Prince - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Is there a better pop tune out there than Raspberry Beret? I think not!

I think the main way to illustrate Prince's quality is 17 days which in anyone else's language would be a classic single. Not Prince though, why not just make it a b-side?!
That, and there's Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette, 1999, Sign O The Times, Housequake, Take Me With U, I Would Die 4 U, Nothing Compares 2 U, U Got The Look, etc etc

Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

I would say my favorite songs by him are "The Cross" and "Take Me With You".
The Cross is incredible. If that hadn't been done by Prince, you'd have heard it on rock stations.

And Bob George from the Black Album is hilarious, yet disturbing at the same time.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Prince is the man. He doesn't care anymore about being main stream....he just brings the funk.

Kiss
Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 PM
I've said this before, but I think Prince is the most gifted musical artist in history. If you ranked people in different categories such as instumental proficiency (he plays so many), songwriting, innovation, singing, variety of style, live performance...this guy just ranks higher on average than anyone else I can think of. He's like Hendrix, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, and a few others rolled into one. Throw some Joni Mitchell (a big influence) in there for good measure.

I was privileged to see a Prince after party in Las Vegas a few years back in a small club in Vegas. It was better than the regular concert I had just seen, and 2 of the greatest hours of my life. Sheila E and Larry Graham played...just unbelievable.

I think the most essential Prince recording is Crystal Ball, because it's only when you hear what he DIDN'T bother releasing that you truly appreciate how gifted he is.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
And Bob George from the Black Album is hilarious, yet disturbing at the same time.
yeah... George
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

I was privileged to see a Prince after party in Las Vegas a few years back in a small club in Vegas. It was better than the regular concert I had just seen, and 2 of the greatest hours of my life. Sheila E and Larry Graham played...just unbelievable.

I think the most essential Prince recording is Crystal Ball, because it's only when you hear what he DIDN'T bother releasing that you truly appreciate how gifted he is.
Sheila E is so truly gifted I would like to know what she´s doing now.

Never checked out Crystal Ball.. too difficult to get, didn´t he release it only for members of the NPG club online?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #22
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I love that Prince is getting the love up in here. Pop Genius, perfected his style. He has reached pop/funk/soul enlightenment.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #23
Refugee

i just heard the song 'controversy' for the first time the other night. how cool is that song! another influence of daft punk revealed.
yeah, prince is pro and class. he's definitely the real deal.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Sheila E is so truly gifted I would like to know what she´s doing now.

Never checked out Crystal Ball.. too difficult to get, didn´t he release it only for members of the NPG club online?
It was originally only available online and at the Best Buy chain of stores in the U.S., but I think it's a lot easier to get now (and cheaper). Best bet is to get a used copy from an online place like amazon, half.com, ebay, etc. Probably be able to get it for like $20.

Also, in addition to the 3 discs of Outtakes, there's a 4th disc containing an entire new unreleased album called The Truth. There's a lot of acoustic stuff on there, and I think it's one of his greatest efforts. The first title track is all bluesy and just kills me every time.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
i saw him live last year. wow, what a performer. the man is crazy-talented.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh, and Hindu Love Gods' cover of Raspberry Beret is amazing, too. (Warren Zevon backed by REM) Check it out. Yeah.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

It was originally only available online and at the Best Buy chain of stores in the U.S., but I think it's a lot easier to get now (and cheaper). Best bet is to get a used copy from an online place like amazon, half.com, ebay, etc. Probably be able to get it for like $20.

Also, in addition to the 3 discs of Outtakes, there's a 4th disc containing an entire new unreleased album called The Truth. There's a lot of acoustic stuff on there, and I think it's one of his greatest efforts. The first title track is all bluesy and just kills me every time.

Cool thanks.

Hah. I´m actually programming a new song... and guess who I sample for the HORN SECTION.

Dr. Funkenstein is in my house. Killer classic samples from the undisputed heavy weight champion of funk.

One of the best feelings one can have is when you´re producing a song and slowly, slowly, it takes shape.. you carve its style out. That´s as good as sex. No kidding.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:56 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

news

Prince cut a deal with UNI/ Motown a couple of days ago. New single with music video directed by Salma Hayek going on air on Dec 13th (VH1). Don´t ask me if its good or one of his average works.. haven´t heard it as of yet.