Preakness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent. *points to avatar* ;)
Surprised theres not much talk about this.. I guess because there's no triple crown on the line. What a shame, because this was truly an amazing race.

Thank God Alex only sustained a scratch. Nothing more. He should be ok for the Belmont.

Final time: 1:55.04. Faster than Smarty Jones' and it probably would have been faster if not for the fall.

Last edited:
It's too bad there's so much emphasis on the Triple Crown. I was horrified watching that fall and then to see him come back and win so easily. What a horse. I think I fell in love.

Yes, it is a shame. People miss out on great things like this race. I've loved this horse since I saw his heart and determination as a 2-year-old and watching him redeem himself in a big way after the Derby makes me so happy you would not believe.

I'm a dilettante when it comes to horseracing. I admit I only watch during the Triple Crown races. But this horse captured me. Can you give me some history? (Also, dumb question, what do four year olds do?)

I have never been in a Triple Crown City when a race was going on. It was pretty exciting in Baltimore this weekend.

I was amazed that Alex was able to pull of the victory after almost falling like that.

What type of history are you looking for? History on racing? Because I wouldn't know where to start. Or history on the horse?

Afleet Alex's Dam (mother) was unable to produce milk so the breeders had to feed him milk from a beer bottle when he was a baby. He was sent to auction when he was 2 where he was purchased for $75, 000, which is a bargain for a horse like this. He won 4 straight races as a 2 year old (when horses generally start racing). In one of them, the Sanford, he broke a 32 -year-old record that was set by the great Secretariat.

He lost his last 2 races of last year, but by very slim margins, and placed 2nd in both. He won his first race for this year, then lost the next, coming in dead last, but only because he came down with a lung infection. He came back full force in his next start winning by 9 lengths. Then it was off to the derby, which I'm sure you know how it went. This is a hard trying horse, and when he loses, its not by much.

His trainer keeps this horse very fit, jogging and galloping him 5 miles almost everyday. This is more than most trainers do. I feel this is what saved Alex from getting injured in the Preakness.
That, and the fact that he is very well balanced.

As to your question about 4 year olds, they can still race.
There really arent any specially designed races for 4-year-olds.
Usually they'll be in races for 3 year olds and up.

And thank you (about the pic).:wink:

I just got an Afleet Alex T-shirt. Am I becoming a horse groupie?:huh:

Back
Top Bottom