Queen back in studio....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nminor

The Fly
Queen to record new album-

Queen are to record their first studio album in 15 years.The British rockers haven't laid down any new tracks since the death of their iconic frontman Freddie Mercury in 1991.The band's guitarist, Brian May, confirmed: "We have about three weeks booked in the studio at the moment."On the new album, Freddie will be replaced by former Free singer Paul Rodgers.Brian said: "It was going to be just exploratory to see what happened when Paul and Roger and I were in the same room with a recording machine."But we're already deep into it and we already have some very good material so I'm pretty excited about that: it's very new, very different.
"There may be enough there to create an album, though it's early days yet. At the moment it's just a few tracks but we'll see how it goes. It's pretty exciting."This will not be the first time Brian, Paul and drummer Roger Taylor had joined forces - the trio toured Europe and Japan in 2005 and North America earlier this year.Brian concluded: "We don't really have anything to prove but we have a lot of passion still in our bodies and it seems to be finding a good place at the moment."

http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1214833.php/Queen_to_record_new_album

All I have to say is why?

Freddie Mercury, R.I.P.

Interesting... Yeah, I don't really know how I'd feel about a new Queen album without Freddie. :| Then again, they aren't the only band who have continued to make records without their original lead singer.

Oh, hell no. :mad: Brian and Roger, you two are going slightly mad. namkcuR is right. There is no Queen without Freddie Mercury. If they were, perhaps, recording an album under a different a name it wouldn't make me half as annoyed as I currently am. Touring is one thing, but an album...?

I'm not buying it if they do end up releasing it. And anyway, people forget that another very important member isn't with the current incarnation of "Queen." John. I know he didn't write as much material as Freddie, Brian and Roger, but he's still an important part of Queen to me.

As someone who has always liked Queen, I'm not very thrilled about this, either. You're a new band creating new music, so give yourself a new name while you're at it.

And the fact that John Deacon isn't there, as GibsonGirl mentioned, makes it even less Queen. I mean, the guy wrote some of Queen's biggest hits, like "You're My Best Friend" and "Another One Bites The Dust", so while he wasn't as noticeable as Freddie Mercury, he was still an importnat part of Queen.

well, i don't really have a problem with these dudes going into the studio and making music. that's what people who love to make music are supposed to do,.
though i do agree it's not queen. but enough of this bullshit about it somehow diminishing queen. no queen fan in their right mind is going to think this is a queen record without freddy mercury and john deacon. and nobody in their right mind is gonna think that 'a day at the races' suddenly sucks because these dudes wrote some new tunes. that doesn't make any sense.
i guess i'd rather they didn't call it queen to avoid confusion, but they may still have contractual obligations as that band (do they owe any albums to their label? i'm honestly not sure...). the name is marketing at this point, after all.
anyway, good for them. i hope they're having a blast

dudeman said:
nobody in their right mind is gonna think that 'a day at the races' suddenly sucks because these dudes wrote some new tunes. that doesn't make any sense.

You're right, it doesn't make sense. Mainly because no-one here even insinuated that that was the case. :wink: Of course Queen's legacy won't diminish because of this. Brian and Roger could release a collection of tapes with them clucking like hens, and that wouldn't change the fact that A Night At The Opera is the greatest rock album ever recorded.

Yes, by all means, record music! I'm glad that Brian and Roger are writing songs with one another again and I'm glad they seem to be enjoying it, because I love them to bits. Brilliant musicians. However, I take tremendous issue with them calling it a "Queen" album, because it's not Queen by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if they have any contractual obligations. Even if they did, surely they could just release (yet another) compilation?

In any case, we don't know for certain whether there is going to be an album or not. It looks like it could be heading that way, judging from the interview, but Brian seems to indicate that nothing is definite.

To be fair... Queen+Paul Rodgers =/= Queen, and since the band started performing again they've made it fairly explicit that they aren't trying to replace Freddie in the sense of fill his shoes. Sure, they have a new singer, but they're going in a different direction. The new album, if there is one, isn't going to emulate A Night at the Opera, and it would be foolish to expect it to. If Queen+Paul Rodgers isn't a drastic enough name change, how about QPR? The Brian May Trio? How far do you have to go in order to get over a semantic quibble? They've acknowledged that it isn't the same band, I'm not sure what more people want from them.

When I went to see them in Toronto last March, they had written 1 or 2 new songs and played them during the show. I thought they were pretty good. Maybe not Freddie Mercury good, but they weren't bad songs by any standard.

phanan said:
As someone who has always liked Queen, I'm not very thrilled about this, either. You're a new band creating new music, so give yourself a new name while you're at it.

And the fact that John Deacon isn't there, as GibsonGirl mentioned, makes it even less Queen. I mean, the guy wrote some of Queen's biggest hits, like "You're My Best Friend" and "Another One Bites The Dust", so while he wasn't as noticeable as Freddie Mercury, he was still an importnat part of Queen.

Exactly what I was going to say on both accounts.

Just give yourselves a new name and everything will be fine because Brian and Roger are superb musicians in their own rights.

SELLOUTS :madspit:

THERE'S NO QUEEN WITHOUT FREDDIE AND JOHN

But don't worry my friends, the new album will be just as dreadful as the godawful voice and stage presence of Paul Rodgers

Is this the "Queen" singer?
bad%20company.jpg

or is this the Queen singer

freddie13.jpg

Freddie%20Mercury.jpg

FREDDIE-MERCURY--QUEEN.gif

mercury.jpg

freddie%20mercury%208%20-%20live.jpg

FreddieMercuryKing450.jpg

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

It probably won't be a great album, but I like Brian May and he can do whatever the heck he likes to. Heaven forbid he enjoy himself in the studio for a while and have a little fuck around and maybe turn out a 'Queen' album.

Ugh, I really don't like Paul....He can sing but he can't hit any notes that Freddie hit...

I wouldn't call them sellouts because I think Brian just wants to go back in...

This album would be nothing like any of the other Queen albums..

http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/queen recording first album in 15 years_1011810

QUEEN RECORDING FIRST ALBUM IN 15 YEARS

The new-look QUEEN are in the studio recording the band's first album since late frontman FREDDIE MERCURY died in 1991 Guitarist BRIAN MAY recruited former FREE singer PAUL RODGERS to take over vocal duties for a series of live dates earlier this year (06) And the pair are now with drummer ROGER TAYLOR recording new Queen songs for a forthcoming release May says, "Roger, Paul and I have been in the studio the last few days working on new material Quite an occasion really "This is our first new Queen recording session for 15 years It sounds pretty amazing to my ears Very different from anything Paul or Queen have ever done - and pretty epic "
25/10/2006 08:02

:yuck:

Pretty much Bono when he talks about a new U2 album :tsk:

There's NO WAY that the new "Queen" album will be better than what Freddie wrote back in the true Queen days :heart:

That washed up dinosaur that is Paul Rodgers will never be able to even come close to Freddie songs like Killer Queen, In The Lap Of The Gods, Bohemian Rhapsody, Love Of My Life, Somebody To Love, We Are The Champions, etc, etc

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

let's face it
when these 2 guys are going to make an album people are always going to compare it to Queen anyway
so I do understand why they just continue naming the band Queen - hell, everyone else will
chances the album will sound somewhat like Queen are also high enough since Brian May probably won't start sounding like anyone else after 372 years in his career

it might end up being a decent album or a good one and probably not as good as Queen
but I am curious to hear some of it though

They should stop calling QUEEN because they aren't QUEEN.

I don't care whatever s*** they want to put onto album, but with another name :madspit:

Such a lack of respect to the memory of the greatest frontman of all times :sad:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
perhaps they can do a double bill with INXS

:lmao:

ponkine said:

I don't care whatever s*** they want to put onto album, but with another name :madspit:

Such a lack of respect to the memory of the greatest frontman of all times :sad:

:up:

Yeah, prehaps Queen and The New Guy - Whatever the album may be called. (which is what they have been tour as anyway)

ponkine said:

i reckon nobody, and i mean NOBODY, respects freddie mercury as much as brian may and roger taylor.

ponkine said:

SHOW MUST GO ON... Freddie would be really sad if people who love music can't or won't do it anymore because HE's gone...

and you show no respect for Roger and Brian... I would kill to have the life those 2 have had...

so THE WHO shouldn't be called the who because 2 members are dead... and The Rolling Stones also because that's not the original line up...

Maybe I should change my last name... you know, because my grandmother died a few years ago...

:tsk:

WHAT IF this record is the next best thing since Sliced Bread, Acthung Baby, A Night at the Opera and Snakes on a Plane?...

I hope it could reach that status, and all the people who moan would shut the hell up....

ROCK AND ROLL MUST LIVE ON!!!

i suppose you're right, people should give it a chance... i mean, it's not as bad as INXS' replacing their dead singer with a reality show... that's just cringe worthy.

ac/dc replaced their singer after his death and proceeded to release their biggest and best album with the new guy :shrug:

i guess it's worth a shot, but freddie was such a powerful figure that it'll be tough for anyone not to see the name queen and associate it with him.

"Without Freddie, there isn't a band called Queen"
Brian May 1992

This should be the end of this thread

ponkine said:
"Without Freddie, there isn't a band called Queen"
Brian May 1992

This should be the end of this thread

Which is why the band is now "Queen + Paul Rodgers" and not "Queen". And if anyone bitching about this incarnation of the band actually took the time to do some research they'd find that the band tributes Freddie every single show. But, you know, whatever. Feel free to ignore that argument. It's nothing but disrespect of Freddie, that's clearly all this is. It's not like the constituent members of Queen actually contributed something to the band and therefore are worthy of its legacy or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom