Punk rock thread - Who here's a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Punk rawk thread - sound off

Over the last year or so I've gotten quite into punk. My favs at the moment are The Clash, AFI, Bouncing Souls, Misfits, Minor Threat, Flogging Molly, etc. Any other punk fans? Come on, admit it!!!

Last edited:
:wave: Ooo me!

Good Charlotte and Sum41 :der:

JUUUST KIDDING.

The ones I like, off the top of my head:
The Ramones, The Clash :)rolleyes: akorse), AFI, Alkaline Trio (do they count?), Bad Religion, Tiger Army (more psychobilly I think though), Beautiful Mistake, Icarus Line, Bouncing Souls, Black Halos, Main Street Saints, Tsunami Bomb, Rancid, to name a few. :tongue:

Also I had heard songs by The Used way before they got their single on the radio. And it's weird bc that's like their poppiest song. :huh:

:drool: AFI

Last edited:
Tiger Army does kick kiester. I imagine you can count them, they used to open for AFI.

u2popmofo said:
Tiger Army does kick kiester. I imagine you can count them, they used to open for AFI.

:D Oh Annabel Lee...

My friend Matthew who introduced me to their music got his hair cut to look like Nick 13's. :wink: :p

Oh yeah and I dunno how to classify Rye Coalition but they are awesome too.

And I love The Living End :drool:

My roommate and I always talk about how we want to cut our hair like The Misfits/ AFI just to scare people. Then we'd have to wear Hot Topic clothes and act like douches though probably.

I walk around chanting WILL YOU BEEE MYYYY BE MY BELOVED

Hot Topic is expensive, but they have cool shirts :eek:

Last edited:
Why is it that Disco is no longer cool to like but Punk is still considered legit? In my mind the message was carried out by the Clash/Pistols/Ramones et al. All that is left is no longer shocking nor creative, just a bunch of mallrats trying to be PuNk As FuCk.

I prefer Mullet-Rock over Mall-Punk, at least they try. Come on Bear, join me.

Ok, but if you want to say that, why does rock even exist? Didnt the Beatles and Stones say everything they needed to say? How about gangsta rap? NWA and Public Enemy showed us what's what there too. Sorry, that point can be made with every kind of music. No matter what anyone says, Nirvana was straight forward punk, the whole music world sure acts like they had something to say and helped the music genre move forward. I do agree though, Hot Topic Punk is nothing more than bubblegum.

PS- If you think Minor Threat or Fugazi didnt have anything to say, you've got major problems.
PSS- none of the bands we've listed are mall punk

Last edited:
Johnny Swallow said:
Why is it that Disco is no longer cool to like but Punk is still considered legit? In my mind the message was carried out by the Clash/Pistols/Ramones et al. All that is left is no longer shocking nor creative, just a bunch of mallrats trying to be PuNk As FuCk.

well that's interesting. Bc early on a lot of the point of punk music was to kind of be like HEY LISTEN TO US.

And now songs from these pop-punk bands....for example Good Charlotte. Their song "lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" complains about rich people who complain. But I know that they do pretty well for themselves. So it doesn't really make sense for them to say things like that

Always see it on TV,
Or read it in the magazines,
Celebrities who want sympathy,
All they do is piss and moan,
Inside the Rolling Stone,
Talkin' about,
How hard life can be,
I'd like to see them spend a week,
Living life out on the streets,
I don't think they would survive,
If they could spend a day or two,
Walking in someone else's shoes,
I think they'd stumble and they'd fall,
They would fall,

Life styles of the rich and the famous,
They're always complainin', always complainin',
If money is such a problem,
Well they got mansions,
Think we should rob them

It's like...:huh: YOUSE GUYS ARE rich and famous, to some extent....RIGHT? So...why are YOU complainin' then, if you have no right to be? HUH?!!! GAH :huh:

What else... oh yeah so the political statement thing. I don't know if it's that it's not really applicable anymore (bc as we all know there is major stuff happening / about to happen with Iraq and all...), but it might just be that no one can do it right. I mean the punk attitude, the defiance, the anarchy, whatever you want to call it.... I just don't think anyone can really sufficiently or effectively express it anymore.

Furthermore, Punk is not just jumping around on stage with short pants. Watch a Sum 41 or New Found Glory video and ALL THEY DO is JUMP. IN UNISON. It's almost like dancing. o_O It's annoying...and the whining. Then they're like "NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO WHINE." They're boy bands for 13 year olds who think they are listening to better music....

It's really late, I hope I make sense.

Last edited:
Actually I figured out some time ago no one could actually be punk. I had a huge long explanation of it, bits which I don't remember. That said...

I love the Clash. I don't dig the Pistols too much, although I do like God Save The Queen and Anarchy. I'm also getting into the music of The Jam and the Buzzcocks, and I'm doing my darndest in finding Undertones stuff. And Joy Division I like. Do they count? Modern day "punk" influenced bands I like - Elastica (who make the most excellent punk-pop ever), the Manic Street Preachers (we NEED pompous arses in the music industry) and the Libertines (who remind me a lot of the Jam). And of course, I love the Ramones.

u2popmofo said:
Ok, but if you want to say that, why does rock even exist? Didnt the Beatles and Stones say everything they needed to say? How about gangsta rap? NWA and Public Enemy showed us what's what there too. Sorry, that point can be made with every kind of music. No matter what anyone says, Nirvana was straight forward punk, the whole music world sure acts like they had something to say and helped the music genre move forward. I do agree though, Hot Topic Punk is nothing more than bubblegum.

PS- If you think Minor Threat or Fugazi didnt have anything to say, you've got major problems.
PSS- none of the bands we've listed are mall punk

Sure you could say that about many different style of music. But to me Punk is a sub-genre of Rock&Roll. The Beatles and Stones made great music and took that style as far as it could go really, that's why they (The Beatles at least) and other bands moved on. I think that each style (Punk/Alternative/Disco/Psychedellia etc.) has it's time and then moves on. The same thing with Gangsta rap, it's not really around as is used to be since it's a sub-genre of Rap as a whole. Nirvana was not straight forward punk, though they were largely influenced by it. If they were 'just punks' they would not have been able to move the music forward as they did. But sure Fugazi and Minor Threat have something to say, but to me punk is a dead medium. If I started a hardcore/ anarchist/political commentary DISCO band, it wouldn't matter how much I had to say...no one would take it seriously because Disco is dead.

Johnny Swallow said:

Sure you could say that about many different style of music. But to me Punk is a sub-genre of Rock&Roll. The Beatles and Stones made great music and took that style as far as it could go really, that's why they (The Beatles at least) and other bands moved on. I think that each style (Punk/Alternative/Disco/Psychedellia etc.) has it's time and then moves on. The same thing with Gangsta rap, it's not really around as is used to be since it's a sub-genre of Rap as a whole. Nirvana was not straight forward punk, though they were largely influenced by it. If they were 'just punks' they would not have been able to move the music forward as they did. But sure Fugazi and Minor Threat have something to say, but to me punk is a dead medium. If I started a hardcore/ anarchist/political commentary DISCO band, it wouldn't matter how much I had to say...no one would take it seriously because Disco is dead.

I'll drink to that.....:yes:

Maybe all it takes is a famous artist of that genre to pass on for the young artists of today to make it cool again, Joey Ramone and Joe strummer.

And now theres hope for disco with the passing of Maurice Gibb????

:|

Count me in - I do not have the time to read this entire thread now, but will get caught up......my favs.

Social Distortion
The Bouncing
Operation Ivy - Every Punk fan must own.....
Rancid

Turning rebellion into money

I'm a big fan of punk...especially of the Clash. Let us not forget the women of punk either!!!

Re: Turning rebellion into money

~LadyLemon~ said:
Let us not forget the women of punk either!!!

performing3.jpg

Swallow -- you worry me.

I just read an article written many many years ago by Lester Bangs about being on tour with the Clash for a week. Don't know if its on the 'Net so try and track it down if you can.

ignoring the standrad 'what is punk/who is punk/can punk still exist' argument that goes on whenever the word 'punk' is ever mentioned:

i go back and forth between being really into punk rock and then being into other things, but i love the clash, dropkick murpyhs, flogging molly, bad religion, the ramones...i keep listening to 'nevermind the bollocks' and going "this is such crap, but ti's so great!!!" and i'm into ska punk stuff like the spitvalves, mustard plug, and a bunch of other bands...oh yeah, i forgot about rancid--first punk band i really got into...

Oh yeah!!!!!
Lars Fredrickson and the Bastards, US Bombs, Stiff Little Fingers, Electric Frankenstein, Social D, The Dropkick Murpheys, The Ducky Boys, Showcase Showdown, Swinngin Udders, RANCID, Choking Victem, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, NOFX, Millencollin, Union 13, Dead Milkmen, AND SO MUCH MORE.

"Punk rock means freedom to me." - Kurt Cobain

i can't beleive i forgot about stiff little fingers! next to the pogues, that's all i've been listening to in the last week and a half...

and the business--"guinness boys"

I've just started getting into punk and punkish kinda music... the Clash, Alkaline Trio, MxPx... good stuff. :) Have any of you guys heard of the Dropkick Murphys? One of 'em went to my high school! :cool: lol

DROPKICK MURPHYS!!!!

one of my favourite bands!!!

am REALLY bummed that i can't go to ANY of the st. patrick's day weekend shows this year...

I LOVE THE DROPKICKS OH SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's go murpheys is all I have to say about that.
MxPx on the other hand, I have issues as they are from bremerton (near seattle in case y'all don't know washington.) So growing up punk here EVERY DAMN TIME you wanted to go to a punk show you had to see them. they were also pretty self absorbed and not very nice to their fans. (Big fish, small pond syndrom, knowwhatimsayin.)
Anyway it always weirded me out that although you can meet Mickey Fitz and he will treat you like a little queen MxPx somehow thinks they are cool enough to ignore their fans. Funk that, I say. If the lead of the Business can take the time to treat me nicely so can you Bremerton boys.

I know where your from...

you can kinda tell they're a bit self absorbed from their lyrics, right? aren't they pretty much like fenix-tx and stuff like that?

i could be wrong. i try to stay away from that side of punk...try to ignore it's there...unfortunetly, unless you're 21 here, you can't go to a punk show without half the bands on the bill being whiny blink 182 fans...

the business=very good band

Back
Top Bottom