Prog Island Album Game: Semifinal, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• GibsonGirl

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Screwtape2

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the semifinals of the B&C Prog Island Album Game! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

In the third and final round, The Supertracklist won for the first time, upending Axver, 7-5, in Heat 1, while in Heat 2, GibsonGirl remained undefeated with a close victory over liamcool, 8-6. In Heat 3, phanan held off hardyharhar by the score of 7-4, and finally, Screwtape2 easily beat notAxver in a Heat 4 blowout, 10-2. The standings for both groups ended this way:

Group 1

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
GibsonGirl: 6, 3, 0, 26, 15, +11.
liamcool: 2, 1, 2, 17, 19, -2.
Supertracklist: 2, 1, 2, 17, 19, -2.
Axver: 2, 1, 2, 15, 22, -7.

Group 2

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
phanan: 6, 3, 0, 22, 12, +10.
Screwtape2: 4, 2, 1, 23, 12, +11.
hardyharhar: 2, 1, 2, 11, 17, -6.
notAxver: 0, 0, 3, 7, 22, -15.

The top two in each group advance to the semifinals, with the top seed in Group 1 going against the second seed from Group 2, and the top seed from Group 2 battling the second seed from Group 1. The seeding is as follows:

Group 1 Top Seed: GibsonGirl
Group 1 2nd Seed: liamcool*
Group 2 Top Seed: phanan
Group 2 2nd Seed: Screwtape2

*liamcool and the Supertracklist finished with identical records and vote difference - however, liamcool finishes second based on his head-to-head win over the Supertracklist.

The first semifinal heat features GibsonGirl against Screwtape2. Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: GibsonGirl

GG writes: I must have gone through at least twenty different ideas and track combinations before eventually settling on this playlist. I wanted to include a few songs with progressive elements that wouldn't scare away anyone at Interference trying prog for the first time, as well as songs that would appeal to seasoned fans of the genre. As a result, my list is a bit 'mainstream' at times (if you could use that word to describe prog, ha) with one or two songs that are not strictly progressive but are certainly influenced by it. And what would a prog competition be without a concept? I started off with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for a reason - some songs (but not all, for the sake of variety) subtly 'echo' other songs on the playlist. Some of these 'echoes' are more obvious (e.g. "Echoes" and "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" share a lyric in common) and others are more obscure (e.g. there is a small vocal melody in "Let It Grow" that sounds rather similar to one in "Dogs".) I did this to create an extra sense of cohesion between artists who are all very different. There were four songs that I simply had to leave off, and those have gone into my 30 minute
contribution for the Supertracklist. Check out the long Eloy suite for some fantastic music (just try to ignore the horrible German accent on the vocals)
and "It's A Long Road" from Supertramp's incredibly under-rated debut album. Hope you enjoy it. :)

1. Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)
2. Nektar - "Let It Grow (Radio Promo)" - Remember The Future (3:51)
3. Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth" - Selling England By The Pound (9:37)
4. Kayak - "Reason For It All" - See See The Sun (6:30)
5. Yes - "Siberian Khatru" - Close To The Edge (9:00)
6. Utopia - "Hiroshima" - Ra (7:15)
7. Gentle Giant - "Three Friends" - Three Friends (5:26)
8. Änglagård - "Jordrök" - Hybris (11:11)
9. Camel - "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" (9:17)
10. Supertramp - "School - Crime Of The Century" (5:34)
11. Kayak - "Trust In The Machine" - Kayak (8:18)
12. Van Der Graaf Generator - "Man-Erg" - Pawn Hearts (10:21)
13. Pink Floyd - "Dogs" - Animals (17:08)
14. Roger Waters - "4:50 AM (Go Fishing)" - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking (6:59)
15. David Gilmour - "Murder" - About Face (4:59)
16. King Crimson - "One More Red Nightmare" - Red (7:07)
17. Queen - "Bicycle Race" - Jazz (3:02)
18. Rush - "Beneath, Between And Behind" - Fly By Night (3:04)
19. David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)" - The First Day (11:53)
20. Passengers - "United Colours" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:30)
21. Ozric Tentacles - "Jurassic Shift" - Jurassic Shift (11:04)
22. Richard Wright - "Along The Shoreline" - Broken China (4:36)
23. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" - The Dark Third (11:56)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing (12:02)
25. Marillion - "Chelsea Monday" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:17)
26. Ayreon - "Time Beyond Time" - Into The Electric Castle (6:04)
27. Porcupine Tree - "Radioactive Toy" - On The Sunday Of Life (10:00)
28. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye" - Judgement (5:23)

Total runtime: 03:58:52

Forum name: Screwtape2

blackforestbh7.png

Screwtape writes: My entry is called The Black Forest: Letters To My Son From Namibia, South Africa And The Land Of The Zulu. In short, The Black Forest. It is from the perspective of a young boy who is reading letters sent by his father who is in the military in Africa. The father is trying to explain what he is seeing in ways that his young son can understand. Unfortunately, there is no way to explain the need for suffering and pain to a child. In the end, the father realizes this and hopes his son carries this epiphany with him for the rest of his life. I wanted it to feel like a fairy tale book written by a disillusioned man in a schizophrenic world. The ability to use multiple artists allowed me to create the sense of long suites broken apart and scattered through out the playlist like broken thoughts in the father’s letters. I hope you enjoy my little playlist. In a world where we kill our heroes and our myths our last hope is that there is still a place where fairy tales exist.

The Black Forest
1. Roger Waters- “It’s A Miracle” –In The Flesh Live (8:11)
2. Pure Reason Revolution- “The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning” –The Dark Third (11:56)
3. Passengers- “Theme From Swan” –Original Soundtrack Vol. 1 (3:24)
4. Pink Floyd- “Dogs” –Animals (17:08)
5. The Alan Parsons Project- “(The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (4:20)
6. Utopia- “Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With the Sun” –Ra (6:54)
7. Yes- “Starship Trooper” –Yesstory (9:25)
8. Camel- “Earthrise” –Mirage (6:42)
9. Wishbone Ash- “Sorrel” –Wishbone 4 (5:01)
10. Renaissance- “The Black Flame” - Tales of 1001 Nights, Vol. 1 (6:26)
11. Genesis- “The Return of the Giant Hogweed” - Nursery Cryme (8:12)
12. King Crimson- “In The Court Of The King” -In The Court Of The King (9:26)
13. Focus- “Le Cathedral Strasburg” –Hamburger Concerto (5:03)
14. Queen- “The Prophet’s Song” –A Night At The Opera (8:21)
15. Porcupine Tree- “Sleep Together” - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
16. Utopia- “Windows” - Oops! Wrong Planet (4:21)
17. The Alan Parsons Project- “The Fall Of The House Of Usher: I. Prelude” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (7:02)
18. Todd Rundgren- “Initiation” –Initiation (7:03)
19. Utopia- “The Ikon” –Todd Rundgren’s Utopia (30:25)
20. Yes- “Heart Of The Sunrise” –Yesstory (10:34)
21. The Moody Blues- “Candle Of Life” (4:18)
22. Pink Floyd- “The Gunner’s Dream” –The Final Cut (5:03)
23. Genesis- “Supper’s Ready” –Foxtrot (22:50)
24. Focus- “Birth” –Hamburger Concerto (7:49)
25. Pink Floyd- “Sheep” –Animals (10:20)
26. Roger Waters- “Perfect Sense (Part 1 & 2)" –Flickering Flame (7:22)

UP NEXT: phanan vs. liamcool

Competition master list.

Have fun and vote! :)

I'm voting for Gibsongirl. Her playlist is fantastic and her concept is equally amazing. At different points, I've seriously wondered if her playlist is equal or better than my own. That's enough to earn her my vote. I figure if I lose here or if it's decided by a single vote, she deserves it.

Gibsongirl, your playlist is fantastic. Good Luck! :hi5:

I also have to mention that Axver provided me with his voting perferences in his absence. While his vote can't be included in the actual poll, I will be adding it manually to the overall totals.

In this heat, Axver's vote goes to GibsonGirl.

Well, after careful consideration, I'm going for GibsonGirl. I went through each song on both lists, and rated them invidually (since the playlists as a whole are equal in my eyes), and GG's list had more songs that I rate five stars.

Excellent job to you both, however. That was tough.

I'm glad Gibsongirl won and that my vote was the difference. I really believe that if it was going to be decided by a single vote that the way her playlist impressed me should be the tiebreaker. Good luck through the rest of the game, Gibsongirl! :wave:

Wait a minute. I thought it was a tie! We've gotta go to final Jeopardy and I'm asking the question. The category is Italian progressive rock. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom