Queensryche at the Commodore Vancouver review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Queensryche
October 7, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Commodore Ballroom

QUEENSRYCHE AT THE COMMODORE BALLROOM VANCOUVER

Shadowy figures slowly gathered on the dark stage. Moments later, the lights flooded the stage and the first few notes of The Whisper from the album "Rage For Order" rang through the venue. Lead singer Geoff Tate strolled out on stage looking like a Los Vegas pimp (in a good way) wearing a nice tailored black suit and a sexy silk red shirt unbuttoned at the top sans the tie.

The show was divided into two parts. The first was a 60 minute set consisting of greatest hits and the other a 70 minute set of the ENTIRE "Operation Mind Crime" album (in order).

During the first part, they performed most of the hits from the "Empire" album. I was disappointed that they didn't perform any songs off the album "Promised Land", especially my favorite "I am I". The hits they played satisfied many casual fans who were reminded that Queensryche had a lot of familiar hits in the 80's and 90's other than "Silent Lucidity".

Part two was "Operation Mind Crime". Not only was it a heavy metal concert but it was also a theatrical stage play consisting of stage props, frequently changing stage sets and familiar characters from the "Operation Mind Crime" concept album including Nikki, Dr. X and Sister Marie. Christian Sorenson, who played Nikki, did a mediocre but convincing job. Pamela Moore returned as the voice of Sister Marie. Her vocals were under mixed but audiable and enjoyed none the less.

Some of the casual fans looked bored, I doubt that they understood the concept of the show. Some head-banged for the hell of it but looked bored 'cause they weren't recognizing most of the songs. It was a very 50/50 response to the set list and concept of the show.

Geoff Tate's vocals were just amazing. Geoff is more than just an amazing singer, he's one of the best in music today. There was no lowering of keys to accommodate Geoff's vocal range, just straight up talent. He could hit his high falsetto notes quite easily and made it look like child's play. Little do some know that he's actually classically trained and no lip synching or pre-recording was involved during the performance.

I went in as a big fan and come home a larger fan of the music.

Back
Top Bottom