Punk rock thread - Who here's a fan? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Punk rawk thread - sound off

Over the last year or so I've gotten quite into punk. My favs at the moment are The Clash, AFI, Bouncing Souls, Misfits, Minor Threat, Flogging Molly, etc. Any other punk fans? Come on, admit it!!!
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Ooo me!

Good Charlotte and Sum41

JUUUST KIDDING.

The ones I like, off the top of my head:
The Ramones, The Clash ( akorse), AFI, Alkaline Trio (do they count?), Bad Religion, Tiger Army (more psychobilly I think though), Beautiful Mistake, Icarus Line, Bouncing Souls, Black Halos, Main Street Saints, Tsunami Bomb, Rancid, to name a few.

Also I had heard songs by The Used way before they got their single on the radio. And it's weird bc that's like their poppiest song.

AFI
__________________

__________________
MonaVox is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Also, I've recommended Angelic Upstarts to many a Clash fan and they like 'em
__________________
MonaVox is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Tiger Army does kick kiester. I imagine you can count them, they used to open for AFI.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Tiger Army does kick kiester. I imagine you can count them, they used to open for AFI.
Oh Annabel Lee...

My friend Matthew who introduced me to their music got his hair cut to look like Nick 13's.

Oh yeah and I dunno how to classify Rye Coalition but they are awesome too.

And I love The Living End
__________________
MonaVox is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 02:23 PM
My roommate and I always talk about how we want to cut our hair like The Misfits/ AFI just to scare people. Then we'd have to wear Hot Topic clothes and act like douches though probably.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 03:23 PM
I walk around chanting WILL YOU BEEE MYYYY BE MY BELOVED

Hot Topic is expensive, but they have cool shirts
__________________
MonaVox is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Yeah, that's pretty scary.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #9
Bad Daddy Johnny
 
Johnny Swallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,925
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Why is it that Disco is no longer cool to like but Punk is still considered legit? In my mind the message was carried out by the Clash/Pistols/Ramones et al. All that is left is no longer shocking nor creative, just a bunch of mallrats trying to be PuNk As FuCk.

I prefer Mullet-Rock over Mall-Punk, at least they try. Come on Bear, join me.
__________________
Johnny Swallow is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Ok, but if you want to say that, why does rock even exist? Didnt the Beatles and Stones say everything they needed to say? How about gangsta rap? NWA and Public Enemy showed us what's what there too. Sorry, that point can be made with every kind of music. No matter what anyone says, Nirvana was straight forward punk, the whole music world sure acts like they had something to say and helped the music genre move forward. I do agree though, Hot Topic Punk is nothing more than bubblegum.

PS- If you think Minor Threat or Fugazi didnt have anything to say, you've got major problems.
PSS- none of the bands we've listed are mall punk
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:33 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow
Why is it that Disco is no longer cool to like but Punk is still considered legit? In my mind the message was carried out by the Clash/Pistols/Ramones et al. All that is left is no longer shocking nor creative, just a bunch of mallrats trying to be PuNk As FuCk.

well that's interesting. Bc early on a lot of the point of punk music was to kind of be like HEY LISTEN TO US.

And now songs from these pop-punk bands....for example Good Charlotte. Their song "lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" complains about rich people who complain. But I know that they do pretty well for themselves. So it doesn't really make sense for them to say things like that

Always see it on TV,
Or read it in the magazines,
Celebrities who want sympathy,
All they do is piss and moan,
Inside the Rolling Stone,
Talkin' about,
How hard life can be,
I'd like to see them spend a week,
Living life out on the streets,
I don't think they would survive,
If they could spend a day or two,
Walking in someone else's shoes,
I think they'd stumble and they'd fall,
They would fall,

Life styles of the rich and the famous,
They're always complainin', always complainin',
If money is such a problem,
Well they got mansions,
Think we should rob them


It's like... YOUSE GUYS ARE rich and famous, to some extent....RIGHT? So...why are YOU complainin' then, if you have no right to be? HUH?!!! GAH

What else... oh yeah so the political statement thing. I don't know if it's that it's not really applicable anymore (bc as we all know there is major stuff happening / about to happen with Iraq and all...), but it might just be that no one can do it right. I mean the punk attitude, the defiance, the anarchy, whatever you want to call it.... I just don't think anyone can really sufficiently or effectively express it anymore.

Furthermore, Punk is not just jumping around on stage with short pants. Watch a Sum 41 or New Found Glory video and ALL THEY DO is JUMP. IN UNISON. It's almost like dancing. o_O It's annoying...and the whining. Then they're like "NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO WHINE." They're boy bands for 13 year olds who think they are listening to better music....

It's really late, I hope I make sense.
__________________
MonaVox is offline  
Old 01-17-2003, 10:01 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
yertle-the-turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: York, UK and Singapore
Posts: 11,750
Local Time: 04:23 AM
Actually I figured out some time ago no one could actually be punk. I had a huge long explanation of it, bits which I don't remember. That said...

I love the Clash. I don't dig the Pistols too much, although I do like God Save The Queen and Anarchy. I'm also getting into the music of The Jam and the Buzzcocks, and I'm doing my darndest in finding Undertones stuff. And Joy Division I like. Do they count? Modern day "punk" influenced bands I like - Elastica (who make the most excellent punk-pop ever), the Manic Street Preachers (we NEED pompous arses in the music industry) and the Libertines (who remind me a lot of the Jam). And of course, I love the Ramones.
__________________
yertle-the-turtle is offline  
Old 01-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
Bad Daddy Johnny
 
Johnny Swallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,925
Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Ok, but if you want to say that, why does rock even exist? Didnt the Beatles and Stones say everything they needed to say? How about gangsta rap? NWA and Public Enemy showed us what's what there too. Sorry, that point can be made with every kind of music. No matter what anyone says, Nirvana was straight forward punk, the whole music world sure acts like they had something to say and helped the music genre move forward. I do agree though, Hot Topic Punk is nothing more than bubblegum.

PS- If you think Minor Threat or Fugazi didnt have anything to say, you've got major problems.
PSS- none of the bands we've listed are mall punk
Sure you could say that about many different style of music. But to me Punk is a sub-genre of Rock&Roll. The Beatles and Stones made great music and took that style as far as it could go really, that's why they (The Beatles at least) and other bands moved on. I think that each style (Punk/Alternative/Disco/Psychedellia etc.) has it's time and then moves on. The same thing with Gangsta rap, it's not really around as is used to be since it's a sub-genre of Rap as a whole. Nirvana was not straight forward punk, though they were largely influenced by it. If they were 'just punks' they would not have been able to move the music forward as they did. But sure Fugazi and Minor Threat have something to say, but to me punk is a dead medium. If I started a hardcore/ anarchist/political commentary DISCO band, it wouldn't matter how much I had to say...no one would take it seriously because Disco is dead.
__________________
Johnny Swallow is offline  
Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Elvis Presley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: eachnotesecure.com
Posts: 5,058
Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow


Sure you could say that about many different style of music. But to me Punk is a sub-genre of Rock&Roll. The Beatles and Stones made great music and took that style as far as it could go really, that's why they (The Beatles at least) and other bands moved on. I think that each style (Punk/Alternative/Disco/Psychedellia etc.) has it's time and then moves on. The same thing with Gangsta rap, it's not really around as is used to be since it's a sub-genre of Rap as a whole. Nirvana was not straight forward punk, though they were largely influenced by it. If they were 'just punks' they would not have been able to move the music forward as they did. But sure Fugazi and Minor Threat have something to say, but to me punk is a dead medium. If I started a hardcore/ anarchist/political commentary DISCO band, it wouldn't matter how much I had to say...no one would take it seriously because Disco is dead.
I'll drink to that.....

Maybe all it takes is a famous artist of that genre to pass on for the young artists of today to make it cool again, Joey Ramone and Joe strummer.

And now theres hope for disco with the passing of Maurice Gibb????

__________________
Elvis Presley is offline  
Old 01-17-2003, 10:38 AM   #15
New Yorker
 
DiGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the mountains of southwest VA
Posts: 2,818
Local Time: 04:23 PM
Count me in - I do not have the time to read this entire thread now, but will get caught up......my favs.

Social Distortion
The Bouncing
Operation Ivy - Every Punk fan must own.....
Rancid
__________________

__________________
DiGi is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com