Prog Island Album Game: Round 3, Heat 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Screwtape2's tracklist

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • notAxver's tracklist

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth and final heat of the B&C Prog Island Album Game's third round! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

In a recap of Round 2 for Group 2, Screwtape2 triumphed over hardyharhar, 7-3, while phanan captured his second win with a victory over notAxver, 8-2. The table for Group 2 heading into the third round is as follows:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
phanan: 4, 2, 0, 15, 8, +7.
Screwtape2: 2, 1, 1, 13, 10, +3.
hardyharhar: 2, 1, 1, 7, 10, -3.
notAxver: 0, 0, 2, 5, 12, -7.

This will be the last round before the semifinals, where the top two from each Group will advance. This heat features Screwtape2 against notAxver. Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: Screwtape2

blackforestbh7.png

Screwtape writes: My entry is called The Black Forest: Letters To My Son From Namibia, South Africa And The Land Of The Zulu. In short, The Black Forest. It is from the perspective of a young boy who is reading letters sent by his father who is in the military in Africa. The father is trying to explain what he is seeing in ways that his young son can understand. Unfortunately, there is no way to explain the need for suffering and pain to a child. In the end, the father realizes this and hopes his son carries this epiphany with him for the rest of his life. I wanted it to feel like a fairy tale book written by a disillusioned man in a schizophrenic world. The ability to use multiple artists allowed me to create the sense of long suites broken apart and scattered through out the playlist like broken thoughts in the father’s letters. I hope you enjoy my little playlist. In a world where we kill our heroes and our myths our last hope is that there is still a place where fairy tales exist.

The Black Forest
1. Roger Waters- “It’s A Miracle” –In The Flesh Live (8:11)
2. Pure Reason Revolution- “The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning” –The Dark Third (11:56)
3. Passengers- “Theme From Swan” –Original Soundtrack Vol. 1 (3:24)
4. Pink Floyd- “Dogs” –Animals (17:08)
5. The Alan Parsons Project- “(The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (4:20)
6. Utopia- “Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With the Sun” –Ra (6:54)
7. Yes- “Starship Trooper” –Yesstory (9:25)
8. Camel- “Earthrise” –Mirage (6:42)
9. Wishbone Ash- “Sorrel” –Wishbone 4 (5:01)
10. Renaissance- “The Black Flame” - Tales of 1001 Nights, Vol. 1 (6:26)
11. Genesis- “The Return of the Giant Hogweed” - Nursery Cryme (8:12)
12. King Crimson- “In The Court Of The King” -In The Court Of The King (9:26)
13. Focus- “Le Cathedral Strasburg” –Hamburger Concerto (5:03)
14. Queen- “The Prophet’s Song” –A Night At The Opera (8:21)
15. Porcupine Tree- “Sleep Together” - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
16. Utopia- “Windows” - Oops! Wrong Planet (4:21)
17. The Alan Parsons Project- “The Fall Of The House Of Usher: I. Prelude” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (7:02)
18. Todd Rundgren- “Initiation” –Initiation (7:03)
19. Utopia- “The Ikon” –Todd Rundgren’s Utopia (30:25)
20. Yes- “Heart Of The Sunrise” –Yesstory (10:34)
21. The Moody Blues- “Candle Of Life” (4:18)
22. Pink Floyd- “The Gunner’s Dream” –The Final Cut (5:03)
23. Genesis- “Supper’s Ready” –Foxtrot (22:50)
24. Focus- “Birth” –Hamburger Concerto (7:49)
25. Pink Floyd- “Sheep” –Animals (10:20)
26. Roger Waters- “Perfect Sense (Part 1 & 2)" –Flickering Flame (7:22)

Forum name: notAxver

notAxver writes: What do most people associate with prog? Huge sprawling epics as long as a whole month. Apparently, this is actually perceived as a negative quality. Accordingly, the point of this tracklist is to show how progressive musicians can successfully overcome limitations. These limitations are both external and internal: the former are those factors that demand short compositions, and the latter are those factors that state that long compositions can become repetitive and excessive if one becomes lazy or indulgent. The songs in this tracklisting show that some ideas simply cannot be adequately realised in 5 or even 10 minutes. To create the full artistic effect, more time, care, and attention is required, and the limitations must be discarded. Subjugation Of The Limitation is made for people who believe in music as an artform.

Subjugation Of The Limitation
1. Transatlantic - "All Of The Above" - SMPT:e (30:59)
2. Porcupine Tree - "The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version)" - The Sky Moves Sideways (2004 remaster) (34:34)
3. Green Carnation - "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (60:06)
4. Dream Theater - "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (live)" - Score (41:30)
5. Neal Morse - "The Door" - Sola Scriptura (29:13)
6. Incredible Expanding Mindfuck - "Gospel According To The I.E.M." - I.E.M. (12:59)
7. Spock's Beard - "The Great Nothing" - V (27:03)
Total runtime: 3 hours, 56 minutes, 24 seconds

UP NEXT: The Semifinals!

Competition master list.

Have fun and vote! :)

I suspect my vote will be the only one for poor notAxver.

How do we do the semis though? The top two seeds in each group against each other? That would be a repeat of previous heats already. Seems to me it would be more interesting with the 1st seed in Group 1 against the second seed in Group 2, and vice versa.

phanan said:
How do we do the semis though? The top two seeds in each group against each other? That would be a repeat of previous heats already. Seems to me it would be more interesting with the 1st seed in Group 1 against the second seed in Group 2, and vice versa.

The latter would work better considering that you and I have met as have GG and her opponent. Axver/Liamcool vs. you and GG vs. me would be great matches. Let's do that.

I was always going do it as 1st Group 1 vs 2nd Group 2 and 1st Group 2 vs 2nd Group 1.

Anyhow, this is my last post for nine days. Hope the competition goes well and I'll see all of you for Desert Island III! I'm trialling my playlist on the flight to New Zealand today. Farewell! :wave:

:sigh:

I'm guilty of completely losing track of this competition. I only got around to listening to 3 playlists and downloading 5. :reject:

I really enjoyed some of what I've heard...but listening 4 hours of Prog is just crazy...I did it while studying for exams but now I just can't seem to do it.

However, I've been looking into some of these artists and I even stole my dad's copy of the Yesstory. :wink:

Lemonchick said:
:sigh:

I'm guilty of completely losing track of this competition. I only got around to listening to 3 playlists and downloading 5. :reject:

I really enjoyed some of what I've heard...but listening 4 hours of Prog is just crazy...I did it while studying for exams but now I just can't seem to do it.

However, I've been looking into some of these artists and I even stole my dad's copy of the Yesstory. :wink:

Getting others into prog was the most important part of this game. Glad you're getting into Yes. Are there any other artists that you're interested in?

Just an FYI. It's going to be a busy weekend for me. I probably won't be able to start the semifinals until Monday morning EST.

Unless something changes, it looks like our semifinal matchups will be GibsonGirl vs. Screwtape2 and phanan vs. liamcool.

Back
Top Bottom