Queen back in studio.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Normal Queen back in studio....

Queen to record new album-

Queen are to record their first studio album in 15 years.The British rockers haven't laid down any new tracks since the death of their iconic frontman Freddie Mercury in 1991.The band's guitarist, Brian May, confirmed: "We have about three weeks booked in the studio at the moment."On the new album, Freddie will be replaced by former Free singer Paul Rodgers.Brian said: "It was going to be just exploratory to see what happened when Paul and Roger and I were in the same room with a recording machine."But we're already deep into it and we already have some very good material so I'm pretty excited about that: it's very new, very different.
"There may be enough there to create an album, though it's early days yet. At the moment it's just a few tracks but we'll see how it goes. It's pretty exciting."This will not be the first time Brian, Paul and drummer Roger Taylor had joined forces - the trio toured Europe and Japan in 2005 and North America earlier this year.Brian concluded: "We don't really have anything to prove but we have a lot of passion still in our bodies and it seems to be finding a good place at the moment."

http://people.monstersandcritics.com...cord_new_album

All I have to say is why?

Freddie Mercury, R.I.P.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:29 PM
There is no orange juice without oranges.

There is no Queen without Freddie Mercury.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Interesting... Yeah, I don't really know how I'd feel about a new Queen album without Freddie. Then again, they aren't the only band who have continued to make records without their original lead singer.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Oh, hell no. Brian and Roger, you two are going slightly mad. namkcuR is right. There is no Queen without Freddie Mercury. If they were, perhaps, recording an album under a different a name it wouldn't make me half as annoyed as I currently am. Touring is one thing, but an album...?

I'm not buying it if they do end up releasing it. And anyway, people forget that another very important member isn't with the current incarnation of "Queen." John. I know he didn't write as much material as Freddie, Brian and Roger, but he's still an important part of Queen to me.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

As someone who has always liked Queen, I'm not very thrilled about this, either. You're a new band creating new music, so give yourself a new name while you're at it.

And the fact that John Deacon isn't there, as GibsonGirl mentioned, makes it even less Queen. I mean, the guy wrote some of Queen's biggest hits, like "You're My Best Friend" and "Another One Bites The Dust", so while he wasn't as noticeable as Freddie Mercury, he was still an importnat part of Queen.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Refugee

Has Queen made a semi-career after Freddie's death? With all their charity work and what not? This should be good. They are fantastic muscians....
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Refugee

well, i don't really have a problem with these dudes going into the studio and making music. that's what people who love to make music are supposed to do,.
though i do agree it's not queen. but enough of this bullshit about it somehow diminishing queen. no queen fan in their right mind is going to think this is a queen record without freddy mercury and john deacon. and nobody in their right mind is gonna think that 'a day at the races' suddenly sucks because these dudes wrote some new tunes. that doesn't make any sense.
i guess i'd rather they didn't call it queen to avoid confusion, but they may still have contractual obligations as that band (do they owe any albums to their label? i'm honestly not sure...). the name is marketing at this point, after all.
anyway, good for them. i hope they're having a blast
Old 10-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I hope it's good

I know Freddie would like the musico to go on.. show must go on, indeed
Old 10-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman
nobody in their right mind is gonna think that 'a day at the races' suddenly sucks because these dudes wrote some new tunes. that doesn't make any sense.
You're right, it doesn't make sense. Mainly because no-one here even insinuated that that was the case. Of course Queen's legacy won't diminish because of this. Brian and Roger could release a collection of tapes with them clucking like hens, and that wouldn't change the fact that A Night At The Opera is the greatest rock album ever recorded.

Yes, by all means, record music! I'm glad that Brian and Roger are writing songs with one another again and I'm glad they seem to be enjoying it, because I love them to bits. Brilliant musicians. However, I take tremendous issue with them calling it a "Queen" album, because it's not Queen by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if they have any contractual obligations. Even if they did, surely they could just release (yet another) compilation?

In any case, we don't know for certain whether there is going to be an album or not. It looks like it could be heading that way, judging from the interview, but Brian seems to indicate that nothing is definite.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
I serve MacPhisto

To be fair... Queen+Paul Rodgers =/= Queen, and since the band started performing again they've made it fairly explicit that they aren't trying to replace Freddie in the sense of fill his shoes. Sure, they have a new singer, but they're going in a different direction. The new album, if there is one, isn't going to emulate A Night at the Opera, and it would be foolish to expect it to. If Queen+Paul Rodgers isn't a drastic enough name change, how about QPR? The Brian May Trio? How far do you have to go in order to get over a semantic quibble? They've acknowledged that it isn't the same band, I'm not sure what more people want from them.

When I went to see them in Toronto last March, they had written 1 or 2 new songs and played them during the show. I thought they were pretty good. Maybe not Freddie Mercury good, but they weren't bad songs by any standard.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
As someone who has always liked Queen, I'm not very thrilled about this, either. You're a new band creating new music, so give yourself a new name while you're at it.

And the fact that John Deacon isn't there, as GibsonGirl mentioned, makes it even less Queen. I mean, the guy wrote some of Queen's biggest hits, like "You're My Best Friend" and "Another One Bites The Dust", so while he wasn't as noticeable as Freddie Mercury, he was still an importnat part of Queen.
Exactly what I was going to say on both accounts.

Just give yourselves a new name and everything will be fine because Brian and Roger are superb musicians in their own rights.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 06:29 PM

SELLOUTS

THERE'S NO QUEEN WITHOUT FREDDIE AND JOHN

But don't worry my friends, the new album will be just as dreadful as the godawful voice and stage presence of Paul Rodgers

Is this the "Queen" singer?

or is this the Queen singer

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
Old 10-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

It probably won't be a great album, but I like Brian May and he can do whatever the heck he likes to. Heaven forbid he enjoy himself in the studio for a while and have a little fuck around and maybe turn out a 'Queen' album.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Ugh, I really don't like Paul....He can sing but he can't hit any notes that Freddie hit...

I wouldn't call them sellouts because I think Brian just wants to go back in...

This album would be nothing like any of the other Queen albums..
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Well, they can do whatever the hell they want I guess, but sorry guys, it's not a "Queen" album without Freddie,

Tags
queen