Prog Island Album Game: Round 2, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• Axver's tracklist

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • liamcool's tracklist

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the second round of the B&C Prog Island Album Game! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

The first round's final heat is still under way and has a day to run yet. At the moment, hardyharhar has a narrow 4-3 lead over notAxver. We now turn to Round 2. After Round 1, Group 1's standings are:

Forum name: total competition points, played, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
GibsonGirl: 2; 1, 0, 12, 4, +8.
liamcool: 2, 1, 0, 8, 5, +3.
Supertracklist: 0, 0, 1, 5, 8, -3.
Axver: 0, 0, 1, 4, 12, -8.

This first heat features Axver seeking a first win against a surprise winner from the first round, liamcool. Below, you will find their tracklists.

Don't know the songs? Leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Axver

Mycover.png

Axver writes: An announcement is being made in sound: the ties that bind music and the shackles that constrain artistic expression have fallen away. My tracklist's purpose is to demonstrate that reality. It seeks to explore music as a means of expression using progressive rock as the vehicle. It is an arrangement of moods and atmospheres that sometimes complement and sometimes contradict; it is a process to stimulate the senses and captivate the imagination with ideas fully realised; it is an overview of how times and eras are both distinct and inextricably linked. Travelling from the birth of prog with King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man to the present day's musical eloquence in Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize, An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound showcases the many faces of prog: technical proficiency of unparalleled calibre (Spiral Architect's Purpose), political awareness (Magellan's Estadium Nacional), soaring majesty (Utopia's Overture), and emotional depth and sincerity (Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul). It even achieves a festive touch, courtesy of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's unique approach. And beyond musical and thematic depth, there is an underlying geographic depth: New Zealand's Split Enz, Bahrain's Osiris, Norway's Spiral Architect and Circus Maximus, and the Anglo-Israeli Blackfield collaboration. If prog rock has been there, an announcement was made in sound. Listen and savour it.

My tracklist decisions are explained in more detail here for anyone interested: http://axver.livejournal.com/368156.html

An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound
1. Frost* - "Hyperventilate" - Milliontown (7:31)
2. Utopia - "Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With The Sun" - Ra (6:54)
3. Marillion - "Assassing" - Fugazi (7:02)
4. Opeth - "Closure" - Damnation (5:15)
5. IQ - "You Never Will" - Dark Matter (4:54)
6. Under The Sun - "Gardens Of Autumn" - Under The Sun (5:03)
7. Pineapple Thief - "Kid Chameleon" - 137 (6:56)
8. Rush - "Red Barchetta" - Moving Pictures (6:10)
9. Queen - "Ogre Battle" - Queen II (4:08)
10. Day Shift - "The Alternative Magpie" - Imaginary Menagerie (8:05)
11. Circus Maximus - "Glory Of The Empire" - The 1st Chapter (10:27)
12. Symphony X - "The Accolade" - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (9:51)
13. Anathema - "Judgement" - Judgement (4:20)
14. Indukti - "Cold Inside... I" - S.U.S.A.R. (4:05)
15. Riverside - "The Curtain Falls" - Out Of Myself (7:59)
16. Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (8:49)
17. King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (7:21)
18. Spiral Architect - "Purpose" - A Gathering (6:59)
19. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Intention Craft" - The Intention Craft single (4:13)
20. Camel - "Rhayader" - The Snow Goose (3:02)
21. Magellan - "Estadium Nacional" - Impending Ascension (11:16)
22. Osiris - "Fantasy" - Osiris (6:00)
23. Spock's Beard - "Walking On The Wind" - Beware Of Darkness (9:09)
24. Blackfield - "Miss U" - Blackfield II (4:13)
25. Neal Morse - "Where The Streets Have No Name" - One (Special Edition) (5:48)
26. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24" - Christmas Eve And Other Stories (3:25)
27. Subterranean Masquerade - "Kind Of A Blur" - Suspended Animation (3:12)
28. Split Enz - "Time For A Change" - Second Thoughts (Remastered) (4:04)
29. Passengers - "Always Forever Now" - Original Soundtracks No. 1 (6:23)
30. Porcupine Tree - "Anesthetize" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (17:42)
31. Dream Theater - "Trial Of Tears" - Falling Into Infinity (13:05)
32. Transatlantic - "Stranger In Your Soul" - Bridge Across Forever (26:06)
Total run time: 3 hours, 59 minutes, 27 seconds (239:27)

Forum name: liamcool

LP one

1) Marillion - "Psuedo Silk Kimono" - Misplaced Childhood (2:14)
2) Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like" - Dark Side Of The Moon (3:25)
3) Marillion - "Hooks In You" - Season's End (2:59)
4) Anathema - "Don't Look Too Far" - Judgement (4:57)
5) Opeth - "Requiem" - Orchid (1:11)
6) Mike Oldfield - "Tubular Bells Part One" - Tubular Bells (25:36)

LP two

1) Phish - "Down With Disease" - Live Phish Volume 15 (10:17)
2) Dream Theater - "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" - When Dream And Day Unite (8:04)
3) Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)

LP three

1) Derek Sherinian - "God Of War" - Mythology (5:16)
2) Pink Floyd - "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" - Atom Heart Mother (13:00)
3) Ayreon - "Day Twenty: Confrontation" - The Human Equation (7:02)
4) Iron Maiden - "Only The Good Die Young" - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (4:45)
5) Rush - "Vital Signs" - Moving Pictures (4:43)

LP four

1) Rush - "Freewill" - Permanent Waves (5:01)
2) Frank Zappa - "Plastic People" - Absolutely Free (3:42)
3) Pink Floyd - "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" - Ummagumma (9:12)
4) Porcupine Tree - "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
5) Dream Theater - "Disappear" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (6:44)
6) Marillion - "Forgotten Sons" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:23)

UP NEXT: GibsonGirl vs the Supertracklist

Competition master list.

Have fun!

OK, come on people, we can do better than just three votes. There are six entrants alone!

Or maybe we have sufficiently tested the new format and it's time to "go Kevorkian" as I think hardyharhar proposed.

:|

I would have thought weekends would give people MORE time to be online. I know I am. During the week, I have stuff to do. During the weekend, I can kick back and relax in my computer chair.

A day to go. Let's see if we can actually manage a few votes in the second day this time!

I can't vote in the competitions since I haven't been able to listen to 4 hours of prog per entry. Sorry. I'm just following along. And I can't vote for hubby, since that would really give him an unfair advantage :wink: I've heard a few tracks here and there (Not a "prog" fan per se, but do like early Genesis (Lamb = :drool: ) and Yes, early Marillion..., and I do recognize some of hardyharhar's tracks from decades ago. I think the band that I remembered and had never heard before was Pure Reason Revolution. That was pretty interesting :up:

Um, shit. I'm suddenly not a premium member, and with having to fly to New Zealand on Friday, I've got no spare cash to resubscribe. I'm sorry, but someone's going to have to take over running this tournament and any others in the foreseeable future as I now can't make polls.

Also, Lila, can you send the link in your last PM to me to amakaxver[at]gmail.com? Thanks. :)

Voted for liamcool as per my usual standard of voting for the candidate with a longer name.
cookiemonsterrf2.gif

Axver said:
Um, shit. I'm suddenly not a premium member, and with having to fly to New Zealand on Friday, I've got no spare cash to resubscribe. I'm sorry, but someone's going to have to take over running this tournament and any others in the foreseeable future as I now can't make polls.

When do you want the next one to start?

phanan said:

When do you want the next one to start?

This round is about done (I think it closes in approximately 20 minutes from this post), so any time that's convenient, really.

And going by the result here, it's nice that I'm now not going to be last in Group 1!

Back
Top Bottom