Pushkin Appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
anyone want to join me?

i know you do.

especially wonderful when read in russian. i'm sure it's better if you don't have to look up every other word in the dictionary :der:

I didn't get to appreciate his work until after I finished highschool. Sometimes I think it's a secret agenda of Literature classes in Russia to make studying the classics as boring and off-putting as possible. But when I read Pushkin later I loved it, :)

I can't imagine it translated into English though; to me there's just something so thoroughly... Russian about his writing I can't see how it survives translation into a language so different to Russian.

A while back I wanted to read Eugen Onegin, but our stupid public library doesn't have it. They did have a collection of his short stories, so I checked that out instead. Pretty good stuff. :up:

Bono's shades said:
Eugen Onegin

that would be the bane of my existence right now...stupid homework.

it's scary as hell when you see little kids who can recite lines and lines and lines of pushkin. they don't teach us that stuff in school...

Thanks for this thread, I appreciate Pushkin! Many of the people I like to read about in Russian history were big fans of his, of course. I'm sure it does lose something in the translation but it's still good. What a shame he died in a duel at a young age, with still so much left to give:(

Back
Top Bottom