Prog Island Album Game: Round 3, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver's tracklist

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • The Supertracklist

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the B&C Prog Island Album Game's third round! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

In a recap of Round 2 for Group 1, GibsonGirl came from behind and edged The Supertracklist, 6-5, while Axver won for the first time with his victory over liamcool, 6-3. The table for Group 1 heading into the third round is as follows:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
GibsonGirl: 4, 2, 0, 18, 9, +9.
liamcool: 2, 1, 1, 11, 11, 0.
Axver: 2, 1, 1, 10, 15, -5.
Supertracklist: 0, 0, 2, 10, 14, -4.

This will be the last round before the semifinals, where the top two from each Group will advance. This heat features Axver against The Supertracklist. Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: Axver

Mycover.png

Axver writes: An announcement is being made in sound: the ties that bind music and the shackles that constrain artistic expression have fallen away. My tracklist's purpose is to demonstrate that reality. It seeks to explore music as a means of expression using progressive rock as the vehicle. It is an arrangement of moods and atmospheres that sometimes complement and sometimes contradict; it is a process to stimulate the senses and captivate the imagination with ideas fully realised; it is an overview of how times and eras are both distinct and inextricably linked. Travelling from the birth of prog with King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man to the present day's musical eloquence in Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize, An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound showcases the many faces of prog: technical proficiency of unparalleled calibre (Spiral Architect's Purpose), political awareness (Magellan's Estadium Nacional), soaring majesty (Utopia's Overture), and emotional depth and sincerity (Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul). It even achieves a festive touch, courtesy of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's unique approach. And beyond musical and thematic depth, there is an underlying geographic depth: New Zealand's Split Enz, Bahrain's Osiris, Norway's Spiral Architect and Circus Maximus, and the Anglo-Israeli Blackfield collaboration. If prog rock has been there, an announcement was made in sound. Listen and savour it.

My tracklist decisions are explained in more detail here for anyone interested: http://axver.livejournal.com/368156.html

An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound
1. Frost* - "Hyperventilate" - Milliontown (7:31)
2. Utopia - "Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With The Sun" - Ra (6:54)
3. Marillion - "Assassing" - Fugazi (7:02)
4. Opeth - "Closure" - Damnation (5:15)
5. IQ - "You Never Will" - Dark Matter (4:54)
6. Under The Sun - "Gardens Of Autumn" - Under The Sun (5:03)
7. Pineapple Thief - "Kid Chameleon" - 137 (6:56)
8. Rush - "Red Barchetta" - Moving Pictures (6:10)
9. Queen - "Ogre Battle" - Queen II (4:08)
10. Day Shift - "The Alternative Magpie" - Imaginary Menagerie (8:05)
11. Circus Maximus - "Glory Of The Empire" - The 1st Chapter (10:27)
12. Symphony X - "The Accolade" - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (9:51)
13. Anathema - "Judgement" - Judgement (4:20)
14. Indukti - "Cold Inside... I" - S.U.S.A.R. (4:05)
15. Riverside - "The Curtain Falls" - Out Of Myself (7:59)
16. Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (8:49)
17. King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (7:21)
18. Spiral Architect - "Purpose" - A Gathering (6:59)
19. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Intention Craft" - The Intention Craft single (4:13)
20. Camel - "Rhayader" - The Snow Goose (3:02)
21. Magellan - "Estadium Nacional" - Impending Ascension (11:16)
22. Osiris - "Fantasy" - Osiris (6:00)
23. Spock's Beard - "Walking On The Wind" - Beware Of Darkness (9:09)
24. Blackfield - "Miss U" - Blackfield II (4:13)
25. Neal Morse - "Where The Streets Have No Name" - One (Special Edition) (5:48)
26. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24" - Christmas Eve And Other Stories (3:25)
27. Subterranean Masquerade - "Kind Of A Blur" - Suspended Animation (3:12)
28. Split Enz - "Time For A Change" - Second Thoughts (Remastered) (4:04)
29. Passengers - "Always Forever Now" - Original Soundtracks No. 1 (6:23)
30. Porcupine Tree - "Anesthetize" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (17:42)
31. Dream Theater - "Trial Of Tears" - Falling Into Infinity (13:05)
32. Transatlantic - "Stranger In Your Soul" - Bridge Across Forever (26:06)
Total run time: 3 hours, 59 minutes, 27 seconds (239:27)

Forum Supertracklist

What is one thing prog musicians do all the time? They play in odd time signatures like 7/8, 17/16, and Pi/e; they can play more notes in 10 seconds than The Edge plays in an entire concert; and THEY FORM SUPERGROUPS. So in homage to this, each contestant in the tournament has submitted tracks for a combined "Supertracklist". I wonder if anyone can tell who submitted what.

1. Spock's Beard - "Day For Night" - Day For Night (7:34)
2. Porcupine Tree - "Buying New Soul" - Recordings (10:27)
3. Marillion - "Script For A Jester's Tear" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:42)
4. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Fugue" - Trilogy (1:56)
5. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "The Endless Enigma, Part 2" - Trilogy (2:02)
6. Fairfield Parlour - "Drummer Boy Of Shiloh" - From Home To Home (3:16)
7. Supertramp - "It's A Long Road" - Supertramp (5:34)
8. Caravan - "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (5:01)
9. Gravy Train - "Messenger" - A Ballad Of A Peaceful Man (5:57)
10. Formula Tre - "Rapsodia Di Radius" - La Grande Casa
11. Roxy Music - "Out Of The Blue" - Country Life
12. Aphrodite's Child - "The System/Babylon" - Supernatural Fairy Tales (3:13)
13. Dredg - "Ode To The Sun" - Catch Without Arms (4:12)
14. The Mars Volta - "Eriatarka" - De-loused In The Comatorium (6:21)
15. Wolverine - "And She Slowly Dies" - Still (7:40)
16. Pure Reason Revolution - "Victorious Cupid" - Online single (3:37)
17. Oceansize - "A Homage To A Shame" - Everyone Into Position (5:52)
18. Dream Theater - "The Glass Prison" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (13:51)
19. Dark Suns - "The Euphoric Sense" - Existence (5:54)
20. Focus - "Hocus Pocus" - Moving Waves (6:43)
21. Procol Harum - "Repent Walpurgis" - Procol Harum (5:04)
22. Chroma Key - "Undertow" - Dead Air For Radios (4:48)
23. Genesis - "The Colony Of Slippermen" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (8:13)
24. Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" - Careful With That Axe, Eugene single (5:44)
25. Utopia - "Caravan" - Adventures In Utopia (7:01)
26. Renaissance - "The Vultures Fly High" (3:07)
27. Earth & Fire - "Circus" - Atlantis (6:13)
28. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Jerusalem" - Brain Salad Surgery (2:44)
29. Focus - "Hamburger Concerto" - Hamburger Concerto (20:19)
30. Starcastle - "Lady Of The Lake" - Lady Of The Lake (10:27)
31. Queen - "Father To Son" - Queen II (6:14)
32. Eloy - "The Apocalypse" - Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes (14:58)
33. In The Woods... - "299 796 km/s" - Omnio (14:46)
34. Porcupine Tree - "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" - Staircase Infinities (9:36)
Total runtime: 3:57:14

UP NEXT: GibsonGirl vs. liamcool

Competition master list.

Have fun and vote! :)

In case anyone isn't aware, I'm going to have all four heats of Round 3 go now, just to move this along. I think we've determined what we like and don't like in regards to the rules and the format, and I know people are itching for Desert Island III to start, so by getting all of Round 3 done, we can move on to the finals and semifinals and wrap this up by July 4th (hopefully).

Upon Axver's return, be prepared to see the signup thread for Desert Island III.

Actually, if I win this round and Liam loses (or if Liam loses by a considerably higher margin than I do), I will make the semis.

So come on people, vote Axver!

Axver said:
Actually, if I win this round and Liam loses (or if Liam loses by a considerably higher margin than I do), I will make the semis.

You're right. At the time, the Supertracklist had a lead a three vote lead on you.

It's interesting to think that the Supertracklist did the best against GG and yet it will probably finish last. :shrug:

I think this World Cup format works very well, and I also think running more than one heat at a time helps speed things up. After all, in the World Cup more than one match is played at the same time in the early rounds, so why not here?

phanan said:
I think this World Cup format works very well, and I also think running more than one heat at a time helps speed things up. After all, in the World Cup more than one match is played at the same time in the early rounds, so why not here?

Exactly! I think running two a day might work well for the next game. It'll be neat to have three to four people in a group be in it until the final hours of a match. That should keep people's interest and increase the vote.

Back
Top Bottom