Professional Wrestler Chris Benoit, Wife, and son found dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
EDIT: Uhh I just realized we have a "Sports" forum. You can move and merge this people..

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday.

Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

:(

ChrisBenoit_315.jpg

OmG...when I used to watch wrestling he and Sting were my favorites because Benoit looked like a friend of my dad's. Even today I still kept track of him. I think I might actually cry about this.

Now it's being called a murder/suicide. How sad.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicide, and that the causes of death awaited autopsy results on Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight and Intercontinental champion. He also held several tag-team titles during his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The native of Canada maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class - warm, friendly, caring and professional one of the best in our business."

Oh God, I hope that's not true, I hope that's not what really happened, but I won't be surprised if it is either :sigh:

They're looking into steroids as a factor- that 'roid rage apparently can be pretty bad.

Some new stories are coming in that in 2003 Chris made violent threats to his wife Nancy and she feared for her safety and that of the children.
Right now, the police are saying that he strangled his wife, smothered his son and then hanged himself, but it might've happened over a two day period. At 3p EST, the police are supposed to issue a statement.

Once again, I just want to say that this is horrible and if these allegations are proven true, then Benoit's legacy within the industry he loved so much has been flushed down the toilet.

Either way, he, his wife and child are dead and the wrestling world will never see another performer like Chris Benoit.

Needless to say, WWE has scrapped the whole "McMahon is presumed dead" storyline.

I've never heard Benoit's name linked to steroids. Especially, after WWE came up with their wellness program after Eddie died. When WWE inroduced the program, several wrestlers were on alert, but Benoit was never one of them.

I'm hearing that this AP source is full of poop. A Georgia based newspaper had a lead that said that the wife killed the son, then called Chris and told him to rush home. This is why he left the PPV and went home so abruptly. Upon getting home, he saw what happened, killed the wife, sent goodbyes to WWE friends through texts, and killed himself.

The WWE knows more than what they can say and the sheriff said that when the actual details are released its going to sound really bizarre so Im not sure who to believe.

Another horrible tragedy in the wrestling community. I remember watching his wife on old wrestling broadcasts when she was a female manager.

Was Benoit at the PPV event or enroute and then left to go home after receiving a phone call from home? I think we should reserve judgement until all the facts are in. I agree that the WWE probably has more information on the events leading up to this past weekend. Plus don't count on roid rage as a possible factor. Life as a professional wrestler is very stressful just from a family point of view as these people are on the road travelling for most of the year and don't get to spend a lot time at home.

Sadly, it's probably the worst entertainment profession for any person to participate in. Broken families, premature deaths and debilitating injuries are common in this line of work.

That sounds bizarre - what are the odds of two murderers (re: the Georgia newspaper).

The WWE site says Benoit also missed the Saturday night event - doesn't sound like he rushed home.

Last edited:
ATLANTA - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son. Steroid abuse has been linked to depression, paranoia, and aggressive behavior or angry outbursts known as "roid rage."

"We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at," said Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard. He said test results may not be back for weeks.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Authorities were investigating the deaths at a secluded Fayette County home as a murder-suicide and were not seeking any suspects. The official who described the manner of death spoke on the condition of anonymity because the information was to be released at a news conference later Tuesday.

Investigators believe Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife, 43-year-old Nancy, and son Daniel during the weekend and then himself Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three separate rooms of the house, off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Nancy Benoit filed for a divorce in May 2003, saying their three-year union was irrevocably broken and alleging "cruel treatment." But she later dropped the complaint, as well as a request for a restraining order in which she charged that Benoit had threatened her and had broken furniture in their home.

In the divorce filing, she said Benoit made more than $500,000 a year as a professional wrestler and asked for permanent custody of Daniel and child support. In his response, Benoit sought joint custody.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return calls seeking comment. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

Asked about the condition of the interior of the house, sheriff's Sgt. Keith Whiteside said investigators found "nothing really out of the ordinary." He said Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

"We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't really outwardly warm," said Alaina Jones, who lives across the street.

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit's driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at the Benoits' gate. "They always seemed like they were the happiest people," he said.

ATLANTA - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house, Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. He would not comment on Benoit's state of mind or possible motive.

Autopsies showed all three died of asphyxiation, Pope said.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

The son, Daniel, was likely killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, Ballard said.

Benoit apparently killed himself several hours and as long as a day later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room, his body found hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

The prosecutor said he found it "bizarre" that the WWE wrestling star spread out the killings over a long weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

"I'm baffled about why anybody would kill a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able wrap our head around that."

Earlier, a law enforcement official speaking on a condition of anonymity said Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son.

david said:
ATLANTA - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house, Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. He would not comment on Benoit's state of mind or possible motive.

Autopsies showed all three died of asphyxiation, Pope said.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

The son, Daniel, was likely killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, Ballard said.

Benoit apparently killed himself several hours and as long as a day later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room, his body found hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

The prosecutor said he found it "bizarre" that the WWE wrestling star spread out the killings over a long weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

"I'm baffled about why anybody would kill a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able wrap our head around that."

Earlier, a law enforcement official speaking on a condition of anonymity said Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son.

Wow. Tragedies at a young age are becoming more common in the wrestling world today.

:sad:

There needs to be a thorough investigation of professional wrestling. The FBI should step in, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom