Prince Caspian Trailer!!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 04:00 PM
Prince Caspian Trailer!!!!

Here is the Internet Premier to Prince Caspian. The sequel to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/53...tandardformat/
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
MsPurrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Heartland (Indiana, USA)
Posts: 42,652
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Re: Prince Caspian Trailer!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Here is the Internet Premier to Prince Caspian. The sequel to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/53...tandardformat/
Thank you--I am *so* there!
__________________

__________________
MsPurrl is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 07:00 PM
The most I can say is that it looks surprisingly decent. And I disliked the first film quite a bit.

There's still no way I'm seeing it though. I'm sick believe words of all the worthless cash-in "fantasy epics" that have been coming out in unrelenting fashion the past few years. God, is it awful.

I blame
.

Thanks for setting a bar of acceptable moderate quality that all these copy-cats can't even come close to reaching. How sad.

But like I said, this looks like it could be decent. We'll see.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
The most I can say is that it looks surprisingly decent. And I disliked the first film quite a bit.

There's still no way I'm seeing it though. I'm sick believe words of all the worthless cash-in "fantasy epics" that have been coming out in unrelenting fashion the past few years. God, is it awful.

I blame
.

Thanks for setting a bar of acceptable moderate quality that all these copy-cats can't even come close to reaching. How sad.

But like I said, this looks like it could be decent. We'll see.
Well at least Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars period (yes better than Empire, A new Hope and the rest of the Trilogy. Hell even 2001: A Space Odyssey is more exciting than Star Wars!!
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Well, I might have to give you that much.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,002
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24


Well at least Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars period (yes better than Empire, A new Hope and the rest of the Trilogy. Hell even 2001: A Space Odyssey is more exciting than Star Wars!!

Ahh...no. One was from pretty esteemed source material, and the other was from another man's imagination. I'll take the entire 6 film Star Wars saga, which is much greater in scope (and more artistic cinematically) than the 3 film LOTR.

Can I get some backup on this?
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus



Can I get some backup on this?
I'm not really crazy about either, each series having its highs and lows personally, both of which are incredibly ambitious, and stunning achievements of "There's no way those films ever should have worked!"

So, yes and no. I don't have much of a preference.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,951
Local Time: 12:00 AM
I'm just glad we get to see both of these series. It's not often Hollywood makes great trilogies.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I'm just glad we get to see both of these series. It's not often Hollywood makes great trilogies.

That's true, but the success of the Lord of the Rings I feel, along with a few other successful film franchises of late has really convinced studios that all they really need is one catchy, expensive flashy first film, after which they can immediately start (pre) production on 2, 3 or even more films in said franchise. The Hollywood shit machine is actually showing signs of speeding up this century it seems, at least in terms of the easy franchise ideal.

But then again, these behemoth's help fun all the less expensive films made by real talent that are also becoming more frequent in the mainstream to an extent, so maybe it's a good thing. I don't know.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 07:00 PM
I can't wait to see this. I used to read Prince Caspian all the time when I was a kid - it was my favourite Narnia book. Some of the scenes in this trailer are almost identical to the way I imagined them while reading.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus



Ahh...no. One was from pretty esteemed source material, and the other was from another man's imagination. I'll take the entire 6 film Star Wars saga, which is much greater in scope (and more artistic cinematically) than the 3 film LOTR.

Can I get some backup on this?
I got your back. I'll take the Original Trilogy against the LOTR trilogy any day in terms of effects (the Trench Run is still probably one of the most engaging action sequences in film), character, story, and gay companions (C3PO > Sam Gamgee).

LOTR does have the better "Awesome Old Sage" of the two series' though. Both of them "died," but Gandalf was badass enough to actually come back "more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,951
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc


But like I said, this looks like it could be decent. We'll see.
Interesting, since Narnia is probably the movie series most guilty of ripping off LOTR.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,002
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


I got your back. I'll take the Original Trilogy against the LOTR trilogy any day in terms of effects (the Trench Run is still probably one of the most engaging action sequences in film), character, story, and gay companions (C3PO > Sam Gamgee).

LOTR does have the better "Awesome Old Sage" of the two series' though. Both of them "died," but Gandalf was badass enough to actually come back "more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

The effects of the prequels are far better as well; as good a job as WETA did they don't hold a candle to ILM. Just look at the cave troll from Fellowship--god that was awful.

The prequels take a lot of shit because of the lack of "real" locations, but if you look at the quality of the work itself, there is nothing in LOTR that really tops its SW counterpart. Even the breakthrough work on Gollum is surpassed by the subtle and wholly "human" realization of Yoda (especially in ROTS, where he's heartbreaking). Also, while the Trench Run has the benefit of great writing and characterization, the Pod Race as a set piece alone is such a fantastic achievement of effects and editing that I feel it never gets enough credit.

Bottom line though, and this is the difference for me, I prefer Lucas's traditional, Ford & Kurosawa-inspired frame compositions to Jackson's ameteurish b-movie bag of tricks (the canted angles, "zombie-cam", overhead helicopter cam"). They are both storytellers of the highest order but I find SW functions better as capital-A art, an aspect that is rarely discussed when comparing the two.
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus



The effects of the prequels are far better as well; as good a job as WETA did they don't hold a candle to ILM. Just look at the cave troll from Fellowship--god that was awful.

The prequels take a lot of shit because of the lack of "real" locations, but if you look at the quality of the work itself, there is nothing in LOTR that really tops its SW counterpart. Even the breakthrough work on Gollum is surpassed by the subtle and wholly "human" realization of Yoda (especially in ROTS, where he's heartbreaking). Also, while the Trench Run has the benefit of great writing and characterization, the Pod Race as a set piece alone is such a fantastic achievement of effects and editing that I feel it never gets enough credit.

Bottom line though, and this is the difference for me, I prefer Lucas's traditional, Ford & Kurosawa-inspired frame compositions to Jackson's ameteurish b-movie bag of tricks (the canted angles, "zombie-cam", overhead helicopter cam"). They are both storytellers of the highest order but I find SW functions better as capital-A art, an aspect that is rarely discussed when comparing the two.
I enjoy both, but, the original Star Wars trilogy holds up after repeated viewings a lot better than LOTR. I'm LOTR biased because I loved the books so much as a kid, but I enjoy Star Wars, especially Empire, a little more.

The Pod Race. Thank you. Why do people rip this??? I loved it, and still do. It's fun, it's exciting, it's a marvel of modern day filmmaking. It's a tad long, but so what? I give Phantom a bigger break than most people do, I guess, and the end sequences always redeem its shortcomings, at least to me.

Anyway, this thread might turn into yet another Star Wars debate thread, sorry.....

I saw Narnia and thought it was ok. Read the book later in life, so there's no real attachment there for me. I doubt I'll see this, but, you never know.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl


Interesting, since Narnia is probably the movie series most guilty of ripping off LOTR.
And the Lord of the Rings is probably the best modern fantasy epic, so it's not surprisingly then. I still think the series has put a trend in motion that's not likely to stop any time in the next 10 or 15 years, which I find unfortunate.

As for the prequel trilogy, there's absolutely no denying what an unparalleled technological success they are, just like the original trilogy was originally. There's simply no beating ILM in the SFX game. That's the one slight disappointment I have regarding the production of Cameron's Avatar; he chose WETA over ILM. Now, I do understand the decision given WETA has by far the most advanced performance capture studios on the planet, but the FX designers themselves can't really hold a candle to the lads over at ILM.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com