"punk died when the clash joined cbs."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
discuss.

points to consider:

- what is punk - a lifestyle or a music genre?
- what are the ideals of punk? are they commonly shared or are they different with each band? can one band be more 'punk' than the other?

Last edited:
There is good punk and there is bad punk.

Punk as a signifier of genuineness is overstated. Beyond its very beginnings its been a ploy, a hook, a genre. The Ramones used it, the Sex Pistols definitely used it. Even The Clash did to a degree. Punk meant something for a short while. Idealistically it probably still does. But realistically it is just another genre.

Punk is a fashion style. Easily available to all who get the right tatoos, jeans, nosering, haircut, and credible vintage t-shirt. 95% of punks are poseurs.

Heh, I almost wrote my senior thesis about all this. Too much to discuss in a message board. Oi. Better for a nice long conversation over some beers...

i don't know what punk is. but i know simple plan ain't it.

i'm in if you can sneak me into the pub.

i'm too lazy to get the exact link, but on bad religion's site (www.badreligion.com) under 'essays' you can read all about what greg graffin thinks punk is.

Punk just hasn't been the same since the days when Lester Bangs and I used to hang out together, rolling around in the pit with Iggy. It's been all downhill since then.

i'm in
i could right a good half a book before getting to my actual point but it will be a good one.

you see you can't define punk and any one who tries is a poser. thats what makes punk punk. some say it's a way of life, some an attitude, some a style , some a fadd, a trend, a genre. it's all these things and more. i used to think it was just about who could get the most punk rock patches of the most unheard of punk band, until i went to go see the my first punk show. i instantly feel in love with the whole scene.

if you want to hear the story then keep reading if not skip to next paragraph. my unkle was the lead singer for a punk band called the Gears. his drummer is now the drummer for a band called the Skulls. and they played with the Adicts on their last tour. my friend loves the adicts so i talked to my unkle and he got us on the guest list.

i had the time of my life. it was brilliant. i suddenly realized that it wasn't just about a bunch of sweaty guys wanting to hurt eachother. if you fall down in the pit 10 people try to help you back up. you put your arm around random people and scream as loud as you can even if you don't know the words.

that was it and i was in. if you havn't been to a show you should go. they don't care what you look like . i can tell you i didn't fit in at all. i was wearing a u2 shirt and jeans. i met so many cool people. and it's a great bargin. 6 bands for 10 bucks.

but your right, their are so many people who don't know what it's about. they're all posers. any one who says "i just got this cool new Dead Kennedies shirt at hot topic," you want to stay away from.

if you want to check out some good bands then
the adicts
the skulls
the gears
the briefs
the buzzcocks
the germs
toy dolls
there is lots more.

"don't be afraid to pogo. don't be afraid to relate. if it wasn't for this kind of music you wouldn't have come to this place."
- the gears

Punk is more a lifestyle I do believe. The Clash were punk. They were gritty, political, brilliant, and had the image to pull it off.

zooperson said:

but your right, their are so many people who don't know what it's about. they're all posers. any one who says "i just got this cool new Dead Kennedies shirt at hot topic," you want to stay away from.

aaawwwww you mean i'm not punk then? :sexywink: but it's a cool shirt and it only cost 30 bucks! the guy who sold it to me said to buy it if i wanted to be as cool as benji!

zooperson said:

"don't be afraid to pogo. don't be afraid to relate. if it wasn't for this kind of music you wouldn't have come to this place."
- the gears

can you teach me to pogo without stepping on people's toes? they get mad when that happens

the adicts :up: i think they label they were on recently re-released something of theirs, or tehy released a compilation or something. i can't quite remember at the moment. and taang! re-released a lot of good stuff recently.

p.s. i don't think there's even a hot topic around here, althouth i know many kids who shop at newbury comics, have their mommy sew their sum 41 patch onto their sweater, and call themselves punk.

p.p.s. is benji really the good charolette guy's name, anyway?

i may not be able to spell, but i do know that it's Dead Kennedys, not Dead Kennedies.

the clash were beyond punk to me... to me there were bare bones, but experimental.. they pushed bounderies and never stayed tied down to 3 chord songs..

they were my beatles.

IWasBored said:
aaawwwww you mean i'm not punk then? :sexywink: but it's a cool shirt and it only cost 30 bucks! the guy who sold it to me said to buy it if i wanted to be as cool as benji!

nope sorry, you won't be as cool as benji until you get some good charlot shirts and maybe a couple simple plan shirts too. and if you want to be really punk rock you'll buy a blink 182 shirt with pink writtting on it. :sexywink:

oh sorry bout the misspelling.:der:

zooperson said:

nope sorry, you won't be as cool as benji until you get some good charlot shirts and maybe a couple simple plan shirts too. and if you want to be really punk rock you'll buy a blink 182 shirt with pink writtting on it. :sexywink:

oh sorry bout the misspelling.:der:

ooooooh thank you for telling me! i'll run out to the most overly priced store and do that immediatly!

Back
Top Bottom