Prog Island Album Game: Round 2, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• GibsonGirl's tracklist

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • The Supertracklist

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second heat of the B&C Prog Island Album Game's second round! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

In the final heat of Round 1, hardyharhar achieved a very narrow victory over notAxver, 4-3. The table for Group 2 is now:

Forum name: total competition points, played, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
phanan: 2, 1, 1, 0, 7, 6, +1
hardyharhar: 2, 1, 1, 0, 4, 3, +1.
Screwtape2: 0, 0, 1, 6, 7, -1.
notAxver: 0, 0, 1, 3, 4, -1.

The first heat of Round 2 is still underway and has a day to go. Voting has been slow and Axver leads liamcool 2-1. Please don't let this tournament die. This heat features GibsonGirl against The Supertracklist. Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: GibsonGirl

GG writes: I must have gone through at least twenty different ideas and track combinations before eventually settling on this playlist. I wanted to include a few songs with progressive elements that wouldn't scare away anyone at Interference trying prog for the first time, as well as songs that would appeal to seasoned fans of the genre. As a result, my list is a bit 'mainstream' at times (if you could use that word to describe prog, ha) with one or two songs that are not strictly progressive but are certainly influenced by it. And what would a prog competition be without a concept? I started off with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for a reason - some songs (but not all, for the sake of variety) subtly 'echo' other songs on the playlist. Some of these 'echoes' are more obvious (e.g. "Echoes" and "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" share a lyric in common) and others are more obscure (e.g. there is a small vocal melody in "Let It Grow" that sounds rather similar to one in "Dogs".) I did this to create an extra sense of cohesion between artists who are all very different. There were four songs that I simply had to leave off, and those have gone into my 30 minute
contribution for the Supertracklist. Check out the long Eloy suite for some fantastic music (just try to ignore the horrible German accent on the vocals)
and "It's A Long Road" from Supertramp's incredibly under-rated debut album. Hope you enjoy it.

1. Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)
2. Nektar - "Let It Grow (Radio Promo)" - Remember The Future (3:51)
3. Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth" - Selling England By The Pound (9:37)
4. Kayak - "Reason For It All" - See See The Sun (6:30)
5. Yes - "Siberian Khatru" - Close To The Edge (9:00)
6. Utopia - "Hiroshima" - Ra (7:15)
7. Gentle Giant - "Three Friends" - Three Friends (5:26)
8. Änglagård - "Jordrök" - Hybris (11:11)
9. Camel - "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" (9:17)
10. Supertramp - "School - Crime Of The Century" (5:34)
11. Kayak - "Trust In The Machine" - Kayak (8:18)
12. Van Der Graaf Generator - "Man-Erg" - Pawn Hearts (10:21)
13. Pink Floyd - "Dogs" - Animals (17:08)
14. Roger Waters - "4:50 AM (Go Fishing)" - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking (6:59)
15. David Gilmour - "Murder" - About Face (4:59)
16. King Crimson - "One More Red Nightmare" - Red (7:07)
17. Queen - "Bicycle Race" - Jazz (3:02)
18. Rush - "Beneath, Between And Behind" - Fly By Night (3:04)
19. David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)" - The First Day (11:53)
20. Passengers - "United Colours" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:30)
21. Ozric Tentacles - "Jurassic Shift" - Jurassic Shift (11:04)
22. Richard Wright - "Along The Shoreline" - Broken China (4:36)
23. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" - The Dark Third (11:56)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing (12:02)
25. Marillion - "Chelsea Monday" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:17)
26. Ayreon - "Time Beyond Time" - Into The Electric Castle (6:04)
27. Porcupine Tree - "Radioactive Toy" - On The Sunday Of Life (10:00)
28. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye" - Judgement (5:23)

Total runtime: 03:58:52

Forum Supertracklist

What is one thing prog musicians do all the time? They play in odd time signatures like 7/8, 17/16, and Pi/e; they can play more notes in 10 seconds than The Edge plays in an entire concert; and THEY FORM SUPERGROUPS. So in homage to this, each contestant in the tournament has submitted tracks for a combined "Supertracklist". I wonder if anyone can tell who submitted what.

1. Spock's Beard - "Day For Night" - Day For Night (7:34)
2. Porcupine Tree - "Buying New Soul" - Recordings (10:27)
3. Marillion - "Script For A Jester's Tear" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:42)
4. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Fugue" - Trilogy (1:56)
5. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "The Endless Enigma, Part 2" - Trilogy (2:02)
6. Fairfield Parlour - "Drummer Boy Of Shiloh" - From Home To Home (3:16)
7. Supertramp - "It's A Long Road" - Supertramp (5:34)
8. Caravan - "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (5:01)
9. Gravy Train - "Messenger" - A Ballad Of A Peaceful Man (5:57)
10. Formula Tre - "Rapsodia Di Radius" - La Grande Casa
11. Roxy Music - "Out Of The Blue" - Country Life
12. Aphrodite's Child - "The System/Babylon" - Supernatural Fairy Tales (3:13)
13. Dredg - "Ode To The Sun" - Catch Without Arms (4:12)
14. The Mars Volta - "Eriatarka" - De-loused In The Comatorium (6:21)
15. Wolverine - "And She Slowly Dies" - Still (7:40)
16. Pure Reason Revolution - "Victorious Cupid" - Online single (3:37)
17. Oceansize - "A Homage To A Shame" - Everyone Into Position (5:52)
18. Dream Theater - "The Glass Prison" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (13:51)
19. Dark Suns - "The Euphoric Sense" - Existence (5:54)
20. Focus - "Hocus Pocus" - Moving Waves (6:43)
21. Procol Harum - "Repent Walpurgis" - Procol Harum (5:04)
22. Chroma Key - "Undertow" - Dead Air For Radios (4:48)
23. Genesis - "The Colony Of Slippermen" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (8:13)
24. Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" - Careful With That Axe, Eugene single (5:44)
25. Utopia - "Caravan" - Adventures In Utopia (7:01)
26. Renaissance - "The Vultures Fly High" (3:07)
27. Earth & Fire - "Circus" - Atlantis (6:13)
28. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Jerusalem" - Brain Salad Surgery (2:44)
29. Focus - "Hamburger Concerto" - Hamburger Concerto (20:19)
30. Starcastle - "Lady Of The Lake" - Lady Of The Lake (10:27)
31. Queen - "Father To Son" - Queen II (6:14)
32. Eloy - "The Apocalypse" - Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes (14:58)
33. In The Woods... - "299 796 km/s" - Omnio (14:46)
34. Porcupine Tree - "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" - Staircase Infinities (9:36)
Total runtime: 3:57:14

UP NEXT: Screwtape2 vs hardyharhar

Competition master list.

Have fun and vote! :)

I'm wavering. The second half of GG's tracklist is bloody awesome, but I think I actually like more songs from the Supertracklist. I'm going to think on this a bit and maybe play each tracklist again.

Wow, I expected GG to run away with this, especially considering how poorly the Supertracklist performed in the first round, but the Supertracklist leads 3-1 at the moment. :ohmy:

This is a good close round. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the end.

Well, it's 5-5. If this ends in a draw, that could make things very interesting. Not long to go now.

And sorry GG, but I voted for the Supertracklist. GG's tracklist is amazing - it's a really beautiful prog experience, well constructed, with a fantastic sense of atmosphere. This really came down to the second half of each tracklist. My previously posted feelings about the first half of GG's tracklist stand, and I haven't really got into much of the Supertracklist's first half either (that said, both have some passages I really enjoy). And when it comes to the second half ... I just find the Supertracklist to be more enjoyable. GG, you really should have used that Eloy song in your main entry, because if you'd had that, I may just have been swayed towards voting for you! This was such a hard decision.

Well, round's over and it looks like GG is all but guaranteed to make the semi-final now. The Supertracklist is definitively out, and the only way Liam and I could knock GG out is by winning upcoming rounds by significant margins. That opening round has really screwed my chances but put GG in a commanding position!

(By the way, I think that previous post of mine was the 4,000,000th on Interference. :ohmy: )

Back
Top Bottom