Prog Island Album Game: Round 1, Heat 1! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
Axver's tracklist 4 25.00%
GibsonGirl's tracklist 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I think I'm going to have to sit out the first round, since I won't have time to listen to everything before voting closes.
Same here! 4 hours is a long freaking time to spare on a workday weeknight! I'll listen over the weekend!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 AM
You better hang in there long enough to listen to my playlist, Zoots!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Same here! 4 hours is a long freaking time to spare on a workday weeknight! I'll listen over the weekend!
I'd make a mental note of what you liked and didn't like. Not everyone likes all types of prog rock. You just have to find the ones you do. Keep at it.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Took the day off cos I was feeling sick. Listening to the first few songs from GG's playlist again. I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time. There's still hope for my prog journey!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Took the day off cos I was feeling sick. Listening to the first few songs from GG's playlist again. I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time. There's still hope for my prog journey!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

And I love the bassline of Siberian Khatru although not totally sold on the song as a whole.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Alright, Zootlesque! Usually things that are worthwhile take a little extra effort. And prog definitely needs more than one listen before you really start to enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:11 AM
I really enjoyed Axver's playlist a lot. Great flow and great songs. There's a lot of stuff in there that I haven't heard (as you can tell by my list, I'm rather attached to 70s prog ). I should probably listen to some more modern prog though, as quite a few bands on the playlist still seem to be heavily influenced by the 70s sound that I love. Spock's Beard and Frost, to name two. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy very much, however... For instance, I don't think I'll be checking out Magellan or Circus Maximus any time soon. But wow, I have to get some more Riverside, pronto! The lead guitarist reminds me slightly of David Gilmour. Which is fantastic on the list because The Curtain Falls goes straight into Sorrow. I'm going to have to look into Subterranean Masquerade as well.

As for flow, there are some great transitions. I particularly enjoyed Utopia into Marillion. I don't know why, but Mountaintop Sunrise/Communion With The Sun has always reminded me of Egypt. Probably has something to do with the 'Ra Ra Ra!' chant. And Assassing has a decidedly Middle Eastern feeling to it during the intro. So the two just fit. Porcupine Tree into Dream Theater is also perfect. I'm not a huge Dream Theater fan, but Trial Of Tears is a fantastic song and works very well within the context of Anesthetize.

Overall, a great playlist with very nice flow! Thanks for introducing me to some bands I probably never would have found out about on my own. I would have liked to see some more classics from the 70s in there, but as I said earlier, there are at least a few bands in the playlist that invoke the spirit of the 70s. It was tough deciding...I ended up voting for my list, only because I prefer the 70s sound and my list contains more of it.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I don't know why, but Mountaintop Sunrise/Communion With The Sun has always reminded me of Egypt. Probably has something to do with the 'Ra Ra Ra!' chant.

Ra, climbing the horizon
Rising up the mountain, lighting up the valley below
Ra, giver without measure
Beacon of compassion, shining through the spectrum of life
Day is born, night is gone
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun
Ra, ruler of all nature
Burning on forever, melting all together in one
Ra, holy synthesizer
Inspiration showers green and growing gardens of love
Voices rise to the song
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun, with the sun
Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra
Ra, climbing the horizon
Waves of light come rolling across the floor of the valley
Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra
Lift your eyes to the dawn
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun
Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Okay, this was a really tough decision. Both playlists were great in their own way, but I think I'm going with GibsonGirl. There wasn't a single song in her playlist that I didn't enjoy (except maybe that Rush song), and the transitions from song to song were absolutely amazing...her playlist was somewhat easier to digest, but still challenging and so mesmerizing.

However, I'll definitely be giving Axver's another listen sometime soon, as I already mentioned, the last few tracks (even the 26-minute long one) were great, and I have a feeling that the more I listen, the more I'll learn to enjoy and appreciate them.

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing more Pure Reason Revolution songs, I really like what I've heard so far.

This is fun, I never thought I could sit through 4 hours of Prog and not get restless.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time.
The Genesis song is a standout

As a few of us have mentioned the limited time to listen to the playlists, just wondering if there's a possibility of extending the deadline for voting. I really want to listen to both again, and I need more absorption time.

How about the end of the weekend? Like Monday?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
I need more absorption time.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

As a few of us have mentioned the limited time to listen to the playlists, just wondering if there's a possibility of extending the deadline for voting. I really want to listen to both again, and I need more absorption time.

What we could do is make the 3rd round (which would start Saturday-ish in North America) last 72 hours giving people an extra day to listen to those last four playlists and maybe listen to the first four again. By the second round, the voting should be up along with the prog sinking in.

Would that sound good?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

I'm assuming you mean Round 1, Heat 3.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I'm assuming you mean Round 1, Heat 3.
Yes.