Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
So seeing Prince perform at the Superbowl Half-time show and having just recently bought Purple Rain, I figured it's about time for a good Prince thread.

Here is a man so ridiculously talented, funky, and downright cool he puts most other artists to shame. It's really unfortunate that he often gets forgotten as a sort of 80's novelty instead of the truly brilliant artist he is. He may not be at a Bowie-level of genius, but he's up there for sure.

And Purple Rain is one of the most excellent albums ever produced. "When Doves Cry" is one of the catchiest, most funky and melodically perfect pop songs ever crafted. "Let's Go Crazy" is a classic rock track. "I Would Die 4 U" is about as sweet as pop music gets. And the title track is a timeless epic that solidified Prince as a guitar-god, a lyrical masterpiece, and a cinematic epic clocking at close to 9-minutes in length. "Purple Rain" is one of the finest ballads ever written, and its scope propels it above its peers.

So basically, I love Prince, though I never really listen to him that often, which I'm going to change. Aside from Purple Rain and a Hits collection I don't own any of his material. I'm planning on picking up 1999 and Sign O' The Times soon though. :drool: Can't wait. But until then I'll just keep listening to Purple Rain. :love:

I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man :drool:

You know what blows my mind about When Doves Cry? There's no bass! I never realized it until recently, and it seems so weird for such a dance/funk heavy song to have no bass. It's a brilliant song. That whole album is great, even the non-hits.

Baby I'm a Star needs to get more airplay. Love it.

Last edited:
Purple Rain is my favorite Prince song. It's a masterpiece. :drool:

When You Were Mine :up:

Sign O' The Times as a whole :up:

corianderstem said:
You know what blows my mind about When Doves Cry? There's no bass! I never realized it until recently, and it seems so weird for such a dance/funk heavy song to have no bass. It's a brilliant song. That whole album is great, even the non-hits.

I know. In the booklet for The Hits compilation/boxset this is also mentioned. I'll see if I can type that story here later, but basically When Doves Cry was a last-minute addition to the album (with Prince playing everything IIRC). When the bassist heard that track he was surprised/annoyed that another song was added (and the album thus wasn't finished yet). He also noticed that there was no bass on that track. When he said that to Prince his answer was something like: "I know. I tried it with bass, but it just didn't sound right." And I think he's right about that one. You don't doubt mid-80s Prince's decisions (from the late 80s/90s on, that's another story).

:)

I'm going to try to get into his stuff after seeing the Super Bowl.

No one told me he could play like that.

Prince was at one time probably the most genius songwriter and musician we had playing on the radio and on TV. Too bad he got caught up in himself a little too much and he's lost a lot of his ability to write an amazing song. Still a very underated guitar player and great performer, I just wish he could write a good song again.:(

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Prince was at one time probably the most genius songwriter and musician we had playing on the radio and on TV. Too bad he got caught up in himself a little too much and he's lost a lot of his ability to write an amazing song. Still a very underated guitar player and great performer, I just wish he could write a good song again.:(

I think he's still writing good (excellent) songs. Only thing is, he needs an editor who has the power to push out all the mediocre songs so that when Prince releases an album, it's filled with good (excellent) songs. Instead of just have a few of them.

^I think the new album is a good example of that....the middle section sags a bit but the first few songs and the last few are really good.

That YouTube clip posted on the previous page? Do yourself a favor and watch it. It's AMAZING.

Oh god absolutely love Prince to bits :dance: :bow: :dancing: :applaud: :rockon:

Total genius!!!!! :yes: was lucky enough to see him twice in the 90's! :drool: :love: he was just out of this world! :yes:

phanan said:
The Cross is one of my favorite Prince songs.

:up:

I love Prince, and it infuriates me when people compare him to Michael Jackson.

I guess that's ignorance for you. :happy:

namkcuR said:
Are you denying that Michael Jackson is also ridiculously talented? Or at least WAS ridiculously talented?

No, not at all. I love Black Michael's music a lot.

But one is sexually charged funk/r&b singer/guitarist/eccentric genius.

The other is a super-talented pop singer and child molester who used to look cool as hell and now looks like Joan Crawford.

LemonMacPhisto said:

No, not at all. I love Black Michael's music a lot.

But one is sexually charged funk/r&b singer/guitarist/eccentric genius.

The other is a super-talented pop singer and child molester who used to look cool as hell and now looks like Joan Crawford.

Accused child molester.

fuckin' Lance, you beat me too it. :wink:

He, like O.J., lost in the court of public opinion.

There's no doubt he's a tremendous talent, I'll listen to his music forever (Thriller, Off the Wall...) but I don't have to like the guy.

Who says the man can´t write songs? I think "Lolita" off the last Prince joint was a great pop song with catchy riffs. I like the NPG albums a lot, take "Gold" or "Exodus", one of the best albums of the 90s.

If anyone wants a laugh, watch the Prince press conference for the Superbowl.

It´s a pity he doesn´t play Europe anymore. After beating everyone else at the US box office, why not back to good old Europe?

That said, the show was great, but if you think THIS 10-minute-performance pays tribute to his talent, you probably haven´t heard much of him.

Last edited:
one4u2 said:
Prince is :drool:

Yeah but he was :combust: in Purple Rain! :love:

I don't know why he did 2 other peoples' songs at the halftime show. He's got such a great back catalog of his own!

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
It´s a pity he doesn´t play Europe anymore. After beating everyone else at the US box office, why not back to good old Europe?

because las vegas owns him now :wink:

phanan said:
The Cross is one of my favorite Prince songs.

Mine too! I also love "Kiss." I remember when that song first came on the radio back in the day. It was so stripped down and un-Princelike, but still so incredibly funky.

As for his current work, "Black Sweat" might be one of his sexiest songs ever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom