Punk rock, Judge Judy style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
This is several years old, but as I haven't seen it before, I assume there must be others here who didn't know about it either. It's not U2 related, but this clip had me in stitches. Johnny Rotten appearing on Judge Judy?! I nearly fell off my chair laughing!

Good to see that thje spirit of punk rock lives on. Here's the video clip:
http://www.johnlydon.com/jltv2.html#judy

Background info: http://www.johnlydon.com/judypr.html

Earlier that summer, Williams had been hired to play drums on Lydon's concert tour in support of Lydon's latest Virgin Records album, "Psycho's Path." During rehearsals, Williams' behavior became increasingly provocative, adversely affecting the camaraderie of the band. Under intense time pressure with confirmed concert dates looming, replacing Williams was not considered an option. Instead, Lydon's representatives scheduled a dinner meeting with Williams several days before the first concert date, hoping to discuss the situation and resolve various issues in a peaceful, rational manner.

During the dinner -- attended by Williams, Lydon, Lydon's manager, Eric Gardner, and tour manager -- Williams became increasingly agitated. When Lydon excused himself to use the restroom, Williams continued to argue with Lydon's manager and tour manager in Lydon's absence. Just as Lydon was returning to the dinner table, Williams announced that if his demands were not met he was quitting the tour. As Williams made his announcement, he leaped to his feet and bumped the top of his head into Lydon's chin. Williams immediately left the premises on his own accord, leaving behind a stunned Lydon & Co.

Faced with Williams' unexpected resignation, Lydon was forced to cancel the first tour date while frantically hiring and rehearsing a replacement drummer. The canceled show cost Lydon $6,000 in lost revenue, not to mention lost promotional opportunities and goodwill among disappointed fans. Rather than pursue Williams for recompense, Lydon considered the matter closed.

In the weeks following the July dinner incident, Williams filed criminal battery charges against Lydon. The charges were immediately dismissed when police investigators determined that Williams' case was completely unfounded. A subsequent civil suit was filed by Williams in small claims court claiming damages of $5,000 in lost wages and "civil battery."

Upon learning of the ongoing dispute between Lydon and Williams, the staff of "Judge Judy" recently approached Lydon's representatives and offered to adjudicate. When Gardner called Lydon to inform him of Judge Judy's offer, Lydon accepted immediately, exclaiming, "I love this country!" Lydon and Williams will appear together at an October 21 taping session; the episode is slated for broadcast in November.

Last edited:
Dude, I have been looking for this clip for 4 years, I remember when it first aired, I almost burned myself watching it during breakfast, my coffee was all over me.

Thanks! I was worried that you'd all moan at me that you'd seen it before - I felt a bit daft when I found out it was back in 1997. I feel better now. :dancing:

Havn´t seen you around here lately. Great comeback thread :happy:

Thanks yimou, I appreciate your kind words. :cute: It's good to be back again.

I'm going through a 'John Lydon' phase. Well, I forgot quite how much respect I have for the man. Yes, I know, he's opinionated and obnoxious, and did some really stupid things as a youngster. He admits that, though: He knows all his own faults and often laughs at himself. I appreciate his honesty and his obvious intelligence. I find it sad that so many people can't see past all his silly swearing and cursing.

Back
Top Bottom