Problems With Ebay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
i just won an auction on a Sony MD R-90
and i'm tottaly new to ebay!, so i really need some help!!

i dont wanna pay though Pay Pal, so i selected to pay with credit card right....but from there i dont know what to do!!

anoyone help me out?

I would contact the buyer.

They are usually excited they sold the merchandise to they are usually friendly and will help you out (I have only paid through checks on EBAY...)

I've used PayPal almost exclusively, so I'm no help, but I am addicted to eBay. It's so great and so bad all at once. lol

it's been my experience that paying with credit card means either you can go through paypal (which said you don't want to do) or through them directly, which could be kinda unsafe, imo.

what other methods of payment are available? i would try to use anything else, like a money order. of course, i would stay away from cash, since that's extra-risky. and checks can be a pain, because most people wait for them to clear before shipping them up, adding on about another month before they'll ship the item.

You don't say why you don't want to use Paypal. I've done a lot of business on Ebay and I've found Paypal to be the quickest, easiest way to send money. Sending money through Paypal does not cost the buyer anything. There are no fees involved for you. It cost the seller about 8% of the total sales, including shipping, for the buyer to use their credit card.(I never completely figured out the exact % the fee is) You can also pay through paypal with you checking account.

You could send a money order, which is the next best way. It will cost you to get one. Depending on the amount of the money order is how much the fee will be.

I wouldn't advise on cash because then you have no way of proving anything if you end up with a bad seller who just took your money.

Checks are a hassle to the seller, and to you. The times I've taken personal checks, I waited two weeks after I cashed the check to send out the item. It's the slowest way to get your merchandise because most people are not just going to cash your check and mail your item out that day. There will be some waiting involved.

I would contact your seller or look on the auction page to see what other methods of payment there are. Most sellers will let you send a money order even if they don't have it listed on their auction page if you ask them so just email them and see what they say.

But in all honesty, I've done close to 200 ebay transactions as both buyer and seller and I've never had a problem using Paypal. It's easy to sign up too. It's just the quickest way to pay and most people will ship you item to you as soon as they receive payment. I hate the extra fee as a seller but I also want the money so it's my preferred choice of payment.

bono_man2002 said:
i just won an auction on a Sony MD R-90
and i'm tottaly new to ebay!, so i really need some help!!

i dont wanna pay though Pay Pal, so i selected to pay with credit card right....but from there i dont know what to do!!

anoyone help me out?

I've paid through both PayPal and Visa before... for credit cards, you just need the seller to confirm the total by following the ebay instructions after the auction has ended (there's usually an "information required" or "complete purchase" link beside the item in your account... click on that). Once the seller has confirmed the total (either by email, or through ebay), follow the ebay prompts to completing purchase with a credit card. As long as you declare your method of payment, it should be a piece of cake. The only problem you might have is waiting for the seller to confirm their total... if they don't, you can't go through ebay to pay. You'll have to contact them directly through email.

I definitely agree with arw... PayPal is a lot more reliable. I haven't had any problems with it, and it maintains a certain amount of anonymity between you and the seller.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies....

well i'm not paying with paypal, cause i dont have my membership number as of yet.....

anyway, seller has confirmed total, and i have selected to pay with credit card....and nothing has happend since

bono_man2002 said:
anyway, seller has confirmed total, and i have selected to pay with credit card....and nothing has happend since
because the ball's in your court. the seller has confirmed the total, he or she has essentially given you your bill. now you have to pay it before they'll ship off anything. the only e-mail you'll get is perhaps after a couple days, they may wonder where their payment is. since you selected to pay by credit card, it will take a lot less time and there's no mailing of money involved. however, the seller may not mail you at all and just file a non-paying bidder complaint against you if you wait too long.

The seller will contct you anyway after a while if you still haven't paid. He may help you then.

how do i pay with the credit card then?:scratch:

do i get an e-mail saying 'enter card details here'
or something....sorry but i dunno!

Last edited:
martha said:
And next time: Read the details before you bid!

That's pretty much the key to it.

Won't Ebay let you pay through its site? What does the link say beside the item you purchased... something like Information Requested? If it says that, email the seller to make sure they want to deal through ebay... some just like to do it all privately, so the process is faster.

There's options to email customer service on Ebay for help. I would do that and I would also let your seller know that you are working on trying to pay or you're going to have an angry seller if there's been no communication from you.

i've used the help...and the guy is away on weeekends anyway so i've decided to send him money through internet banking...
i was talking to my friend and he uses it that why....
all i need are the persons bank detail.....so i've just e-mailed him if he would like to do that...

martha said:
And next time: Read the details before you bid!
:yes: if the seller is only saying you can pay through paypal (which a lot do nowadays for sheer convenience), and you bid and win, but then say you can't send money through paypal, if ebay needs to intervene, they'll side with the seller since you didn't read the fine print.

btw, i'm just using a general you here, i'm not referring to anyone specifically.

Back
Top Bottom