Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KhanadaRhodes said:

i know! it's like when people think crowded house's biggest hit is called "hey now, hey now" :rolleyes:

That just cracks me up. Yeah, like they'd use that as a title.

Though it's like people who talk about "In The Name Of Love" or "It's A Beautiful Day". :|

Alisaura said:

Yep... can't remember who gave it to me, but I do have it. :up:

Cool. Just sending Treasure and SSIKC your way now.

Axver said:

That just cracks me up. Yeah, like they'd use that as a title.

Though it's like people who talk about "In The Name Of Love" or "It's A Beautiful Day". :|

Bruce Springsteen in the Hall of Fame speech: "Larry and Adam provide greatly for the rhythm in songs like 'With or Without You' and 'She Moves in Mysterious Ways.'" :wink:

Alisaura said:

I've never understood the production thing... I guess I don't understand enough about how the studio works, and what good production sounds like compared to bad production. All I know is that some of my CDs sound way quieter than others, when the volume settings on the CD player are the same... :shrug:

I'm not really sure I want to burst that naive bubble, really. I quite enjoy listening to Pop.

I think part of it has to do with being exposed to really well produced stuff for extended periods. I originally didn't hear how shit COBL was. Then I got right into some really well produced music and I find COBL unlistenable now. It is sometimes a matter of what you're used to, and sometimes a matter of how sensitive your hearing is.

Also, I don't think Pop is nearly as bad as Achtung, ATYCLB, or especially HTDAAB. Sure, IGWSHA sounds like absolute shit, but something like WUDM is pretty good really.

phillyfan26 said:
Bruce Springsteen in the Hall of Fame speech: "Larry and Adam provide greatly for the rhythm in songs like 'With or Without You' and 'She Moves in Mysterious Ways.'" :wink:
:lol:
Research, Bruce....

Video is 90% uploaded!

Axver said:

I think part of it has to do with being exposed to really well produced stuff for extended periods. I originally didn't hear how shit COBL was. Then I got right into some really well produced music and I find COBL unlistenable now. It is sometimes a matter of what you're used to, and sometimes a matter of how sensitive your hearing is.

Also, I don't think Pop is nearly as bad as Achtung, ATYCLB, or especially HTDAAB. Sure, IGWSHA sounds like absolute shit, but something like WUDM is pretty good really.

It helps to have live versions as references.

Pop was more an unfinished song thing than a production thing.

SATS, DYFL, WUDM, LNOE are all very good in the studio.

KhanadaRhodes said:

time to fix your location, buddy.

I reckon his location should be "on an Auckland train to Sydney", and his user title changed to "Red Smack Provider".

mysterious_jen said:
k guys im off, backlater, oh joy , drinks o'clock soon ! yehhhhaaaaa

Have a good one, Jen! :wave:

Farewell to Now Saving Whalers too. :wave:

phillyfan26 said:

Yeah, quoted for truth. Though I have to wonder how badly unfinished it was, and how much of that is revisionist hype in light of the band tweaking it for the live arena. I mean, you could say JT, RAH, and Achtung were similarly unfinished song-wise by the Pop logic. Just look at WUDM. They clearly spent SHITLOADS of time on that. It is easily one of the best produced U2 songs in history, with all of its layers.

Basically, given another six months, do we really think Pop would've been seriously transformed? I don't.

phillyfan26 said:

I've just seen some people on here bashing the shit out of the production on Pop, although it's not hard to find people here to bash the shit out of any aspect of any album :shrug:

I guess I just don't know what to listen for... what are some bands/albums with exceptional production?

All I tend to notice is if/when it's hard for me to make out a bassline I'm trying to learn. :lol: :reject:

Axver said:

Yeah, quoted for truth. Though I have to wonder how badly unfinished it was, and how much of that is revisionist hype in light of the band tweaking it for the live arena. I mean, you could say JT, RAH, and Achtung were similarly unfinished song-wise by the Pop logic. Just look at WUDM. They clearly spent SHITLOADS of time on that. It is easily one of the best produced U2 songs in history, with all of its layers.

Basically, given another six months, do we really think Pop would've been seriously transformed? I don't.

I think you can tell the difference in many cases. Songs like Mysterious Ways were clearly done and then added on to. Then you have songs like UTEOTW that they just fucked up. Then there's Please, which could have definitely been improved over time.

Axver said:

I completely agree. It is about finishing a song. Pop just needs better songs and more complete songs. That means give them length and room to breathe. Many of the songs weren't there. That comes down to planning out a group of songs early on to focus on as a long peice. U2 shortens things way too often. Let it breathe.

Alisaura said:

I've just seen some people on here bashing the shit out of the production on Pop, although it's not hard to find people here to bash the shit out of any aspect of any album :shrug:

I guess I just don't know what to listen for... what are some bands/albums with exceptional production?

All I tend to notice is if/when it's hard for me to make out a bassline I'm trying to learn. :lol: :reject:

I don't know how better production's meant to save the fact that The Playboy Mansion goes nowhere. My biggest production issue is IYWTVD, which is not done justice.

Any Porcupine Tree album is well-produced. Steven Wilson has a good ear and he normally gets in a second person as well. I would suggest Opeth's Blackwater Park, as that was produced by Steven Wilson and it sounds PHENOMENAL, but it's death metal, so ...

Also, all of the recent Split Enz reissues sound AMAZING. Holy shit. Frenzy sounds like a completely new album. Eddie Rayner did an incredible job with that.

Axver said:
Just look at WUDM. They clearly spent SHITLOADS of time on that. It is easily one of the best produced U2 songs in history, with all of its layers.
I am very curious about how much WUDM may (or may not) have changed since it was first conceived (was it around before the Zooropa sessions?)... I think it would almost have fit on Zooropa, with the samples and all, but thematically it goes much better at the ragged end of the journey that started with AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom