Prince - I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This has got to be one of the most under-appreciated hits in his career. It's purely 80s and purely Prince. I love the synth, but the guitar in the song is subtle but suitably skillful. It's a fun song and a great vocal with such a simple narrative. It's like Prince at his most subdued and ambitious all at once.

:bow:

There's a great video on youtube of the first verse or so performed live and acoustic, too. :drool:

Babayyyyyy, don't waaaaaaaaaaste my tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!
I knoooooooooow what's onnnnnnnn your miiiiiiiiind!

Love this song.

Can't believe I overlooked this thread, when it was initially posted. One of the best songs of the '80s, and easily one of Prince's very, very, very best.

I could name 25 Prince songs that deserve their own thread. The man is just. that. good.

This song is def in his Top 5. I was just listening to Sign O' the Times, and even though you have to wait until halfway through disc 2 to hear it, the rest of that masterpiece is so good you don't mind.

Strange that for a poppy song it's nearly 6.5 minutes long. Love the solo, the breakdown...everything.

I remember seeing The Afghan Whigs in concert on the 1965 tour, and they're well known for doing covers of R&B stuff (TLC's Creep, The Supremes' Come See About Me). They broke into this song and I totally lost my shit.

BTW, didn't U2 cover The Cross on the Joshua Tree tour? Or am I crazy?

UnforgettableLemon said:
This has got to be one of the most under-appreciated hits in his career. It's purely 80s and purely Prince. I love the synth, but the guitar in the song is subtle but suitably skillful. It's a fun song and a great vocal with such a simple narrative. It's like Prince at his most subdued and ambitious all at once.

:bow:

There's a great video on youtube of the first verse or so performed live and acoustic, too. :drool:
The single version is probably my favorite Prince song! (Well, after The Beautiful Ones, maybe.) I didn't know other Prince fans liked it so much.

lazarus said:
BTW, didn't U2 cover The Cross on the Joshua Tree tour? Or am I crazy?

No they didn't. And yes, you certainly are crazy! (You asked for it! :p)

But Bono did sing The Cross once. It was at a Prince aftershow somewhere in Dublin. IIRC, the year was 1995.

:)

He did a BLUESY version during the 2002 Celebration that is amazing.... totally reinvented the song....

Back
Top Bottom