Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Superthread - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 AM
I must see this photo, by the way.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #767
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

I thought Zoo TV probably wasn't going to come here at all? Paul McGuinness said something like that in 92, at least.

Even though we got a pretty raw end of the deal and they came in 93 when Bono was fat and tired, I'm still glad they came rather than 92, if only for the Zooropa goodness.
Yeah, I believe there were originally some plans about how U2 were very seriously looking at coming here in late 1992, then gave it the flick, hence McGuinness's comments. Thank fuck for Zooropa. As tired as the band were, I think Dirty Day made up for that.

Quote:
Not that it affected me at all since I was only about a thousand days old.
Wait, are you younger than me? I for some reason had the impression you were a year or two older. I'm 21.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #768
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
No matter how marvellous Melbourne may be, it was still founded by descendants of convicts, unlike SA which, like your beloved NZ, is the product of fine upperclass ladies and gentlemen.

...and don't forget the Germans, with their most excellent beverages
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #769
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by mandy1973

S#$% you're making me feel old!!! ZOOTV wasn't even my first U2 show! Tho, I was glad they made it here for it - it's the only show that I managed to get pretty much front row for
Yes, yes, we're all terribly jealous of people like you, TranceEnding, and blueeyedgirl who saw Lovetown. Especially me. I've already proposed that if we can't get the time machine working, I'd like to at least copy someone's memories of Lovetown into my brain so that I THINK I saw it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #770
Blue Crack Addict

I'm 19. I'm glad that I gave you that impression - I'm surprised I get that in the flesh too, since I don't see myself as acting especially mature.

Quote:
I think Dirty Day made up for that.
Oh HELL YES. Any chance of it coming back, you think?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #771
Refugee

Quote:
I must see this photo, by the way.

It was in The Advertiser, sadly I didn't think to take a copy, and strangely, she didn't either!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #772
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
NSW's first U2 concert = NSW's first concert of any variety:

May 15th, 1987

That is all.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #773
Vocal parasite

Quote:
No matter how marvellous Melbourne may be, it was still founded by descendants of convicts, unlike SA which, like your beloved NZ, is the product of fine upperclass ladies and gentlemen.
Descendents of convicts? Melbourne was a free settlement too! Wait, why am I defending anywhere in Australia from a convict reputation? When you all federated, you bought into a collective heritage that includes being founded as a convict colony. New Zealand's got none of that. The land of the long white cloud for the huge fucking WIN!

Actually, I think it's funny we slag off Australia rather than the US for having a convict heritage. The US had 150 years of being used for convicts, while Australia lasted only 75 years. I believe the state of Georgia in particular was founded on the basis of being a convict colony.

Might explain why it's a shithole too.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
...and don't forget the Germans, with their most excellent beverages
Hahndorf ftw! My dad grew up there, before it was full of tourist traps.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #775
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yes, yes, we're all terribly jealous of people like you, TranceEnding, and blueeyedgirl who saw Lovetown. Especially me. I've already proposed that if we can't get the time machine working, I'd like to at least copy someone's memories of Lovetown into my brain so that I THINK I saw it.

I guess it's about the only advantage of being old LOL. I must say that it was a very very memorable night- still no other concert has ever quite matched it for me - Vertigo came close, but not quite.

Not sure how wonderful my memories would be to get implanted in your brain tho - i was about 20 rows back in GA - surely there's someone about who was closer than me!!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #776
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
My memories of that May 15th show are still very vivid, thankfully. Amazing show, amazing night, will never forget it.

That is all.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It was in The Advertiser, sadly I didn't think to take a copy, and strangely, she didn't either!!!
Strangely? I have a feeling she did that on purpose.

Quote:
Actually, I think it's funny we slag off Australia rather than the US for having a convict heritage. The US had 150 years of being used for convicts, while Australia lasted only 75 years. I believe the state of Georgia in particular was founded on the basis of being a convict colony.
There are still a few of us civilized South Australians that have taken in as little of the culture that has surrounded us as possible, and much prefer to read P.G. Wodehouse rather than Strauchnie and listen to Mel Torme rather than Chisel.

Interesting with Melbourne's history though, I thought it was a little more upper class than the rest of that mess in the east, but thanks for confirming it.

Let's just all make fun of the states now, okay?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #778
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'm 19. I'm glad that I gave you that impression - I'm surprised I get that in the flesh too, since I don't see myself as acting especially mature.

I had it in my head you were about 23. As for me, back in grade 12, my best friend referred to me as "a 47 year old stuck in a 17 year old's body" because I'd sit around and read Dante's Divine Comedy or Anton Chekhov plays during lunch rather than doing ... whatever stupid shit everybody else was doing.

Quote:
Oh HELL YES. Any chance of it coming back, you think?
I'll keep praying that my cynical response of "not bloody likely" is totally wrong.

And you know how I feel about religion and prayer and all that God stuff. That's how much I want that song to come back.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #779
Refugee

Quote:

Hahndorf ftw! My dad grew up there, before it was full of tourist traps.

Oh, I just love Hahndorf - I've spent many a drunken night at the German Arms
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #780
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
My memories of that May 15th show are still very vivid, thankfully. Amazing show, amazing night, will never forget it.

That is all.
Yes, with your Trip x2. Owned.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread