Profits from Edun, where do they go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon

perhaps if the expensive line was very profitable they were then going to plan on spinning the profits into a more affordable line.

:shrug: who knows... i sure don't

Lil'Bono said:

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!

It seems like you assume they are making a profit.

Which I doubt they are and if they were it would likely go back into the company.

melon said:
I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Yeah, I see what you're saying and I wish they would address this more directly. They've always said that this is a high end fashion brand, but I don't think they've ever given any advice on what "norma" people could be doing to help out.

However, when EDUN began, a lot of people here pointed me in the direction towards other businesses that already make fair trade, organic clothing at affordable prices. I was always under the impression that EDUN wanted to start something completely new rather than just be another one of those companies (which obviously haven't been too successful since not many people are aware they already exist) and market higher end fashion design. Then they can get some indirect celebrity endorsement without having to actually pay celebs to wear their clothes. I mean, think of how many people here have already bought, or at least looked at, EDUN clothes b/c Bono and Edge wear them? I think I've seen half a dozen threads asking about Bono's jacket or Edge's T-shirt, etc, and where they can be purchased.

Lil'Bono said:

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!

You're still missing the point. How the hell does some saleswoman from Brown Thomas have the slightest clue what Bono does with his money? That's a private matter known only by Bono and his accountants. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean we won't call you out on it when you're statements make little sense.

How many times must we say it - EDUN is NOT a charity; it is a for-profit business.

Also, like we've said numerous times, it's highly unlikely they've even made money this past year. If they have, I'm positive ALL of it will be re-invested in the company, since it is so new and fashion is a business based on proper branding and marketing. You can't do that and be hugely profitable in only one year.

You're also forgetting about the other side of this business - regardless of how expensive the clothes are and who buys them, this is still creating new jobs with fair wages and benefits for people in third world countries.

So let me ask you this, if you're so concerned about "charity", what do you honestly consider more charitable: Bono giving money to charity (assuming he's making money with EDUN, which I'm assuming he's not), or EDUN creating good jobs for people struggling to support their families?

Last edited:
All I know is I supported the company with the most money I've ever spent on a shirt. It's my favorite color, lime green, and looks fantastic. It washes well, although a little thin. And I can tell you that it was not the most expensive t-shirt at Saks, but probably one of the least expensive. I certainly can't afford to shop there regularly and it points out to me how I benefit from lower-paid labor every day as I shop at Target.

I would also assume that Edun is not making money due to startup and marketing expenses.

Having my Edun shirt on in the ellipse did not help me get personal recognition from Bono...silly me, thinking that it would.

melon said:

Melon

I have to agree...

I don't see anything new in making clothes for the rich ones, that's the easy thing to do if you are famous and you want to propose a clothing line. In the case of edun, I understand that the profits are meant to charity and obviously bono and ali have to enjoy at least part of the money (they created the brand). But It would be great and interesting to see a clothing line project, with clear statements, paying what is right to their workers and supporting itself with good quality and good designs, at a reasonable price.

I bought an Edun T shirt on my U2 trip to New York. I bought it to support fair trade. I'd seen them advertised in a magazine and
thought they looked great.
In reality it is the poorest quality T shirt I have bought in a long time and by far the most expensive at $60. The material is thin and skimpy. Fair trade should work both ways!
My Interference T shirt is far better quality.

I thought they go to the people in Peru who actually produce the organic cotton and make the clothing? They actually get a decent wage to live from.

I mean... god help me if I ever buy a $200 pair of jeans... but if I know it's for sure going to a good cause like Bono's clothing line which gives work to poorer people... then yeah, I'd buy Edun.

High end fashion, and I mean really high end, couture stuff was never made in Kathy Lee Gifford's sweatshops. Even most of the pret-a-porter lines are produced in really limited quantities, and overwhelmingly in Europe, Italy being particularly favoured. High end jeans are produced in Italy and in the US. As far as that goes, Edun is not particularly groundbreaking except that it's available to slightly more people than the kind of stuff that's sold in exclusive boutiques in a couple of cities in the world.

SiW87 said:

I mean... god help me if I ever buy a $200 pair of jeans... but if I know it's for sure going to a good cause like Bono's clothing line which gives work to poorer people... then yeah, I'd buy Edun.

Of course if you are buying it to give fair trade work to poorer people, other lines of more moderately priced fair trade clothing would most likely actually give more to those very people. A high fashion line, with a famous designer on the payroll and placed in high priced stores (or online sites) on a for-profit basis, will almost certainly have much higher overhead than moderately priced fair trade merch in more moderate stores (or online). I'd bet that the initial worker is getting virtually the same amount per shirt for the $40 shirt from a moderately priced fair trade shop as he/she is from a $80 Edun shirt.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy an Edun shirt if you want it and can afford it, and being one of Bono's pet projects does bring the whole fair trade issue more attention, but Edun is certainly not the only way to buy nice fair trade clothes. It might not even be the best way.

Muggsy said:

But It would be great and interesting to see a clothing line project, with clear statements, paying what is right to their workers and supporting itself with good quality and good designs, at a reasonable price.

This is the main point. Plant the seed.
This clothing line is too expensive for me and most other's I know.
With that said, I don't have to buy $250 jeans or t-shirts but I can support other companies who also pay their employees fair wages with the quality and designs I would want and can afford.
I don't even buy clothes from the company I work for, even with a discount card, because of some of the overall practices of the corporation.
As soon as I find something else I won't be working for them either..
simply because they deny for others what they demand of themselves.

Edited to say: I don't need to know where Edun's profits go, exactly.. I can see the results of Bono and Ali and U2's areas of humanitarian work, and that's enough for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom