Praise the South. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 09-15-2002, 10:21 PM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 08:25 PM
I think Kansas City could give the south a run for it's money on barbeque. Anyone who has been to Gates or Arthur Bryant's in KC knows what I mean.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:45 AM   #17
Jesus Online
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Ok, what the hell are grits? And biscuits and gravy? What I am imagining cannot be right!
I'm also surprised by the barbeque one too. You mean as cooking method? Cos thats older than any civilised culture can claim credit for surely!

Old 09-16-2002, 03:39 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Re: Praise the South.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Indeed, the southeastern quarter of the United States (more commonly known as "The South") has had its share of problems, most notably race relations - the evil institution of slavery and its bastard child of forced segregation.

THAT SAID, there are some truly great things about my home, The South. Since I've spent the last year in Pittsburgh, since I have another year of grad school ahead of me, and since I just cooked myself a brilliant Southern dinner, I thought it a good time to praise the South.

In this post, I will bring all y'all's attention to the food.

I believe that Southern food not only holds its own against the rest of the world, but that - in its finest moments - it is possibly the best food on the planet.

I'm part-Italian; my grandfather was conceived in Italy and born here in the good ol' U.S. of A. Without question, I certainly embrace my grandfather's Italian heritage and cuisine. I am now the fourth generation to have learned his mother's recipe for marinara - a recipe that I will keep a family secret and pass on to my children; a recipe that has spoiled me for all time, so that I can't stomach that Ragu crapola; a recipe SO GOOD, you can eat the sauce cold and by itself.

I've begun to take a liking to Indian food (chicken vindaloo - yum), and I like Greek, Mexican, and a little Oriental food. But just LOOK at what we Southerners have wrought:

- Creole / Cajun food
- chile
- barbecue
- fried chicken
- fried turkey (yes, deep-fat fried turkey)
- cornbread
- boiled peanuts (pronounced "bolled peanuts")

My marinara recipe aside, Southern food kicks ass.

I know a mean chile recipe (another family secret), and my mom's recently taught me her mother's trick in cooking pecan pie. But tonight? Tonight I broke the pattern of microwave dinners and scavenging for whatever I can find and cooked an honest-to-God meal:

Sausage jambalaya with cornbread.

Granted, I cooked both from store-bought mixes, but they turned out QUITE well.

The jambalya mix I used is Zatarain's New Orleans style mix. These guys have been based in New Orleans for over a century, and they know what they're doing. I added in the variation 8 oz. of plain tomato sauce, and I took heed of this suggestion:

Use chicken or seafood for mild Jambalaya. Use smoked sausage for spicier, stronger flavored Jambalaya.

I wanted spicy, so I used smoked sausage - "Hot Links" with red chili peppers. That'll put hair on your chest.

I could have ALSO cooked "Mexican cornbread" (with Jalapeno), but I'm not that damn stupid. I cooked the plain cornbread in my great-grandmother's cast-iron skillet - I have more inexplicable success with that skillet - and I've figured out how to get the cornbread out: if you just undercook it, one hard jostly should loosen the whole bread. Flip it onto a plate, flip it right-side-up, and voila.

A bowl of jambalaya, a couple wedges of cornbread, a glass of milk (or two), and Willie Nelson in the background.

Lovely - and I recommend everyone give Southern food a try.

Finally a great thread about food. Me loves the South. Especially for New Orleans (this is referred to as the South, isnīt it?), and for Houston (Note: I loved the Space Center)... ok, lets get back to the food.

I have been with an italian girl for quite some time... she taught me how to eat... the italian kitchen is simply wonderful. I love the South East Asian kitchen too (Saté in Bangkok, I will always remember,... I was fourteen...), they got great kinds of spices and are not as hot as f.e. Indian food.

But the italian kitchen is soooo good. I learned cooking, first from my mother, and then I got those instructions by an italian grandmama... oh, if anyone knows how to prepare a lasagne, thats me. Donīt forget carrots for the Sugo, and this Bechamel sauce, and a little of moscato on top.

My life is centered around pasta sometimes... alll kinds of pasta. The food I love best, though, is fresh fish, which is difficult to do and expensive if you arenīt living at the sea. If I think back to the wonderful plates I had this summer... I had a lasagne with pesto in a restaurant, boah this was so delicate. Then I took mussels, filled with a wonderful bread-egg-something mix. I was ok, but I wanted another lasagne, because it kind of melted on my tongue, and I am used to big plates... so I went into the kitchen, had a talk with the cook (all the program, from saying thx over smelling what she had cooked etc.) and - voila! - there came my second plate of lasagne. The cook, an old italian woman, was so delighted, they didnīt charge me this plate.

Sometimes I am lucky.

I think South food is fabulous. I am getting hungry. I want a turkey now

I have heard of some Gumbo... lemme try Gumbo sometime
Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 AM   #19
New Yorker
Local Time: 03:25 PM

AH, here are biscuits and gravy.

I couldn't find a good pic of grits tho.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:56 AM   #20
New Yorker
Local Time: 03:25 PM

Oh and the boiled peanuts must be a southEAST thing, because I am from Texas and I have never heard of them.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:13 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:25 PM

Even though I am a mil brat, this is where I claim. Bossier/Shreveport. I was home for the crawfish fest. soooo good. I am going home again from my birthday this week/weekend. I will be sure to indulge in enough trad. food for everyone.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 AM   #22
The Flower
Local Time: 12:25 PM
When I was in beautiful Bristow, OK, my step-momma made biscuits and gravy with a brand of sausage that we can't get in California...if I could remember what it was, I'd buy it by the case.

If I could, I would fly back to Oklahoma just to have her make me breakfast

Oh yeah, I forgot about the fried catfish and hushpuppies, the jambalaya, the ribs from the smoker next door...

Damn, those OK women (and men) can cook.