Q - What is a CV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a bit more involved than a resume that has its own format.

Look it up on the internet for examples.

Melon

A curriculum vitae means the owner has earned a University degree or higher, otherwise you have a resume. I dont think it makes too much of difference these days - unless you apply for a job at a Uni!

Then again, we don't have a word for resume here in the Netherlands, we always use the term Curriculum Vitae (or mostly the abbreviation CV). So it's not a fancy, smancy word, it's a regular term. :)

Then again, it is the Dutch you're talking about... :D

C ya!

Marty

CV reply

Take it from an old experienced CV writer. Keep it short, two pages is ample, only stipulate facts and not too much detail. Use buzz words for how great you are. If they want a cv it usually means that they are looking for what you can do for them and not what you have done. eg; have achieved sales targets of 3million..... introduced and implemented systems for training of 20 staff.... etc. That kind of self promotion. There are really good scenarios on it and letter writing but I like to be different. Send in a video tape and they usually watch that first as people are generally lazy. They like to be able to put a name to a face and hear you speak and its easier than reading 2000 applications. attach a brief summary but they will be able to hear, see and identify with you, if you get to meet them then they already have a picture in their mind of you so it's more ingrained.. Good luck!

A CV is quite different that a resume.

It is especially used if you are looking for a reseach position of some type. I'm doing my Doctorate in pharmacy right now and it is used to show all publications we have done, areas in research that we have done, awards ect. It can be pretty much any length as where a resume should only be one page long and give a 'brief' history of work experience, activities and contact information.

A CV is also good to give to companies that are looking for interns and residents.

A CV is much different than a resume and is used for much differnt things.

CVs, as I have been told, are almost exclusively for positions in which a publication history is important. I maintain both a CV and a resume because I am a writer as well as an editor, and I have published poems, stories, and articles in various places.

So, no, a CV is NOT the same as a resume. ;)

Back
Top Bottom