Prediction: King Kong to eventually beat Titanic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
I'm routing for Kong...couldn't stand Titanic. Kong's got ALL the ingrediants to eventually beat Titanic for the all time box office record. My parents (mid 70's) want to see it - my nephew (13) and all of his friends want to see it...and then there's ALL the Lord Of The Rings fans. The only thing I can see getting in the way is that nowadays the DVD's get released so soon. Way earlier than when Titanic was "King". Here's hoping that monsterous gorilla kicks James Cameron's pale white ass.

:hmm:

I think that prediction is a bit of a stretch. I have no doubt that Kong is going to do well, but I think $400 million domestically is probably more realistic.

Oh, by the way, this should be in Zoo Station. :wave:

this is zoo station, isn't it? or maybe i've had too much of that cabinet savage nun wine. anyway, i'm lookin forward to the kong. titanic blew, so to speak. or at least the sappy story did anyway...and what about that gosh dang celine dion? that crap is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. the effects were certainly first rate. although, i do think mr. jackson raises the bar.

Last edited:
Titanic only made $28.6 million its first weekend.

$9.8 million isn't bad for a Wednesday, considering school isn't out for vacation yet, and as Mrs S. indicated in the other thread, the weather wasn't the greatest in certain parts of the country.

Expect a really good weekend, though.

Should hit about seventy million at the end of the weekend........I think a lot of people are worried it might suck (which it doesn't) and word of mouth will at least get it above $250 million stateside.

I hope it doesn't beat Titanic. That was a very well made film, which gets unneccessarily bashed because A)It is considered a 'chick flick' by many and B)people are sick of 'My Heart Will Go On'.

I'm going tomorrow to see Kong. I'll contribute my $8.25. :wink:

But seriously, this film looks remarkable, and I can't wait to see it. I hope it does as well as everyone is expecting it to.

From a movie-making perspective, this film has it all but its length is a turn-off for some. I can't wait to see it, Jackson has proven himself to quite the film visionary.

namkcuR said:
I hope it doesn't beat Titanic. That was a very well made film, which gets unneccessarily bashed because A)It is considered a 'chick flick' by many and B)people are sick of 'My Heart Will Go On'.

Just out of curiousity, but why would you care if King Kong eventually grossed more than Titanic (which I doubt it will)? Both are well made films (I'm going by reviews for King Kong, since I haven't seen it yet), and appear to appeal to both men and women.

A $50 million weekend for King Kong. Not mind-blowing, of course, but still good, and with the Christmas vacation upcoming, it should stay strong.

Although I'm not sure it will even hit $400 million now. $300 million might be a closer mark.

No. Way. In. Hell.

Kong does not have: Leonardo DiCaprio, which teenage girls paid again, and again, and again to drool over. It also does not have a totally cheesy hit song and soundtrack that haunt the top of the charts for months, inspiring people to go see the film again.

There's just no way.

phanan said:

Just out of curiousity, but why would you care if King Kong eventually grossed more than Titanic (which I doubt it will)? Both are well made films (I'm going by reviews for King Kong, since I haven't seen it yet), and appear to appeal to both men and women.

The honest answer to your question is this: I was only 13 when Titanic came out. The hype before, during, after, and around Titanic was incredible. I had never seen a movie be so incredibly BIG while it was STILL IN THEATERS, before, and I haven't seen any movie be that big since. I feel like, when that movie was new, the enormity of the public reaction to it made it into more than a cinematic event. It made it into a cultural event, and eventually into a historic event, as it is the current number one grossing film ever. I think before it, it was either Jurassic Park or the first original Star Wars. I wasn't born for Star Wars and I wasn't old enough to really understand Jurassic Park when it was new. But I saw Titanic in theaters. So, I feel like I was part of something big because I saw the movie in a theater right when all the hype and buzz was happening. I want to be able to tell my kids(when I have them in the future, sure as hell don't have any now) that I was there for it. I won't be able to say that if King Kong surpasses Titanic because I have no plans to see it in theaters. It just doesn't interest me that much. And honestly, the hype surrounding King Kong is NOTHING compared to what happened when Titanic came out. It just isn't even close. You couldn't watch TV, listen to the radio, go to the mall, whatever, without seeing or hearing something about Titanic. Even without the hype, I just don't think a gazillion dollar remake of a film about a giant ape could be deserving of a spot in history next to such cinematic landmarks as Star Wars and Jurassic Park. I think Titanic is more deserving of it than King Kong.

And 'My Heart Will Go On' isn't really that bad.

I honestly thought Titanic was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for him to die and it took forever for the bloody thing to sink.

It was the worst kind of SCHLOCK one could be subjected to. Absolutely terrible. And it's not revisionist history for me - I refused to go see it in the theatres, only caught it later on, forcibly I might add.

anitram said:

I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for him to die and it took forever for the bloody thing to sink.

The ironic thing is that recent news just came out that the Titanic sank much quicker than originally thought.

If only we'd known that before - then the movie would have only been two hours!

:D

namkcuR said:

The honest answer to your question is this: I was only 13 when Titanic came out. The hype before, during, after, and around Titanic was incredible. I had never seen a movie be so incredibly BIG while it was STILL IN THEATERS, before, and I haven't seen any movie be that big since. I feel like, when that movie was new, the enormity of the public reaction to it made it into more than a cinematic event. It made it into a cultural event, and eventually into a historic event, as it is the current number one grossing film ever. I think before it, it was either Jurassic Park or the first original Star Wars. I wasn't born for Star Wars and I wasn't old enough to really understand Jurassic Park when it was new. But I saw Titanic in theaters. So, I feel like I was part of something big because I saw the movie in a theater right when all the hype and buzz was happening. I want to be able to tell my kids(when I have them in the future, sure as hell don't have any now) that I was there for it. I won't be able to say that if King Kong surpasses Titanic because I have no plans to see it in theaters. It just doesn't interest me that much. And honestly, the hype surrounding King Kong is NOTHING compared to what happened when Titanic came out. It just isn't even close. You couldn't watch TV, listen to the radio, go to the mall, whatever, without seeing or hearing something about Titanic. Even without the hype, I just don't think a gazillion dollar remake of a film about a giant ape could be deserving of a spot in history next to such cinematic landmarks as Star Wars and Jurassic Park. I think Titanic is more deserving of it than King Kong.

And 'My Heart Will Go On' isn't really that bad.

I can appreciate that, seeing as the original Star Wars was what I went through as a kid, although I don't hold Titanic in the same regard personally.

Back
Top Bottom