prior possibly out for the year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs are not going to rush Mark Prior back, and even acknowledged Friday that it is possible Prior could miss the entire season.

Prior, who has been nursing injuries to his right Achilles tendon and to his right elbow, threw about 35 pitches on Friday, doubling the number of throws from his first mound session Wednesday.

And while pitching coach Larry Rothschild was encouraged by Prior's latest outing, he told the Chicago Tribune that a "chain reaction" could occur if Prior resumed pitching before he was totally pain free. The Cubs have said they hope to have their 23-year-old star back by early to mid-May, but they certainly don't know for sure when Prior will return.

"No, it's not even close," Rothschild told the Chicago Tribune. "Even if I could, I wouldn't [speculate when he might return] until he has been on the mound and is just about ready to face hitters."

Manager Dusty Baker even addressed the possibility of Prior not pitching in a game this season.

"Now, can we win without him over the course of the whole year? Yes, we can," Baker told the newspaper. "But the job will be a lot more difficult."

Prior will probably throw off a mound again Sunday or Monday as the Cubs continue to monitor his progress.

"As he feels better and better, he'll do more and more," Rothschild told the paper. "It's more important to see how he feels after today. He has to be pain free, both in his arm and his Achilles.

"We have to make sure both issues are covered, because we don't want a chain reaction to happen. That's what we're guarding against."

"I wasn't airing it out," Prior said. "I'm just trying to find the release point, trying to find my mechanics right now. It didn't hurt today. Hopefully it doesn't hurt tomorrow."

Prior has only thrown fastballs, and he said his body will be tested more when he starts throwing curveballs and breaking balls.

"I'll hopefully start moving in that direction Sunday, Monday, see how I respond to that and then go from there," he said.

"He has to get his delivery where it needs to be and not put undue stress on the shoulder or arm," Rothschild told The Tribune. "As we go forward and his velocity increases, this is what we'll have to watch."

Prior said that the Achilles injury was actually more his ankle. Bone scans showed problems in the ankle, and pain from that transferred to his Achilles, causing some inflammation.

Prior was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and helped the Cubs reach the NL championship

yeah, im crying

Baker knocks down latest Prior rumor
By Fred Mitchell
Tribune staff reporter

April 17, 2004

Another day, another rumor to refute regarding Mark Prior.

The latest one is of the Internet variety, asserting Prior will miss the entire season with his elbow and Achilles' tendon injuries.

"Hey, man, that's a lie," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said.

"I don't know who's putting that out. Some people say I said it and I am tired of people putting words in my mouth when I didn't say it. If it came out of my mouth I would tell you (the Chicago media) before I would tell somebody else.

"No, Prior isn't out for the season. He threw the ball good [Friday] and Prior didn't feel any soreness [Saturday]. Very positive signs. Seems like on the Internet today you can say whatever you want to say. Nobody is held accountable for what they say."

:wink: :kiss:

Last edited:
and 131 pitches for wood today in a game in April, very smart

and a freak out tantrum by the pitcher who got ejected

and classy cubs fans throwing stuff on the field

a day after a freak out tantrum by the manager who got ejected

and classy cubs fans throwing stuff on the field

:madspit:

bakers just trying to send wood to the dl. i could see in august in a crucial stretch run or something and wood was lights out and the pen had been shaky, but its april.

i wont complain or argue though...

we should rumble like they're doing in that other thread. i think i'm going to have to challenge you to a dance-off. :|

im a ddr champ

and trust me im not whining, i think dusty should have his pitchers throw 200 pitches every game

zoney! said:
:|

I've been in Yankee/Mets (in that order) country all weekend and don't know the latest on the cubbies.

and you didn't come to say hello? i'm hurt :sad:

black jack mcdowell... who's such a reliable source... accused mark prior of taking steroids. there is absolutely no scientific proof behind the accusations, but then again, there's no scientific proof behind the accusations of bonds, giambi, sheffield, sosa, mcgwire, etc., so what the hey... might as well run with it. mccarthyism rules!!!

i think mcdowell tried to backtrack in the chicago tribune later, although i can't remember because most of the article was about his rock band. :|

Back
Top Bottom