Pyongyang, North Korea Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's worse, Superthread?

A. Eddie McGuire lovin' Collingwood.
B. Jeff Kennett lovin' Hawthorn.
C. Fremantle. Just Fremantle.

What's worse, Superthread?

A. Eddie McGuire lovin' Collingwood.
B. Jeff Kennett lovin' Hawthorn.
C. Fremantle. Just Fremantle.

A. You're being way too harsh on Fremantle, I do have a little soft spot for them. Maybe because we dealt them too much pain in the past.

Sydney is back on. Taking my father up for the first show. He's gonna have to head to the Cross or something for the second night though! :wink:

Woah, so much of rain today.

Has Melbourne been transplanted to England overnight or something?

So much rain. :panic:

But it was calm when I was walking home from school. Now it's back ... :up:

Now they're talking about the science behind the argument for storing wine in the fridge (specifically sauvignon blanc, which is apparently controversial).

NEW PURE REASON REVOLUTION ALBUM HAS LEAKED.

If you liked Amor Vincit Omnia, you're going to love this. If you miss the sprawling soundscapes of The Dark Third, you're going to keep missing them. As somebody with a foot in both camps, I'm digging this lots and pining for The Dark Third at the same time.

PS First song blows. What were they thinking? First PRR song I've ever actually disliked.

Haha, I see John got to it while I was writing a long post over on the tour forum and forgot to click "enter" on my post here ... should've refreshed before posting!

No way! :lol:

Now they're talking about the science behind the argument for storing wine in the fridge (specifically sauvignon blanc, which is apparently controversial).

Conclusions? If I remember correctly, white wine shouldn't be drunk straight out of the fridge - rather it should be served at around 15-18C. Served too cold, the aromas do not fully release. That said, we're all used to drinking it straight out of the fridge.

Yes yes it does, well maybe not sucks but on first listen bad song

It does improve, but the start is dreadful ... the "who gave you the right" bit is so cliched and poorly done. I hate that it starts off like this; talk about a negative first impression.

However, Black Mourning is an excellent song, and the album's conclusion is very strong. Like the last two albums, this flows so well - kind of hard to pick out individual highlights after just a couple of listens (I've had Black Mourning and Patriarch for a while).

It does improve, but the start is dreadful ... the "who gave you the right" bit is so cliched and poorly done. I hate that it starts off like this; talk about a negative first impression.

However, Black Mourning is an excellent song, and the album's conclusion is very strong. Like the last two albums, this flows so well - kind of hard to pick out individual highlights after just a couple of listens (I've had Black Mourning and Patriarch for a while).

Yeah it's a terrible start and a really bad first impression, it does get a lot better though. Just finishing my first listen gonna give it a second now, I liked it though

I've played the full album once, and then everything from track four onwards again. Taking a break now but will give it a full third listen soon.

Oddly enough, a couple of the professional reviews I've seen have praised Fight Fire. I don't understand. Early impression for me is that this'll rate only just below Amor Vincit Omnia for me. If Fight Fire weren't so bad, who knows if it could've scraped past ...

Any chance you could send a link to the reviews Ax?

Any idea if the change in band members is what caused their change of sound or if it was just the band felt like doing, I've been curious about that for a while

Goddamnit, the review I'm thinking of that really loved Fight Fire has either been taken down or I suck at searching. Sorry!

As for the change in sound, I think the electronic side has been lurking for a while, and I don't know if it can really be attributed to the band member changes around the Dark Third era. Golden Clothes, for instance, dates from the Dark Third era and fits in well with what they do now. Deus Ex Machina was being played on the Dark Third's tour too. Seems to be a fairly natural progression to me. The heavier riffing from some Dark Third songs (think Trembling Willows) is still alive and well.

What I think is funny is all the guises this band has been through. Little known fact is that they started life as a pop-punk outfit called The Sunset Sound. How the hell they got to The Dark Third from there is beyond me.

Yeah I really love Golden Clothes, I think for Dark Third it felt like the sound was there but buried, maybe the members who left were more against that sound being the forefront

Either way can't say I'm against the sound, they sound as great as ever; although I feel like they'll never top the Dark Third; which kind of makes me glad they didn't continue with that style

Any of their songs from that phase online?

Hi Ax and John :wave:

Yes way! Someone has actually named a species of snail (a mollusc, mind you) Crikey steveirwini. Sometimes I love scientists, even if they are trying to get insane clowns pissed.

Conclusions? If I remember correctly, white wine shouldn't be drunk straight out of the fridge - rather it should be served at around 15-18C. Served too cold, the aromas do not fully release. That said, we're all used to drinking it straight out of the fridge.

I think they decided that the wine certainly keeps better at a constant, cooler temperature, although I didn't hear them discuss at what temperature it should be drunk. I guess it makes sense to store it in the fridge (or frudge - this is being studied at Auckland uni, apparently) but wait until it warms up in the glass before you drink it.

Dangit, why couldn't the PRR album have leaked last night, before I got all that music off you... *L*

There seems to have been some EXTREMELY bad blood regarding the departure of James Dobson; they never even made an official announcement that he'd left, just that they couldn't comment for legal reasons. One is insatiably curious. I reckon his departure really helped the shift though, given that they never replaced his violin. I think when he went, so did some of their influences, which is probably what allowed the electronic side to show through stronger and the proggy atmospheric side to decline.

I think at this stage I view The Dark Third as the band's greatest statement, but that in terms of songcraft, some of their best stuff is on AVO and - I'll need a few more listens before really committing to this view - H&A too. I'd rate Deus Ex Machina as the band's best song these days, just ahead of Trembling Willows, In Aurelia, The Intention Craft, Goshen's Remains, and Nimos And Tambos. Black Mourning is quickly becoming a favourite from the new album.

By the way, mentioning In Aurelia reminds me that it's another song from The Dark Third pointing towards AVO. You can actually sing the first verse of In Aurelia over the first verse of Deus Ex Machina.

One of The Sunset Sound's singles is online - let me dig it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom