Preliminary Discussion for namkcuR's next Best Song Survivor - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which one?
Radiohead 16 51.61%
Led Zeppelin 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
With R.E.M., there's just no way in hell anything after Automatic is going to come close to winning the thing. It makes it a little less exciting.
While this is true it's pretty much the same as the Beatles when you think about it. It really was only a question of 2 or 3 songs that we're going to win...

Part of the fun I had was seeing how the songs were rated per album and not so much the final draws because I found them pretty predictable...

Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Personally, I've always seen R.E.M. as more of a singles band anyway, as opposed to an 'albums' band. I think, generally speaking, a lot of Interference is far more familiar with certain REM songs than they are with actual albums.

Radiohead is leading 16-12 now.

I feel comfortable in saying that it's going to be Radiohead this time out.

I'd also like to mention that I heard the commentary during the Beatles Survivor about great songs from great records getting the shaft while lesser songs from Beatles For Sale(for example) make it to the final draw. I've come up with a modified system...a 'weighting' system, if you will - that attempts to at least somewhat remedy this. I will explain it in detail later, but the gist of it is basically this:

We first run a one-draw survivor on a draw with all 7 LPs in it to establish Interference's consensus ranking of the LPs. Based on this ranking, the top 3 LPs will get 3 representatives each in the final draw, the next 3 LPs will get 2 representatives each in the final draw, and the 7th LP(which as sure as the sky is blue will be Pablo Honey) will get one representative in the final draw. This way, Interference's favorite RH LPs will be more heavily represented in the final draw than RH's least favorite RH LP. I would hope this would make for more accurate results in the end. The b-sides will also be part of the weighting system, but I'll explain that later, as it's a tad more complex. I'll explain all of it in more detail when I make the intro thread(don't know when that will be exactly).

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

While this is true it's pretty much the same as the Beatles when you think about it. It really was only a question of 2 or 3 songs that we're going to win...

Part of the fun I had was seeing how the songs were rated per album and not so much the final draws because I found them pretty predictable...
This is exactly the opposite of the point I was trying to make. It was NOT obvious. If I had to guess from the outset what would have won it would have been Hey Jude. Or Yesterday. Or Let It Be. Neither of those three were even the second runner-up. I also would not have predicted Here Comes the Sun finishing in the Top 3.

What I was saying is that a fairly maligned album like Let It Be still had two solid contenders on it. Revolver is considered one of the greatest albums ever and has many weapons. Rubber Soul has a few pretty esteemed tracks on it. Abbey Road is another one with a few songs that could contend in any competition. Past Master has Jude and Revolution. And of course MMT and Sgt. Pepper's contributed the two finalists, and had several others on each album that could have made a run at it.

That's 7 albums that the winner could have come from. The reason I'd suggest doing a Radiohead Survivor over R.E.M. is that at least 5 of their 7 albums could contain the winner (forget about Pablo, and Rainbows might be too new to contend). With R.E.M., you're basically looking at a winner coming from Document, Out of Time, or Automatic (I'd put money on this), and because of this I don't see it as being as much fun. There will be too many casual R.E.M. fans that will dilute the point of the whole thing by only voting for the radio songs, and your winner will either be Losing My Religion or Everybody Hurts. By contrast, the Radiohead poll will be more pure, as most of the fans are BIG fans and know all, or most of, the material.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
There will be too many casual R.E.M. fans that will dilute the point of the whole thing by only voting for the radio songs, and your winner will either be Losing My Religion or Everybody Hurts.
That's a good point. I'd rather shoot myself in the kneecap than see Everybody Hurts win.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #80
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

On this forum, Radiohead would probably draw as many votes as Zep would, but, honestly, who here actually owns Queen's Hot Space or REM's Fables Of The Reconstruction? For every busy draw, there would be one with just a handful of votes.
I'm surprised you mention Fables, as I think that's quite clearly the best album REM ever released (out of those I've heard, anyway) and I'm surprised it's apparently not well-known. It's the only REM album I ever listen to in full. Otherwise, I agree they're generally better for singles than albums.

I'd definitely enjoy an REM Survivor though, as it would give me a good reason to check out the albums I don't know. I currently only have about half, maybe two thirds of their discography.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Life's Rich Pageant FTMFW.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Life's Rich Pageant FTMFW.
I'm surprised you didn't say Up.

But anyway LRP is consistently excellent from beginning to end!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I'm surprised you mention Fables, as I think that's quite clearly the best album REM ever released (out of those I've heard, anyway) and I'm surprised it's apparently not well-known.
It's well-known among REM fans (at least those who are fans of REM beyond the obvious big hits), but that's about it.

There were no big hits off it ... which isn't surprising, since it came out in 1985, well before they had any real radio play outside of college radio. I think "Can't Get There From Here" was the only single released, at least the only one that had a proper video. And a weird one at that.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

I think Driver 8 was a single as well, but yeah, one of their least recognized albums.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh duh, Driver 8! I'm so embarrassed I forgot one of the best songs on the album.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Tragically Hip Survivor
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Tragically Who?

I do know the name.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

So ... we'd have a couple of Canadians participating.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Oh duh, Driver 8! I'm so embarrassed I forgot one of the best songs on the album.
And you call yourself an R.E.M. fan...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

It's well-known among REM fans (at least those who are fans of REM beyond the obvious big hits), but that's about it.

There were no big hits off it ... which isn't surprising, since it came out in 1985, well before they had any real radio play outside of college radio. I think "Can't Get There From Here" was the only single released, at least the only one that had a proper video. And a weird one at that.
I love the first seven songs of Fables. A lot. But every time I try to listen to the whole thing, I get stuck somewhere around Auctioneer or Good Advices. I can't even tell you how those last three songs go, and I know every other R.E.M. track practically by heart through Up.

This is not a good thing.

Also, apparently Driver 8 was also released as a single, and in the UK, so was Wendell Gee, a fact I'm trying really hard to get my brain to process.