Prog Rock Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could only recommend older stuff, since I'm not very current on the new prog bands. And a lot of the older stuff I like is so freaking obscure, I don't know if it could be easily found.

So I would start with Focus 'Moving Waves','Hamburger Concerto' or lll. Maybe Yes 'The Yes Album', Nektar 'Recycled', Marillion 'Misplaced Childhood', Steve Hackett 'Spectral Mornings'(his solo stuff has a much harder edge than typical Genesis). These off the top of my head....... trying to think of stuff with some Floyd style touches.

Have you tried any Deep Purple? 'Highway Star, Space Truckin', Burn, Hush............ hard rock prog :rockon:

I'll try to think of some more.

Off topic UB..... I'm a big Crispin Glover fan, did you ever see the Letterman episode where CG attempts a karate kick at Dave's head. Hilarious :yes:

hardyharhar said:

Have you tried any Deep Purple? 'Highway Star, Space Truckin', Burn, Hush............ hard rock prog :rockon:

I agree with this. :rockon: Machine Head is a totally awesome record.

I was never majorly keen on Metallica, but from what I've heard, their kind of thrash metal is far too simplistic in its composition to be prog. Prog metal is more like Queensryche, Psychotic Waltz, Dream Theater (especially the last three albums, which incidentally suck a lot), Watchtower, Circus Maximus, etc. That said, there seems to be a lot of prog fans who are into Metallica.

These Yes songs are worth checking out:

Roundabout :der:, Heart of the Sunrise, Siberian Khatru, And You and I, Going for the One, Yours is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change.

Can you guys recommend some progressive rock to me that is much more in the vein of Pink Floyd and nowhere near post-rock or Dream Theatre or neo-classical garbage?

I want to give this genre a chance beyond Echoes.

Finally was able to find a copy of PT's Fear Of A Blank Planet around here. Love it. Anesthetize is.. wow.. amazing really. The layers of sound... Methinks I'll be trying to obtain the rest of the PT catalogue.

Canadiens1160 said:
Can you guys recommend some progressive rock to me that is much more in the vein of Pink Floyd and nowhere near post-rock or Dream Theatre or neo-classical garbage?

I want to give this genre a chance beyond Echoes.

Early Porcupine Tree has a Pink Floyd feel to it, especially The Sky Moves Sideways. Even later Porcupine Tree has certain compositions that, while they take on a harder edge at times, still have that atmospheric quality about them without going crazy like older bands would sometimes do (like Yes). The aforementioned Arriving Somewhere But Not Here from the other thread is a must to check out.

Back
Top Bottom