Prog Island Album Game: Round 1, Heat 1! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
Axver's tracklist 4 25.00%
GibsonGirl's tracklist 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #46
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
For some reason, I predict getting annihilated next round.

I'll refrain from voting for now. If Axver had Pink Frost (damnit) in his playlist it would have gotten my vote immediately. But it doesn't.
My playlist WOULD have had Pink Frost if, you know, it were prog. I tried to find a Chills song that could possibly pass as prog, but ... while Martin Phillipps isn't Mr Conventional Songstyle, nothing comes off as prog.

And folks, Liam's tracklist will hopefully be uploaded by the end of today.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #47
Vocal parasite

Wow, I'm getting roundly trashed in the voting by the standards of this competition. Ah well. By the comments, it seems the scoreline isn't reflective of how close people think it is, so that makes me feel a bit better.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I should probably listen to some more modern prog though, as quite a few bands on the playlist still seem to be heavily influenced by the 70s sound that I love. Spock's Beard and Frost, to name two. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy very much, however... For instance, I don't think I'll be checking out Magellan or Circus Maximus any time soon. [...] I'm going to have to look into Subterranean Masquerade as well.
I'm pretty sure you would enjoy Spock's Beard. In fact, while their proggier albums might not be to the tastes of everyone here, I think the average U2 fan would really enjoy the Day For Night album. It's like prog done in a pop-rock fashion and works extremely well.

As for Magellan, their only song I like is Estadium Nacional, so you're actually wise not to check out any more. The rest of the Impending Ascension album ranges from mediocre to garbage. But I really like Estadium Nacional and it works in context. I haven't heard any of their other albums.

And oh, please, don't look any further into Subterranean Masquerade! Heh. That song is very much the exception. Their sole album covers a lot of ground ... there just happens to be various styles of metal throughout that ground, including death growls here and there. It's a very, very interesting, artistic, and completely "out there" album, but I don't think it'd be for you.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Since I haven't listened to both playlists yet, I haven't voted.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
For some reason, I predict getting annihilated next round.

I'll refrain from voting for now. If Axver had Pink Frost (damnit) in his playlist it would have gotten my vote immediately. But it doesn't.
Haven't seen your list Liam, but I might be right there with you. Not only is my list from the jurassic age, but I've got guys singing in foreign languages.

Progressive rock for newcomers = a tough sell

Progressive rock sung in Italian = are you kidding me?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Listening to Perfect Sense from Screwtape's list. A song I never got real familiar with and don't have here at home. Been listening to it getting ready for tonight's show. Thanks, Screwtape!

Love the 2001 voice-over by Hal. "Dave, my mind is going. There is no question about it"
Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Man... the Pure Reason Revolution and Porcupine Tree songs on GG's list are awesome!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

The earlier rounds need to be longer. It's hard to find the 4 hours of time to listen to each list. I've only heard select songs from select playlists over the course of the last week. I may have to abstain from voting in certain rounds...

Off to see Waters
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
Listening to Perfect Sense from Screwtape's list. A song I never got real familiar with and don't have here at home. Been listening to it getting ready for tonight's show. Thanks, Screwtape!

Love the 2001 voice-over by Hal. "Dave, my mind is going. There is no question about it"
You're welcome. I'm glad I've helped enhance your concert experience. The Hal-9000 intro is perfect along with everything else in the live version of the song.

I hope you enjoy the show. Remember to tell us all about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Off to see Waters
I hope you have a great show as well, Lila.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Can somebody email me the last track (26 min) off Axver's playlist again? For some reason it didn't download the first time and I don't wanna download the whole thing again. Thanks!

muralee_s @hotmail.com.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 AM   #55
Vocal parasite

Going by comments made here, maybe we should ask a mod to extend the voting period in this round?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Can somebody email me the last track (26 min) off Axver's playlist again? For some reason it didn't download the first time and I don't wanna download the whole thing again. Thanks!

muralee_s @hotmail.com.
Actually, the second of my two links is solely to Stranger In Your Soul. So if you still have the original links, you can get it without downloading anything else.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Going by comments made here, maybe we should ask a mod to extend the voting period in this round?
My idea was this:

What we could do is make the 3rd round (which would start Saturday-ish in North America) last 72 hours giving people an extra day to listen to those last four playlists and maybe listen to the first four again. By the second round, the voting should be up along with the prog sinking in.

This round is won and I'd like to get on to the rest of the matches in this first round. Plus I suspect this matchup will appear again in the semi's.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #57
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
What I find hilarious is that people will sit through 5-6 songs in 25 minutes, but if you get one song with the same amount of variation in that 25 minute period, they run in fear and whine about it being too long.
Maybe it's to do with being 16, a shortish attention span, but my mind just does seem to wander. I'm a victim of it on YouTube as well, I usually refrain from videos over five or six minutes in length.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Maybe it's to do with being 16, a shortish attention span, but my mind just does seem to wander. I'm a victim of it on YouTube as well, I usually refrain from videos over five or six minutes in length.
I've been listening to prog in all its extended glory since I was 7.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #59
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I've been listening to prog in all its extended glory since I was 7.
I was still in my "mAshEd PoTaTo mashed potato!! mashed banana mashed banana!! cold spahgetti cold spaghetti cold spaghetti....." phase at that age.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 AM   #60
Vocal parasite

When I was seven, who needed music? I had Thomas The Tank Engine! HO scale model trains! The real deal a block away!

(Hell, who needs music now? I'm still a train nut.)

Also, I encountered a bit of a stuff-up with my upload of Liam's tracklist, so that's going to be delayed. Bah. I won't start the second round until his links are live. Screwtape, maybe I should make that one 72 hours long just so that people have a fair chance to download and play Liam's tracks?

Gig pictures | Blog