Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Brilliant funk-soul the way it's meant to be done.

Really it's a pity his records spawned so many crap imitators like the watered down over-produced dross that pollutes MTV and the charts these days (not his fault mind you).

I can listen to "Purple Rain," "Pop Life," "I Would Die 4 U," "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man," "Cinnamon Girl," and "Kiss" for days, nay, weeks on end.

Oh, and about a bazillion other songs.

I actually saw him in concert, believe it or not! It was the Sign O' The Times tour. I was a little apprehensive about how much onstage obnoxiousness to expect, but it turned out to be nothing more than a really awesome, really tight lineup of great musicians. It was a brilliant show, really, probably the most energetic one I've ever seen.

Also, our seats were only about 15 feet away from George Clinton and some of his entourage! :hyper: I couldn't believe he was seated way out in the middle of the arena! It was almost as much fun watching him, on his feet grooving the entire time, as watching what was happening onstage.

Ah, the good old days, when I actually had time and money to spend on things other than childcare and grading papers...:drool:

I read somewhere the POP stage show was influenced by George Clinton.

I have seen him on the Purple Rain tour in 85 and in 1994 or 95 (dont remember the name of the tour or date, he was going as "The Artist" at that stage). He is great live, but I wish he would play full versions of his songs instead of the medley thing he does. The Purple Rain show was one of the best shows I have ever seen. U2 and the Stones are the only shows I have seen that were better than that show.

I would say my favorite songs by him are "The Cross" and "Take Me With You".

lol @ the whole P-Funk thing goin on here

:hyper: :dance: MAKE SOME NOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZE :dance: :hyper:

I have learned so much by listening to the arrangement and production skills of Prince. Will you kill me when I confess that I got four times more Prince records than U2?

For the Kiss fans: check out the extended remix of seven-ish minutes, its on the single CD. And the long version of Computer Blue.. brilliant stuff.

There´s so many great records, I like the old Revolution stuff, funky albums like Lovesexy, Sign O The Times, the black album.. there are these live-recordings of Purple rain,where he really goes into it, and you see the potential of the song, like with many others that are just shortened on the Purple Rain album. Darling Nikki - the first original B song :D still a classic.. real singalong, mind you! Old love ballads like "Do Me Baby",...

Then there is a whole series of albums with the New Power Generation. Diamonds and Pearls, NPG,.. my favorite 90s album, Exodus, the Gold Experience - masterpieces, and a couple of songs on Emancipation.

ah and back to George Clinton.. hehe.. hangin out with the engineers on tour, takin a puff pass it to another while mixing Mr. Clinton performing onstage. Mothership connection. Go figure, thats 10 yrs ago. When they had put out Follow the Leader.

There´s a collaborations called We Can Funk, a song on Prince´s Graffiti Bridge album.

style is my tear in the shower

Last edited:
He's one awesome basketball player too:wink:

but really, Prince is the man, was the man, is the man

who else can change their name to a symbol and be cool enough to pull it off?

Is there a better pop tune out there than Raspberry Beret? I think not!

I think the main way to illustrate Prince's quality is 17 days which in anyone else's language would be a classic single. Not Prince though, why not just make it a b-side?!
That, and there's Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette, 1999, Sign O The Times, Housequake, Take Me With U, I Would Die 4 U, Nothing Compares 2 U, U Got The Look, etc etc

Blue Room said:

I would say my favorite songs by him are "The Cross" and "Take Me With You".

The Cross is incredible. If that hadn't been done by Prince, you'd have heard it on rock stations.

And Bob George from the Black Album is hilarious, yet disturbing at the same time.

I've said this before, but I think Prince is the most gifted musical artist in history. If you ranked people in different categories such as instumental proficiency (he plays so many), songwriting, innovation, singing, variety of style, live performance...this guy just ranks higher on average than anyone else I can think of. He's like Hendrix, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, and a few others rolled into one. Throw some Joni Mitchell (a big influence) in there for good measure.

I was privileged to see a Prince after party in Las Vegas a few years back in a small club in Vegas. It was better than the regular concert I had just seen, and 2 of the greatest hours of my life. Sheila E and Larry Graham played...just unbelievable.

I think the most essential Prince recording is Crystal Ball, because it's only when you hear what he DIDN'T bother releasing that you truly appreciate how gifted he is.

lazarus said:

I was privileged to see a Prince after party in Las Vegas a few years back in a small club in Vegas. It was better than the regular concert I had just seen, and 2 of the greatest hours of my life. Sheila E and Larry Graham played...just unbelievable.

I think the most essential Prince recording is Crystal Ball, because it's only when you hear what he DIDN'T bother releasing that you truly appreciate how gifted he is.

Sheila E is so truly gifted :up: I would like to know what she´s doing now.

Never checked out Crystal Ball.. too difficult to get, didn´t he release it only for members of the NPG club online?

i just heard the song 'controversy' for the first time the other night. how cool is that song! another influence of daft punk revealed.
yeah, prince is pro and class. he's definitely the real deal.:drool:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Sheila E is so truly gifted :up: I would like to know what she´s doing now.

Never checked out Crystal Ball.. too difficult to get, didn´t he release it only for members of the NPG club online?

It was originally only available online and at the Best Buy chain of stores in the U.S., but I think it's a lot easier to get now (and cheaper). Best bet is to get a used copy from an online place like amazon, half.com, ebay, etc. Probably be able to get it for like $20.

Also, in addition to the 3 discs of Outtakes, there's a 4th disc containing an entire new unreleased album called The Truth. There's a lot of acoustic stuff on there, and I think it's one of his greatest efforts. The first title track is all bluesy and just kills me every time.

lazarus said:

It was originally only available online and at the Best Buy chain of stores in the U.S., but I think it's a lot easier to get now (and cheaper). Best bet is to get a used copy from an online place like amazon, half.com, ebay, etc. Probably be able to get it for like $20.

Also, in addition to the 3 discs of Outtakes, there's a 4th disc containing an entire new unreleased album called The Truth. There's a lot of acoustic stuff on there, and I think it's one of his greatest efforts. The first title track is all bluesy and just kills me every time.

Cool thanks.

Hah. I´m actually programming a new song... and guess who I sample for the HORN SECTION.

Dr. Funkenstein is in my house. Killer classic samples from the undisputed heavy weight champion of funk.

One of the best feelings one can have is when you´re producing a song and slowly, slowly, it takes shape.. you carve its style out. That´s as good as sex. No kidding.

news

Prince cut a deal with UNI/ Motown a couple of days ago. New single with music video directed by Salma Hayek going on air on Dec 13th (VH1). Don´t ask me if its good or one of his average works.. haven´t heard it as of yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom