Prince: underrated or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aygo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Recently, I've been rediscovering and making another kind of approach to the work of Prince.
After exploring it much better, I've concluded that Prince is far much more than the androgynous figure that had some hits on the charts. The hits are just coincidence.
In my opinion, Prince is unfairly underrated by some because of that mainstream side (that runned after him, and not the opposite, as usual) that obscured his geniality in the way he writes, composes, produces and acts.

I'd like to hear some opinions...
Cheers!:wave:

Perfectly rated, IMO. He is generally regarded as a genius by most, which is exactly what he is.

Prince :up:

I'd say underrated by the general populace, but perfectly rated by rock music afficianados.

corianderstem said:
I'd say underrated by the general populace, but perfectly rated by rock music afficianados.

i'd say that sums it up nicely - those who 'get' it get it. the average schmo probably doesn't, and thinks he's a jagoff.

but prince is an absolute genius, a fantastic musician, an unbeliveable composer/arranger/producer, with an uncanny sense of style and the times, and a fully - involed manipulator of his own image.

he's the closest thing to an american david bowie, with america as his frame of reference, and not london.

He is too talented to be a superstar like Daugherty or Beyonce or Nickelback. Someday Prince, someday.

corianderstem said:

Yeah, I have with this, it's sums more or less what I didn't express.

Anyway, only counting on the overall public, Prince is unfairly seen as a MTV hit maker in the 1980's and early 1990's.

I have both Diamonds And Pearls and O(+> in my itunes. I listen to O(+> more. I like a handful of songs on both! But for whatever reason I find it hard to listen to those albums from start to finish.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Sadly, post-1988 he'll never get what he deserves.

Underrated

:love: Prince

I agree. The fact is, I don't believe there has ever been a single more talented INDIVIDUAL musician. Simply amazing.

VERY UNDERRATED!!

The fact that he was compared to Michael Jackson(Why? Because he too is skinny, effeminate, and light skinned black?) is not only an insult to the brilliance that is Prince, but in a world that celebrates mediocraty, rendered him less popular. Prince's 80's output was decades ahead of it's time up. His music is unpredictable, creative, and interesting. He plays his own instruments, writes, and produces his own songs. AND he dances, so he is a quadruple threat.

Back
Top Bottom