Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Superthread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #406
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:46 AM
I've now updated all the clocks in my room for Daylight Savings Time changes.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #407
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

MW live solo....

I am SO GLAD they did that in Melbourne. And that I was right on Edge's b-stage....
Heh, by that point, I was sick of hearing MW live but still really fucking glad that they'd put it in between The Fly and WOWY to break up that disjointed transition.

Quote:
*wonders what people mean by having "space" and "breathing" on an album*
Next time we catch up, I'll get out my iPod and play a couple of tracks for you to try to illustrate what I mean. I can probably find some good examples with the Split Enz remasters.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

The RAH or Axtung Beibi one? I don't actually have the RAH one, believe it or not (well, I have the Out-takes DVD, but never play it), and I don't listen to the Axtung Beibi one. I think Axtung Beibi is only worth it for Where Did It All Go Wrong?, early Acrobat, I Feel Free, Take You Down, and Backmask U2.
Axtung Beibi. It is possible that Wake Up Dead Man became a song in the form of She's Gonna Blow Your House Down during Zooropa.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #409
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

But I'm not talking about from our standpoint: I'm saying in their view.
I suspect they don't view MW as finished. They've never deviated from the altered live version. And WTF was with altering one line on the Best Of!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #410
Blue Crack Addict

aw FUCK i forgot about the stupid hour thing. damn it.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #411
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
The songs flow free of any sort of constraint. Like With Or Without You for example comes and goes without being forced. That's what people mean.
I get that in theory... how does the forcedness and constraint manifest on Pop, do you think?

I mean, I suppose I would describe Pop as a more claustrophobic record than JT, but I always considered that as just another part of the whole album, along with the drum machines and whatever else... ?

*is confusing self*
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #412
Vocal parasite

I wonder when we're going off daylight savings here ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #413
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I've now updated all the clocks in my room for Daylight Savings Time changes.
Aah, so that's why my time settings were out all of a sudden.

I didn't think that changes in America's standard time would affect my settings? I mean, +11 GMT is +11 GMT, no matter what time it is in Albuquerque, right?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #414
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Next time we catch up, I'll get out my iPod and play a couple of tracks for you to try to illustrate what I mean. I can probably find some good examples with the Split Enz remasters.
ooh tell me.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

I get that in theory... how does the forcedness and constraint manifest on Pop, do you think?

I mean, I suppose I would describe Pop as a more claustrophobic record than JT, but I always considered that as just another part of the whole album, along with the drum machines and whatever else... ?

*is confusing self*
It only happens on a couple tracks. Pop is pretty good at giving song air but Please for instance feels very rushed and the tempo seems to be off. If the band stretched it out like they did for Popmart. They would have made the song have room to breathe. That's what I mean.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #416
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Heh, by that point, I was sick of hearing MW live but still really fucking glad that they'd put it in between The Fly and WOWY to break up that disjointed transition.
I don't think I would EVER get sick of hearing that.

Quote:

Cool
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #417
Vocal parasite

Quote:

*is confusing self*
I think there's a difference between going for a claustrophobic sound and having the music sound constrained and stifled. A claustrophobic sound is more about the impression and atmosphere created for the listener than about how the instruments are mixed together.

I feel a lot of songs unable to breathe sound duller. The sound isn't quite there. I just found the perfect example, Cynic's How Could I? It's jazz-fusion influenced tech death metal, but it proves my point entirely. The 2004 remix slays the 1993 version and it's very distinctly obvious. These sorts of things are much better demonstrated than written about.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #418
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I suspect they don't view MW as finished. They've never deviated from the altered live version. And WTF was with altering one line on the Best Of!
....??
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #419
Blue Crack Addict

i'm watching fawlty waldorf salad
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #420
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Aah, so that's why my time settings were out all of a sudden.

I didn't think that changes in America's standard time would affect my settings? I mean, +11 GMT is +11 GMT, no matter what time it is in Albuquerque, right?
Oh wow, we're back on the right time! I HATE Interference's clock. Whoever programmed it is an Americentric dick who thinks the rest of the world changes DST when the US does. So we're almost always an hour off, either ahead or behind. Only for those brief periods when both we and the US have DST or don't have it do we have the correct time.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread