.

Eliv8 said:
I think this goes back to the Beatles imitating American artists. Think of the line, “I, should have known better with a girl like you”. The I is pronounced with an ahhh kind of sound. (At least to my English ears). But when Maca talks the I is pronounced very differently. I think that all Brits have been copying it since. No-one told the kids singing on ‘The Wall Pt2’ though as you can clearly hear their cockney accents come blaring through.

Lennon sing that song, not McCartney...

Back
Top Bottom