Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
God Save The Queen :drool: :yes: :laugh: :heart:

Does anybody else in here like Queen ? :rockon:

I personally think that they were simply FANTASTIC, amazing, innovative, fresh, unique and landmark.

While their 70s were Rock at the finest level of composition, their 80s were experimental, adding new sounds, more keyboards, pop influences, etc, etc. I love every Queen album, except for Hot Space.

Moreover, I really believe they were a better live band than U2, because since their first LP tour until their last gig at Knewborth 1986, they were fantastic performers as well showmen, specially Freddie.

I haven´t seen no other band that can make sing every single song in front of 250,000 people (Rock in Rio 1985) as one, and every gig was an event, just remember Hammersmith 1979, Sao Paulo 1981 (130,000 people attended at Morumbi Stadium, biggest attendance for a single band concert at that time!), Live Aid 1985 (sorry guys, but the kings of that event weren´t U2, were Queen) Wembley 1986, Knewborth 1986, etc, etc.

Also I haven´t seen no other band with more Stadium anthems as Queen. "We Will Rock You", "We Are The Champions", "Tie Your Mother Down", "Radio Ga Ga", "Love Of My Life", "Save Me", "In The Laps Of God", "Friends Will Be Friends", "A Kind Of Magic", "Spread Your Wings", "39", "Is This The World We Created", "Under Pressure", "Somebody To Love", etc, etc

Good news for you, Queen fans.
This is more than just a rumor, because in August it was posted the the results of a poll with more than 1100 votes on the official Brian May site (www.brianmay.com). And fans voted for the new Queen concert on DVD...

Houston, USA, 1977 :drool: (a 70s gig at last !!). In case you don´t know, the release of "Queen On Fire - Live At The Bowl" was because of another poll, in which the famous Milton Keynes 1982 gig was voted as the next Queen release on DVD !!.

As what happened with the Milton Keynes concert, so far there isn´t a complete video version circulating among collectors, so it will be more exciting to see it complete for the first time.
Here´re the results:

What should the next live Queen DVD release be?

Houston (USA - 1977) 27% 311

Hyde Park (London, UK - 1976) 15% 172

Rainbow Theatre (London, UK - 1974) 14% 165

Concert For Kampuchea - Hammersmith Odeon (London, UK - 1979) 12% 138

Hammersmith Odeon (London, UK - 1975) 10% 113

Rock In Rio (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 1985) (Both nights seperately) 9% 104

Budapest, Hungary (1986) 6% 67

Tokyo, Japan (10-04-1979) 4% 42

Yogishi Auditorium (Tokyo, Japan - 1985) 2% 22

Seibu Lions Stadium (Tokorozawa , Japan - 1982) 1% 7

total votes: 1141

Visit this link http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html (search August 2005)

All can I say is WOW!!! the Houston 1977 was truly outstanding, with every member in top form, specially Freddie´s voice and Roger´s drumming. It was the first time they performed their anthems "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions", and it´s so amazing to listen to them almost as studio versions, with Freddie in excellent vocal shape.

It will be the first time that songs as "Death On Two Legs", "The Millionaire Waltz", "You're My Best Friend", "39", "White Man", Stone Cold Crazy" or others will appear on DVD.

Peace :wave:

Last edited:
The most original/creative rock band of all time.

Glam Rock/Bluegrass/Opera/Ragtime/Folk/Pop

Nobody does that today. Cause nobody is talented enough.

not so much a case of people not doing it, i'm sure plenty of people do it but don't get the exposure they 'deserve' :huh:

Queen II's a personal favourite of mine.

Queen is the Queen of music...................no discussion!

Unfortunately Brian May and Roger Taylor had nothing else to do other than profane Freddie's memory.......................
Unbelieveble what they've done for money.............

Queen + Paul Rodgers
:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

how funny, just yesterday I downloaded a huge amount of Queen songs, just cause my turntable wont work in my car, haha.

queen are the most underrated band ever, despite all the credit they get.
every member could write and sing and play like nobody else. they were right there with the beatles and the stones and led zeppelin. any discussion of the best bands of all time that doesn't include queen is simply wrong.

I love Queen! They are amazing! I was at one point heavily into them! They're all great musicians. Freddie Mercury's voice was extraordinary, simply amazing!!! Great fucking band with lots of great songs!! :up:

Here's my Queen compilation I did a few weeks ago:

01. I Want It All
02. Fat Bottomed Girls
03. Another One Bites The Dust
04. It’s Late
05. Let Me Live
06. I Want To Break Free
07. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
08. Hammer To Fall
09. Put Out The Fire
10. Tear It up
11. Save Me
12. Bohemian Rhapsody
13. Under Pressure
14. Keep Yourself Alive
15. Tie Your Mother Down
16. Now I’m Here
17. One Year Of Love
18. Made In Heaven
19. No One But You
20. We Are The Champions
21. We Will Rock You
22. These Are The Days of Our Lives
23. One Vision
24. Who Wants To Live Forever
25. I Was Born To Love You
26. Love Of My Life
27. ‘39
28. A Kind Of Magic

Thanks for the iPod I no longer have to restrain myself from just 80 minutes of music. :love:

Here´s the Houston 11-12-1977 setlist :drool:

1. A Day At The Races(Intro)
2. We Will Rock You(Fast)
3. Brighton Rock
4. Somebody To Love
5. Death On Two Legs
6. Killer Queen
7. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
8. I'm In Love With My Car
9. Get Down Make Love
10. The Millionaire Waltz
11. You're My Best Friend
12. Liar
13. Love Of My Life
14. ' 39
15. My Melancholy Blues
16. White Man
17. The Prophet's Song
18. Guitar Solo
19. Now I'm Here
20. Stone Cold Crazy
21. Bohemian Rhapsody
22. Keep Yourself Alive
23. Tie Your Mother Down
24. We Will Rock You
25. We Are The Champions
26. Sheer Heart Attack
27. Jailhouse Rock
28. God Save The Queen

dudeman said:
queen are the most underrated band ever, despite all the credit they get.

That's new to me.....................queen most underrated band ever???

By who???

Freddie is almost being sanctified, Brian's name is in many top ten guitarists lists, Roger and John got and get still resonance...............
I mean, it's about 13 years that the band no more exists (physically), this doesn't mean they got underrated...............

Who ever would be or has been so unconscious to underrate them...........I still watch many specials about them running on tv with lots of music criticians appreciation

ponkine said:

1. A Day At The Races(Intro)
3. Brighton Rock
4. Somebody To Love
5. Death On Two Legs
6. Killer Queen
7. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
8. I'm In Love With My Car
9. Get Down Make Love
10. The Millionaire Waltz
11. You're My Best Friend
12. Liar
13. Love Of My Life
14. ' 39
15. My Melancholy Blues
16. White Man
17. The Prophet's Song
18. Guitar Solo
19. Now I'm Here
20. Stone Cold Crazy
21. Bohemian Rhapsody
22. Keep Yourself Alive
23. Tie Your Mother Down
24. We Will Rock You
25. We Are The Champions
26. Sheer Heart Attack
27. Jailhouse Rock
28. God Save The Queen

Holy... :drool:

I love Queen, especially early Queen. I'm not fond of the stuff they did in the late 80s, but their work in the 70s was amazing.

babyman said:

That's new to me.....................queen most underrated band ever???

By who???

Freddie is almost being sanctified, Brian's name is in many top ten guitarists lists, Roger and John got and get still resonance...............
I mean, it's about 13 years that the band no more exists (physically), this doesn't mean they got underrated...............

Who ever would be or has been so unconscious to underrate them...........I still watch many specials about them running on tv with lots of music criticians appreciation

Look at it this way. Radiohead threads on this board get pages and pages of drooling. This thread will get 2.

As a Queen fan who is but a mere 20 years of age, I'm going to have to dissent babyman's opinion on the new tour: I don't think that this is profane in any sense of the word. First, they aren't creating any new songs and calling them 'Queen' songs; second, they're 'Queen with Paul Rodgers' and not merely 'Queen'; third, it gives an opportunity for young fans, such as myself, who couldn't have possibly seen Queen live (and, even if we did (which I haven't) wouldn't remember it) to be witness to the wholly awesome experience that is a Queen live show, at least in some sort of capacity. They aren't claiming to be Freddie, and they recognize that he's not a man who can be replaced. That kind of talent is rare, if not unique; there can only ever be one Freddie Mercury - but that doesn't mean that people should be SOL. Sure, it isn't going to be Freddie Mercury good, but Brian May and Roger Taylor, (and maybe John Deacon?) are far more talented than most bands touring today; that alone makes it worthwhile.

I mean, money or not, if Brian May wants money, all he has to do is put on a show within a 4 hour drive of here and I'll get my ass on a bus to go see it. To say that no Queen songs should ever be performed live again because it besmirches Freddie's memory is wrong - I mean, hell, didn't My Chemical Romance and The Used just do a godawful cover of Under Pressure? Now -that- is something that would have Freddie rolling in his grave. On the other hand, the fact that people still love his music would make him happy, and I don't think he'd want to deny us his gift.

If my choice is 3/4 of Queen, in all their glory, or MCR+tU (or any other shitty band doing a miserable cover of an otherwise perfect song), I'm going to take the Queen that I can get any day.

:shrug:

ponkine said:

as I said in a thread I started in January I think (that only got about 2 pages too), this is THE GREATEST ROCK SONG EVER... hands down...

I really was hating WWRY... because it's boring, just damn too easy and too muchof a crowd pleaser... it had gotten stale (like Pride maybe, but I choose Pride any day)...

BUT... the Fast Version... is... wow... the greatest rock song ever... vitality, anger, pasion, all wraped up NOT in a 2:30 mins anthem, but a 2:30 mins WARSONG, a thing of such power that all you get to say at the end is "what was THAT?" and listen again and again and again, something that with the original you'd be sick around the 4th time.

You said it... Queen, the most underrated superband of the world.

27. Jailhouse Rock

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA????? :ohmy:

I HAVE to listen to that :drool:

"Tie Your Mother Down" :rockon:

Towards the end of the tune he sings

"give me every inch of your love."

People were surprised he was gay?:mad:

That always kindof suprised me too, actually.

Were people not watching him dance around on stage? He actually had fashion sense? ... 'Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy'?? Yeah.

My eyes are too tired to read the whole thread :shifty:

Saw Queen on The Game tour (82?) at Irvine Meadows in S.Calif (it's changed names many times since then). Freddy & company put on an awesome show :up:

And I'm gonna take my daughter to see them at the Hollywood Bowl on 10/22. Crappy seats, but we will still be there. And I always loved Paul Rodgers voice - never got to see Bad Co., Free, The Firm,... etc. So.... it's all good :yes:

Bohemiam Rhapsody is one of the most creative pieces of music I've ever heard.

Great Band, Freddie Merc was one of the greatest ever!

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
As a Queen fan who is but a mere 20 years of age, I'm going to have to dissent babyman's opinion on the new tour: I don't think that this is profane in any sense of the word. First, they aren't creating any new songs and calling them 'Queen' songs; second, they're 'Queen with Paul Rodgers' and not merely 'Queen'; third, it gives an opportunity for young fans, such as myself, who couldn't have possibly seen Queen live (and, even if we did (which I haven't) wouldn't remember it) to be witness to the wholly awesome experience that is a Queen live show, at least in some sort of capacity. They aren't claiming to be Freddie, and they recognize that he's not a man who can be replaced. That kind of talent is rare, if not unique; there can only ever be one Freddie Mercury - but that doesn't mean that people should be SOL. Sure, it isn't going to be Freddie Mercury good, but Brian May and Roger Taylor, (and maybe John Deacon?) are far more talented than most bands touring today; that alone makes it worthwhile.

I mean, money or not, if Brian May wants money, all he has to do is put on a show within a 4 hour drive of here and I'll get my ass on a bus to go see it. To say that no Queen songs should ever be performed live again because it besmirches Freddie's memory is wrong - I mean, hell, didn't My Chemical Romance and The Used just do a godawful cover of Under Pressure? Now -that- is something that would have Freddie rolling in his grave. On the other hand, the fact that people still love his music would make him happy, and I don't think he'd want to deny us his gift.

If my choice is 3/4 of Queen, in all their glory, or MCR+tU (or any other shitty band doing a miserable cover of an otherwise perfect song), I'm going to take the Queen that I can get any day.

:shrug:

Do you really think Brian hasn't done it only for money in the end?
Clearly he can do all he wants, he has the copyrights of the songs and of the name "Queen".
You talk as a young fan who is glad to hear Queen songs, and that's good, of course. But you don't attend Queen, neither John was there! This is the fact, where was Queen?? They aren't there anymore, I suppose you know what kind of concerts Queen used to do.
Talk to an oldie Queen fan, he will never appreciate this, young fan do because they haven't lived the magic of having a band like them. What would you say if Edge and Larry would assume a new singer, and performing as U2+the new singer??
Wouldn't you get pissed off knowing for example what U2 concerts were with Bono, would you ever imagine any kind of substitute?? U2 are Bono, Edge, Adam , Larry.............if two of them wouldn't be at their place would you still call Edge and Larry U2?? I would call them the former guitarist and the former drummer of U2
That's the same with Queen, the 4 men together have done too much great things to accept that 2 of them assume paul rodgers (is he really that worth Freddie's substitute?? Freddie never needed a bunch of chorus members to hide an incapacity of reaching the high notes........). The ones who have Freddie in their eyes cannot tolerate it, Freddie was the master of Queen, he was everything in that band........
That's the problem, it would have sounded a lot better if they would have call themselves "A tribute to Queen", not Half the Queen and paul rodgers. I also dislike the new live album title "The return of the Champions"..............wow, Freddie lives again and John is performing having a satellite connection............
I'm afraid, but Brian and Roger did everything for money, they no longer had the same resonance they used to have and so they needed to resurrect the name "Queen" to have a bit back...........................

QUEEN :up:
find somebody to love - another one bites to dust - one vision
these 3 songs are just a few of their great work. they did some really different styles in a great artistic way. :rockon: :dancing: :bow:

Back
Top Bottom