Pyongyang, North Korea Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ax and John :wave:

Dangit, why couldn't the PRR album have leaked last night, before I got all that music off you... *L*

Yo :wave:

PRR > other music :wink:

There seems to have been some EXTREMELY bad blood regarding the departure of James Dobson; they never even made an official announcement that he'd left, just that they couldn't comment for legal reasons. One is insatiably curious. I reckon his departure really helped the shift though, given that they never replaced his violin. I think when he went, so did some of their influences, which is probably what allowed the electronic side to show through stronger and the proggy atmospheric side to decline.

I think at this stage I view The Dark Third as the band's greatest statement, but that in terms of songcraft, some of their best stuff is on AVO and - I'll need a few more listens before really committing to this view - H&A too. I'd rate Deus Ex Machina as the band's best song these days, just ahead of Trembling Willows, In Aurelia, The Intention Craft, Goshen's Remains, and Nimos And Tambos. Black Mourning is quickly becoming a favourite from the new album.

By the way, mentioning In Aurelia reminds me that it's another song from The Dark Third pointing towards AVO. You can actually sing the first verse of In Aurelia over the first verse of Deus Ex Machina.

One of The Sunset Sound's singles is online - let me dig it up.

Yeah that could really explain it, I'm curious about why that happened but I guess it's all water under the bridge now.

Both albums have their share of great songwriting, I find Dark Third to be a better album but harder to get into the mood to listen to it while AVO I can listen to all the time

Is it the Moving single? Because I just found that on a blog :lol:

I think they decided that the wine certainly keeps better at a constant, cooler temperature, although I didn't hear them discuss at what temperature it should be drunk. I guess it makes sense to store it in the fridge (or frudge - this is being studied at Auckland uni, apparently) but wait until it warms up in the glass before you drink it.

Dangit, why couldn't the PRR album have leaked last night, before I got all that music off you... *L*

Not sure they really found out anything new there! (Not that I know if it's been studied under strict scientific conditions before or not - you'd think the French would've!) We've known about storage at constant, cooler temperatures for ages, which is why wine is so often kept in basement cellars and why, in production, it is usually left to ferment in dark, cooler environments (I've heard of caves being used!).

I think Charlotte's even more pissed about just missing the PRR leak, given she won't get a chance to download it in New Zealand! I can just tell her all about it until she gets home. :evil:

(I should just say to the thread at this point that Charlotte's had to quickly head back to New Zealand for family reasons and will be there for the next few days, so I'm on my own for a bit! Not sure it's my place to really get into details; I'll let her do that when she's ready.)

Everybody here who hasn't heard Leave Them All Behind by Ride really needs to. Just putting that out there.

Yeah that could really explain it, I'm curious about why that happened but I guess it's all water under the bridge now.

Both albums have their share of great songwriting, I find Dark Third to be a better album but harder to get into the mood to listen to it while AVO I can listen to all the time

Is it the Moving single? Because I just found that on a blog :lol:

I'd love to know. Apparently some people DO know, but lips are sealed. I remember the band's official fan forum was even shut down at that point to stop any discussion. I was very worried that PRR were done. The fact we've now got two albums within two years is something I'm not sure I really thought would happen then.

Funnily enough, I'm the opposite - I find The Dark Third to be such an effortless listen, and I love playing it when I'm researching/writing. For me, it's also one of those albums with a heap of memories associated. That said, the band are so good at creating coherent albums (the prog roots at work still!) that all three flow very well and are easy to play from start to finish.

And yep, the Moving single is the one. I can't find Border Town. :(

Everybody here who hasn't heard Leave Them All Behind by Ride really needs to. Just putting that out there.

It's very good. First time listening. Although the vocalist sounds like a bored Damon Albarn.

Yo :wave:

PRR > other music :wink:

What have you been up to lately?

I used to say that about U2... and John Farnham before that. So I'll keep my options open now, I think. *L*

Not sure they really found out anything new there! (Not that I know if it's been studied under strict scientific conditions before or not - you'd think the French would've!) We've known about storage at constant, cooler temperatures for ages, which is why wine is so often kept in basement cellars and why, in production, it is usually left to ferment in dark, cooler environments (I've heard of caves being used!).

It does seem like a bit of a no-brainer. I shouldn't be surprised that Auckland Uni has a Wine Sciences department!

It's very good. First time listening. Although the vocalist sounds like a bored Damon Albarn.

Funny, I'd say the bored comparison goes the other way (Damon ain't very good). Though Ride are shoegaze; the vocals aren't meant to be front-and-centre.

If you haven't heard the Nowhere album, your life has no meaning.

I used to say that about U2... and John Farnham before that. So I'll keep my options open now, I think. *L*

I thought it was an Objective Australian Fact that You're The Voice > all other songs not by AC/DC.

It does seem like a bit of a no-brainer. I shouldn't be surprised that Auckland Uni has a Wine Sciences department!

I bet there's a uni devoted solely to wine in France. Whether devoted to the study of wine or the drinking of wine, weeellll ...

If you haven't heard the Nowhere album, your life has no meaning.

What a relief I have that one, then. :tongue:

I thought it was an Objective Australian Fact that You're The Voice > all other songs not by AC/DC.

Well yes, that's obviously true... :wink:

I bet there's a uni devoted solely to wine in France. Whether devoted to the study of wine or the drinking of wine, weeellll ...

Heheh.

:sigh: Do I have to get it?

(I feel like a slave. :panic:)

I'll get around to it sooner or later. I'm still busy discovering other stuffs.

Well, at the very least listen to its most popular song, Vapour Trail. Everybody faps over that, it's kind of a meeting point of shoegaze and Britpop. As far as shoegaze goes, Nowhere is part of the holy trinity with My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and Slowdive's Souvlaki (and I would suggest it's far superior to both). I know you dig early Verve, so there should be some Ride stuff up your alley.

If I remember correctly, the Vapour Trail video on YouTube (not that I advocate low quality audio, buuut ...) is hilariously early 90s.

How many people do this?

Elixir of choice now that torrents have declined a bit post-2007 and the destruction of Oink. I wouldn't download my music any other way at the moment. So much less hassle than torrents too.

I'm troubled; I didn't outright dislike Fight Fire on my third listen to the new PRR album.

There's a bit in the final song of the new PRR record, Armistice, where they repeat the word "deliverance", and I totally just misheard it as "Dylan Moran".

Now why aren't there songs about Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Rowan Atkinson, et al.?

There's a bit in the final song of the new PRR record, Armistice, where they repeat the word "deliverance", and I totally just misheard it as "Dylan Moran".

Now why aren't there songs about Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Rowan Atkinson, et al.?

Bill Bailey might have written some!

Deliverance... just makes me think of banjos.

So I just got around to downloading the Verve live EP Voyager 1, which has unreleased song South Pacific on it. Haven't got to South Pacific yet, but holy shit, the live version of Gravity Grave is amazing. Takes a huge gigantic dump over the studio version, and I love the studio version.

:uhoh:

Ax, did you get any snow last night??

Snow? I wish! It was cold, but not THAT cold.

I heard it was meant to slow around Mt Macedon way. Did you get any in Castlemaine?

Bill Bailey might have written some!

Deliverance... just makes me think of banjos.

Probably not about himself though!

Haha, me too.

I need to stop this eclectic taste thang. It's making a 2010 favourites playlist almost impossible to put together coherently!

Would've thought you had! It's a great track.

I've just never found the two songs separately ... guess I may well download the singles compilation to get them if you reckon they're quality, though.

Think there are a handful of Urban Hymns era b-sides I haven't heard either.

It's on iTunes and on YouTube. I'm guessing you're not fond of either but still worth checking them out. I actually haven't heard This Could Be My Moment, will do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom