Put your money AND your vacation where your mouth is......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laird/Bono

Refugee
Wanna do something to help New Orleans cope?

My wife and I just cancelled our vacation and are spending same $$ helping Red Cross and several others to make a difference......... care to join us?

Don't think about helping .... DO IT!!!

good job Laird :up: I already donated to Red Cross online yesterday
5.gif

I did the same thing with what would have been a third U2 concert...........$$$$$$ that would have been paid for a ticket was donated instead.

good work.... spread the word.

If enough people DO what they THINK of doing it'll help out....

kind of a pay it forward deal...

We can't sit this one out ... too much at stake ...images too much too ignore

I donated $ yesterday at Red Cross and this weekend, I will be boxing up clothes to send to what ever shelters can use them.

Will donate food clothing and toys - also some cash

Laird/Bono said:
I find it sad that only 5 PEOPLE replied to this thread SHAME.........

Not everyone here feels the need to publicize their charitable/volunteer efforts. Many people choose to keep that private.

JessicaAnn said:

Not everyone here feels the need to publicize their charitable/volunteer efforts. Many people choose to keep that private.

Be very clear on this ... I'M not looking for a pat on the back...I'M trying to spread the word so others catch on to what I feel is a great idea...... Laird

I thought you were going to say to take a vacation there once it's cleaned up.

We did this after Ivan when Gulf Shores was destroyed. We spent $1200 to rent the beach house for a week (split between three families). That went to Meyer Realty who had done amazingly well getting their places ready after the disaster. All of their properties incurred damage, most was very significant damage or a total loss. Plus with 23 people in our group, you can imagine the amount of food, supplies, and souveniers we all bought. They were REALLY encouraging as many vacationers to come back as possible so I think we helped them more by going back and inviting friends to do back than just donating. Not that donating doesn't help, but vacationing is really what they needed, since it's their entire economy.

I'm making about $200 a month working as a volunteer for the Peace Corps in Africa. So I will have to sit this one out. I'll donate prayers though.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I thought you were going to say to take a vacation there once it's cleaned up.

We did this after Ivan when Gulf Shores was destroyed. We spent $1200 to rent the beach house for a week (split between three families). That went to Meyer Realty who had done amazingly well getting their places ready after the disaster. All of their properties incurred damage, most was very significant damage or a total loss. Plus with 23 people in our group, you can imagine the amount of food, supplies, and souveniers we all bought. They were REALLY encouraging as many vacationers to come back as possible so I think we helped them more by going back and inviting friends to do back than just donating. Not that donating doesn't help, but vacationing is really what they needed, since it's their entire economy.

That's nice but these people need help NOW ...... NOT in 18 months after things are cleaned up :huh:

Laird/Bono said:

That's nice but these people need help NOW ...... NOT in 18 months after things are cleaned up :huh:

That's true and I'm sure many people are donating whatever they can right now. However in the long term, people deciding to visit the areas affected by the hurricane is going to have a positive effect on their economy -- something which will be desperately needed in the long term.

Laird/Bono said:

Yes, there is a huge immediate need, but as with all disasters, there will be a tremendous long-term need in the months and years to come.

New Orleans is one of the most visited cities in the US and tourism is a huge part of the economy. According to the New Orleans Visitors Bureau:
* More than 10.1 million people visited the city last year.
* Total New Orleans visitor spending for 2004 amounted to $4.9 billion. This figure is up from 2003 by 8.1% and has surpassed the level of spending seen in 2000, which was $4.7 billion.

Just think about it -- there are all of the Carnival/Mardi Gras celebrations; the Sugar Bowl college football bowl game; New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Also, Southern Decadence one of the largest annual Gay/Lesbian celebrations in the nation and world, which attracts hundreds of thousands of people (and millions of dollar) to the city, was supposed to happen this weekend.

All of that is on-hold indefinitely. When things are cleaned up, they will still need our help in recovering economically. Tourism will be a great way to show (and give) support.

Let's not turn this into another one of those "who's-not-doing-enough/who's-giving-what" threads, and simply encourage people to help in whatever way they can. Immediate donations, plus looking into helping New Orleans rebuild its tourist economy, will both be beneficial.

Also, check into whether or not your company does matching gifts. Many small and large companies do, and mine is offering a 2-for-1 for donations made to the Red Cross through the end of September.

YOU ARE ALL missing my point... I'm not saying don't go down and spend money later (to help rebuild economy).... *GRRRRR.....*

I'm saying that people on roof tops, without food or water NEED HELP NOW

I'm just affraid people will sit this one out from their ez chairs saying " Boy this is terrible, someone oughtaa do something..."

Look at the pictures.... these people won't last until US TOURISTS make it down there to buy our " I :heart: New Orleans" t- shirts while on vacation a year from now

GOD, YOU PEOPLE ARE SO THICK HEADED!!!!!!

Well, I think it's pretty obvious they need help now and I'm sure people are doing whatever they can to help.....no need to judge based on a thread response, or lack thereof.

Laird/Bono said:
YOU ARE ALL missing my point... I'm not saying don't go down and spend money later (to help rebuild economy).... *GRRRRR.....*

I'm saying that people on roof tops, without food or water NEED HELP NOW

I'm just affraid people will sit this one out from their ez chairs saying " Boy this is terrible, someone oughtaa do something..."

Look at the pictures.... these people won't last until US TOURISTS make it down there to buy our " I :heart: New Orleans" t- shirts while on vacation a year from now

GOD, YOU PEOPLE ARE SO THICK HEADED!!!!!!

I don't have a helicoptor. I don't have a boat. I don't have a bus, nor a semi (or even a van) to transport people or supplies. I'm not able to pluck people from their rooftops (and neither are you, actually). The people who do have the equipment and training to do that are working to rescue those in need. It is a massive effort and it is frustrating for everyone that it isn't going faster, but for the safety of those doing the rescuing as well as those being rescued people just can't punge willy-nilly into various areas trying to get people off those rooftops. (and quite frankly even your cash donation doesn't make that part go any faster, so I don't quite get your irritation at others)

And money is pouring into aid organisations for immediate needs. I know in my area the TV stations are running phone banks for people to donate (and donations are very high) and other groups are currently transporting many semi loads of basic supplies (they check with disaster relief organisations in the areas first to see what was needed) to hard hit areas.

So relief is on it's way -- a lot of relief. Unfortunately, no matter the amount of relief it's still going to be a long hard road for those most affected.

Last edited:
indra said:

I don't have a helicoptor. I don't have a boat. I don't have a bus, nor a semi (or even a van) to transport people or supplies. I'm not able to pluck people from their rooftops (and neither are you, actually). The people who do have the equipment and training to do that are working to rescue those in need. It is a massive effort and it is frustrating for everyone that it isn't going faster, but for the safety of those doing the rescuing as well as those being rescued people just can't punge willy-nilly into various areas trying to get people off those rooftops. (and quite frankly even your cash donation doesn't make that part go any faster, so I don't quite get your irritation at others)

And money is pouring into aid organisations for immediate needs. I know in my area the TV stations are running phone banks for people to donate (and donations are very high) and other groups are currently transporting many semi loads of basic supplies (they check with disaster relief organisations in the areas first to see what was needed) to hard hit areas.

So relief is on it's way -- a lot of relief. Unfortunately, no matter the amount of relief it's still going to be a long hard road for those most affected.

Hey thanx for your input :wink:
I'll try to keep that in mind while I'm watching LIVE footage of people car-jacking each other at gun-point just to get their families to safety.

My only irritation was directed toward those who suggest waiting to help until they could plan a vacation around their effort to help.... YOU also missed my point..... I'm just upset..... that's all.

Arm chair activists piss me off, some people only take interest if there's an "all star concert " involved .... know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom