Prince Caspian Trailer!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most I can say is that it looks surprisingly decent. And I disliked the first film quite a bit.

There's still no way I'm seeing it though. I'm sick believe words of all the worthless cash-in "fantasy epics" that have been coming out in unrelenting fashion the past few years. God, is it awful.

I blame
jackson-peter-photo-peter-jackson-6207017.jpg

Thanks for setting a bar of acceptable moderate quality that all these copy-cats can't even come close to reaching. How sad.

But like I said, this looks like it could be decent. We'll see.

Lancemc said:
The most I can say is that it looks surprisingly decent. And I disliked the first film quite a bit.

There's still no way I'm seeing it though. I'm sick believe words of all the worthless cash-in "fantasy epics" that have been coming out in unrelenting fashion the past few years. God, is it awful.

I blame
jackson-peter-photo-peter-jackson-6207017.jpg

Thanks for setting a bar of acceptable moderate quality that all these copy-cats can't even come close to reaching. How sad.

Well at least Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars period (yes better than Empire, A new Hope and the rest of the Trilogy. Hell even 2001: A Space Odyssey is more exciting than Star Wars!!

Justin24 said:

Well at least Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars period (yes better than Empire, A new Hope and the rest of the Trilogy. Hell even 2001: A Space Odyssey is more exciting than Star Wars!!

Ahh...no. One was from pretty esteemed source material, and the other was from another man's imagination. I'll take the entire 6 film Star Wars saga, which is much greater in scope (and more artistic cinematically) than the 3 film LOTR.

Can I get some backup on this?

lazarus said:

I'm not really crazy about either, each series having its highs and lows personally, both of which are incredibly ambitious, and stunning achievements of "There's no way those films ever should have worked!"

So, yes and no. I don't have much of a preference. :)

I'm just glad we get to see both of these series. :shrug: It's not often Hollywood makes great trilogies.

U2girl said:
I'm just glad we get to see both of these series. :shrug: It's not often Hollywood makes great trilogies.

That's true, but the success of the Lord of the Rings I feel, along with a few other successful film franchises of late has really convinced studios that all they really need is one catchy, expensive flashy first film, after which they can immediately start (pre) production on 2, 3 or even more films in said franchise. The Hollywood shit machine is actually showing signs of speeding up this century it seems, at least in terms of the easy franchise ideal.

But then again, these behemoth's help fun all the less expensive films made by real talent that are also becoming more frequent in the mainstream to an extent, so maybe it's a good thing. I don't know.

I can't wait to see this. I used to read Prince Caspian all the time when I was a kid - it was my favourite Narnia book. Some of the scenes in this trailer are almost identical to the way I imagined them while reading.

lazarus said:

Ahh...no. One was from pretty esteemed source material, and the other was from another man's imagination. I'll take the entire 6 film Star Wars saga, which is much greater in scope (and more artistic cinematically) than the 3 film LOTR.

I got your back. I'll take the Original Trilogy against the LOTR trilogy any day in terms of effects (the Trench Run is still probably one of the most engaging action sequences in film), character, story, and gay companions (C3PO > Sam Gamgee).

LOTR does have the better "Awesome Old Sage" of the two series' though. Both of them "died," but Gandalf was badass enough to actually come back "more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Lancemc said:

Interesting, since Narnia is probably the movie series most guilty of ripping off LOTR.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I got your back. I'll take the Original Trilogy against the LOTR trilogy any day in terms of effects (the Trench Run is still probably one of the most engaging action sequences in film), character, story, and gay companions (C3PO > Sam Gamgee).

LOTR does have the better "Awesome Old Sage" of the two series' though. Both of them "died," but Gandalf was badass enough to actually come back "more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

The effects of the prequels are far better as well; as good a job as WETA did they don't hold a candle to ILM. Just look at the cave troll from Fellowship--god that was awful.

The prequels take a lot of shit because of the lack of "real" locations, but if you look at the quality of the work itself, there is nothing in LOTR that really tops its SW counterpart. Even the breakthrough work on Gollum is surpassed by the subtle and wholly "human" realization of Yoda (especially in ROTS, where he's heartbreaking). Also, while the Trench Run has the benefit of great writing and characterization, the Pod Race as a set piece alone is such a fantastic achievement of effects and editing that I feel it never gets enough credit.

Bottom line though, and this is the difference for me, I prefer Lucas's traditional, Ford & Kurosawa-inspired frame compositions to Jackson's ameteurish b-movie bag of tricks (the canted angles, "zombie-cam", overhead helicopter cam"). They are both storytellers of the highest order but I find SW functions better as capital-A art, an aspect that is rarely discussed when comparing the two.

lazarus said:

The effects of the prequels are far better as well; as good a job as WETA did they don't hold a candle to ILM. Just look at the cave troll from Fellowship--god that was awful.

The prequels take a lot of shit because of the lack of "real" locations, but if you look at the quality of the work itself, there is nothing in LOTR that really tops its SW counterpart. Even the breakthrough work on Gollum is surpassed by the subtle and wholly "human" realization of Yoda (especially in ROTS, where he's heartbreaking). Also, while the Trench Run has the benefit of great writing and characterization, the Pod Race as a set piece alone is such a fantastic achievement of effects and editing that I feel it never gets enough credit.

Bottom line though, and this is the difference for me, I prefer Lucas's traditional, Ford & Kurosawa-inspired frame compositions to Jackson's ameteurish b-movie bag of tricks (the canted angles, "zombie-cam", overhead helicopter cam"). They are both storytellers of the highest order but I find SW functions better as capital-A art, an aspect that is rarely discussed when comparing the two.

I enjoy both, but, the original Star Wars trilogy holds up after repeated viewings a lot better than LOTR. I'm LOTR biased because I loved the books so much as a kid, but I enjoy Star Wars, especially Empire, a little more.

The Pod Race. Thank you. Why do people rip this??? I loved it, and still do. It's fun, it's exciting, it's a marvel of modern day filmmaking. It's a tad long, but so what? I give Phantom a bigger break than most people do, I guess, and the end sequences always redeem its shortcomings, at least to me.

Anyway, this thread might turn into yet another Star Wars debate thread, sorry.....

I saw Narnia and thought it was ok. Read the book later in life, so there's no real attachment there for me. I doubt I'll see this, but, you never know.

U2girl said:

Interesting, since Narnia is probably the movie series most guilty of ripping off LOTR.

And the Lord of the Rings is probably the best modern fantasy epic, so it's not surprisingly then. I still think the series has put a trend in motion that's not likely to stop any time in the next 10 or 15 years, which I find unfortunate.

As for the prequel trilogy, there's absolutely no denying what an unparalleled technological success they are, just like the original trilogy was originally. There's simply no beating ILM in the SFX game. That's the one slight disappointment I have regarding the production of Cameron's Avatar; he chose WETA over ILM. Now, I do understand the decision given WETA has by far the most advanced performance capture studios on the planet, but the FX designers themselves can't really hold a candle to the lads over at ILM.

Blame the game (writers and directors), not the player. :shrug:

I think the original SW movies will aways be credited for state of the art SF (of the time) and influencing SF in movies overall, just as LOTR will be credited for, say, Gollum. I think both ILM and WETA are amazing.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Jackson is the New Zealand equivalent to Sam Raimi, which is probably why I enjoy Raimi's work with the Spidey series a hell of a lot more than Jackson's work with LOTR.

Speaking of effects, the "dead" army in Return of the King is so godly awful compared to the rest of the series. The library ghost in Ghostbusters looked better than those pieces of garbage.

Lancemc said:
Good thing they're ghosts so they can't do shit to him.

I guess you weren't paying attention during ROTK. The ghosts fucked up anyone and anything in their path. You could be next, Lance, so check yourself before you wreck yourself.

No spoken words said:

I guess you weren't paying attention during ROTK. The ghosts fucked up anyone and anything in their path. You could be next, Lance, so check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Oh I payed attention, and noticed that. Which is one of the bigger reasons why that film is a piece of shit.

Lancemc said:

Oh I payed attention, and noticed that. Which is one of the bigger reasons why that film is a piece of shit.

"piece of shit" is a bit harsh, but, any scene involving these ghosts is pretty fucking weak.

But, YLB is pretty fucking weak.

Dwight Howard FTW.

True. It's not a piece of shit.

But that's how I feel about it something. Overrated in every sense of the word.

Not as overrated as LMP though.

It's funny that YLB is mostly thought of as a jack-ass, yet he's still overrated.

I'm a sucker for swords and sorcery and such, so, the trilogy gets extra ratings points from me almost automatically.

I still prefer Excalibur, for all its shitty effects.

I'm obnoxious, dirty, and harassing actually.

Dwight Howard is still my best friend, though.

How about that sci-fi original miniseries Merlin, with Sam Neil. Now that was awesomely shitty.

Kind of like LMP, except Merlin was heavier on the awesome than on the shitty.

Back
Top Bottom