Prog Island Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the Prog Island Winner!

• phanan

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • GibsonGirl

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not yet. :giggle:

Judging from what I've heard so far, I think that both of us are going to do very well in this competition. :) If we don't, the system is flawed. :wink:

Definitely. :up:

I'll finish listening to yours tonight and report back tomorrow, cap'n.

Very good. I'll do the same.

And, of course, I'll find some time in my extremely hectic summertime schedule to give Screwtape's a listen. :wink:

The only song on the 2nd disc I didn't like was the My Bloody Valentine song, everything else was gold, Jerry. Gold!

LemonMacPhisto said:
The only song on the 2nd disc I didn't like was the My Bloody Valentine song, everything else was gold, Jerry. Gold!

I guess that one is just a matter of taste. You either love or hate MBV. :shrug: I just thought it fit well between I Was A Lover and Casimir Pulaski Day. :)

No comment on your list until I completely finish it.

It was a good fit between those two songs, I just didn't like it that much.

Cool :up:

Holy crap I've got a lot to catch up on. Remind me to never go anywhere without much Internet access for nine days ever again.

Desert Island sign-up thread will be soonish. I tested my tracklist in New Zealand and it worked perfectly. Obscure as hell for the most part though!

Axver said:
Holy crap I've got a lot to catch up on. Remind me to never go anywhere without much Internet access for nine days ever again.

Desert Island sign-up thread will be soonish. I tested my tracklist in New Zealand and it worked perfectly. Obscure as hell for the most part though!

Welcome back Axver! :wave:

You really have missed a lot. Three playlists are already finished. I can't wait to hear yours. By the way, check your e-mail. :wink:

Axver said:

Obscure and prog-tastic? :wink:

Glad you're back.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Obscure and prog-tastic? :wink:

Actually, it's not as prog as you'd expect from me. However, that's due to its original theme.

The album has now evolved into something insanely complex. There is an overall purpose, a broad theme, a multi-faceted concept with a vague "ending", and more. I never quite intended for it to be that way, but everything fell into place so incredibly perfectly.

One section of the tracklist is a tribute to my hometown. I was there yesterday for the first time in over five years. I listened to the tracklist as I left on the train, and as it climbed up Paekakariki Hill and I caught my last glimpse of Kapiti Island glistening in the sunset, Neil Finn sung "do you climb into space, to the world where you live?" It was perfect. Then I listened to The Edge's Rowena's Theme as we pulled out of Muri station and I realised I may not see the Kapiti Coast again for a long time. It was even more perfect. At that point, I was convinced that my tracklist is the best I've made and shouldn't be altered.

Listening to the bleaker portion this morning on the plane over the Tasman in the 6am dark, with just a faint hint of dawn on the horizon, was an incredible experience. REM's Feeling Gravity's Pull as we flew over and away from the blackened Cook Strait was fucking creepy.

OK, I'm looking at doing the Desert Island III thread, but I want to know who's definitely in already so I can reserve spots. THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY IN AND NOT FOR NEW SIGNUPS!

I already have myself, phanan, Screwtape, GG, and LMP. Anyone else?

And for the record, the time limit will be 160 minutes and there will be 20 contestants.

I haven't checked this thread in a while. I didn't expect to win by so much. :huh: Phanan's playlist is incredible. I honestly expected it would be much closer.

Thanks to everyone who voted, and thanks to everyone who organised the competition!

Axver said:
OK, I'm looking at doing the Desert Island III thread, but I want to know who's definitely in already so I can reserve spots. THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY IN AND NOT FOR NEW SIGNUPS!

And for the record, the time limit will be 160 minutes and there will be 20 contestants.

Me too. :wave: I sent my entry to Screwtape already.

Axver said:

Actually, it's not as prog as you'd expect from me. However, that's due to its original theme.

The album has now evolved into something insanely complex. There is an overall purpose, a broad theme, a multi-faceted concept with a vague "ending", and more. I never quite intended for it to be that way, but everything fell into place so incredibly perfectly.

One section of the tracklist is a tribute to my hometown. I was there yesterday for the first time in over five years. I listened to the tracklist as I left on the train, and as it climbed up Paekakariki Hill and I caught my last glimpse of Kapiti Island glistening in the sunset, Neil Finn sung "do you climb into space, to the world where you live?" It was perfect. Then I listened to The Edge's Rowena's Theme as we pulled out of Muri station and I realised I may not see the Kapiti Coast again for a long time. It was even more perfect. At that point, I was convinced that my tracklist is the best I've made and shouldn't be altered.

Listening to the bleaker portion this morning on the plane over the Tasman in the 6am dark, with just a faint hint of dawn on the horizon, was an incredible experience. REM's Feeling Gravity's Pull as we flew over and away from the blackened Cook Strait was fucking creepy.

Sounds fantastic. :up:

LemonMelon said:

Me too. :wave: I sent my entry to Screwtape already.

Woops, didn't mean to forget you! OK, so that's six. Has anyone else committed?

Oh, Screwtape, I changed the titles of Sections 2 and 3 of my playlist:

Section 2 - The Great Escape

Section 3 - Is Someone Listening In?

Just giving you the head's up. :up:

Axver, these were the main things that were being suggested. So you don't have to go looking. :wink:

1. A two week time period between the sign-up thread and tournament start.

2. I think with the groups we should have one with only newcomers or people who didn’t go very far in the previous games. Then we can determine who is in each of the other three groups by a seeding according to how a person finished in the last game.

For example (suggesting these people had spots)...

LMP=Group 1 U2VF=Group 2 Axver=Group 3

Then we would take the next highest finishers and seed the highest in Group 3 and the lowest in Group 1.

Bono’s Shades =Group 1 XHendrix24=Group 2 Lancemc=Group 3

Then the next three...

LJT=Group 1 Screwtape=Group 2 Gibsongirl=Group 3

Then the final three...

Lara Mullen=Group 1 Bono_man2002= Group 2 FitzChivalry=Group 3

Group 1-LMP, Bono’s Shades, LJT, Lara Mullen
Group 2-U2VF, XHendrix, Screwtape, Bono-man2002
Group 3-Axver, Lancemc, Gibsongirl, FitzChivalry
Group 4- Newcomers…

Top 2 from each group advance to quarterfinals.

1. I'm cool with a 2 week period. I normally just pick a convenient Monday. I was thinking the 23rd as the start date.

2. Sure, I'd be happy if you did that. Emphasis on "you". It can be your funeral, not mine. :wink:

An additional rule is that songs from the first game can be used again. It was that long ago that I don't see any harm with re-admitting them. (Though personally, all four of my Island tracklists have not repeated a single track.)

Welcome back, Axver. Hope everything went well.

In addition to confirming the minutes and number of participants, there was a discussion on editing again.

I know your answer because you did it in the Prog Island game, but just confirm so everyone is on the same page. If someone wishes to edit a track that finishes, has silence, and then has a "hidden bonus track" tacked on at the end, is it ok to do so? You did so for Transatlantic, and actually, now that I have the CD, I did the same thing for The Third Ending.

Just let us know if this was only an exception made for Prog Island, or if it's ok every time.

I'm kinda thinking about participating if there is a spot left. But I hope newcomers are allowed to use any songs they wish!

phanan said:
Welcome back, Axver. Hope everything went well.

In addition to confirming the minutes and number of participants, there was a discussion on editing again.

I know your answer because you did it in the Prog Island game, but just confirm so everyone is on the same page. If someone wishes to edit a track that finishes, has silence, and then has a "hidden bonus track" tacked on at the end, is it ok to do so? You did so for Transatlantic, and actually, now that I have the CD, I did the same thing for The Third Ending.

Just let us know if this was only an exception made for Prog Island, or if it's ok every time.

Thanks. :)

And yes, that sort of editing will remain permissible. My logic is that if people want to use Song A, they can use Song A without Song B on the same file totally messing up their overall timing and tracklist cohesion.

Axver said:
An additional rule is that songs from the first game can be used again. It was that long ago that I don't see any harm with re-admitting them. (Though personally, all four of my Island tracklists have not repeated a single track.)

:grumpy:

That would've been great if I knew that a few weeks ago. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

:grumpy:

That would've been great if I knew that a few weeks ago. :wink:

You should've read the Prog Island threads more closely as I know that in one, I made my intention clear to permit repeats from the first game. :wink:

(Though the repeats rule will only apply to those who have competed in both previous editions. Someone who competed in Desert Island I but not II cannot re-use songs.)

Axver said:

what do you mean by already in? Do you mean you have to have done it before? Because I'd love to be in... do I have to submit my tracklist now to be in or do I reserve a spot or what? what is going on in my life

AtomicBono said:

what do you mean by already in? Do you mean you have to have done it before? Because I'd love to be in... do I have to submit my tracklist now to be in or do I reserve a spot or what? what is going on in my life

No, I mean those who have already expressed their intention to enter this coming tournament and have begun work or even completed their tracklist.

I'll make the sign-up thread later today. If you want to participate, just post in that.

Back
Top Bottom