Power Outage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm out in Babylon, Long Island....just got it back at 5:30 this mornin..

*runnin for the A/C's*

Aw...now I haveta go to work....

zonelistener said:
Other speculations:

"Officials were looking at a power transmission problem from Canada as the most likely cause, said a spokeswoman for New York Gov. George Pataki."

ah yes....
BLAME CANADA:angry:

I consider this a preemptive strike against my country!!!!...Time to invade.

hey....we have a republican from texas in the white house...dont' think it can't happen.

*flashbacks to canadian bacon*

my work is still without power... 3 day weekend! woo hoo!

i got power at home out on long island at like 4 in the morning...

if you don't know...

bono1.jpg

ELECTRIC CO!!!

Last edited:
IT WASN'T US!! IT WAS NEW YORK! DON'T BLAME CANADA!

(For once, we had nothing to do with it).

My power came back on at 3:30am, luckily, although there are still stoplights out everywhere. I know much of T.O. is still out. The province has declared a state of emergency and only essential services are open: gas (prices are sky high), food, etc.

Unfortunatly, the hospital where I work has suddenly decided that the student presentations are 'essential' and I have to drive the hour and a half down there (no train, no subway) so I can do a five minute presentation. AGGH!

Glad everyone is okay. I feel terrible for the poor people out in elevators or subways who were stranded. that must have been terrible (I'd be claustrophobic).

actually it was undoubtedly an ontario thing. Both explanantions the ONtario premiere ( if in fact that's what he's called) have beeen proven false.

Invasion is still on....I was thinking sometime after lunch tomorrow. Eat light....we can't have ppl falling asleep as we take toronto!

random power outage observation:

if they're telling people to not to turn on the a/c, conserve power, until everything returns back to normal, etc...

why are all the big flashy lights on at Times Square? :shifty: :scratch: :der:

No, no, its violating our French language laws

Arun V said:

I consider this a preemptive strike against my country!!!!...Time to invade.

hey....we have a republican from texas in the white house...dont' think it can't happen.

*flashbacks to canadian bacon*

Heh, I love that movie :D

My power came back on around three am-ish... Actually, by my watch, I think it was 2:34:36... I would have been uber impressed if it was 2:34:56.

I think I liked the world better when there wasnt power. Ya know, people not focused on business, people keeping an eye out for one another, people taking time to enjoy wholesome things or get off their asses and do something themselves instead of having a machine do it for them. If not for the fact that it would cripple the economy to have the power remain out for weeks, I would have liked to see it happen, just so that people wouldnt be driving cars all the time, or sitting in front of the tv getting all sorts of worthless information from CNN and such. However, it was not to be. Alas, alack.

Power outage stupidity:

I work for an airline that is linked to the fifth largest airline in the US......when you call their reservation number for information or rebooking right now, it says that the call volume is toooo much to handle, and try going to the website to answer your questions. BUT....if you do not have power (and therefore are calling), how do you get to the website?

Smart folks!

ABEL said:
random power outage observation:

if they're telling people to not to turn on the a/c, conserve power, until everything returns back to normal, etc...

why are all the big flashy lights on at Times Square? :shifty: :scratch: :der:

most of the big touristy places... i.e. most places in times square... have their own backup generator's in case of emergency. thus then...

zonelistener said:
Power outage stupidity:

I work for an airline that is linked to the fifth largest airline in the US......when you call their reservation number for information or rebooking right now, it says that the call volume is toooo much to handle, and try going to the website to answer your questions. BUT....if you do not have power (and therefore are calling), how do you get to the website?

Smart folks!

We had a similar situation with the recent computer worm. If your computer was affected, you had to submit a "ticket" through an internal web site.

Oh btw..zoney tell your troops to stop by a Great skate and pick up some goalie gear......initial reports fromt eh field say our scouts came under hockey puck fire on the QEW.

I finally heard my sister's OK. She was going to take the subway into Manhattan yesterday afternoon but changed her mind at the last minute. Freaky. I'm so glad she stayed home. Last time I visited her it was also mid-summer and the subway tunnels were horribly hot even though the trains themselves are air-conditioned. I hate to think of anyone having to walk any kind of distance in those tunnels. :yikes:

I got back power about an hour ago.

Long 25 hours. I took a shower this morning, but didn't matter; I look like this right now, lol :crazy: At least we had plenty of bottled water, a battery operated radio, and a 7-11 was open nearby. Only shitty thing was the Aerosmith concert was postponed, and we were really looking forward to it. :slant:

Just glad everyone's OK. :wave:

Last edited:
Arun V said:
actually it was undoubtedly an ontario thing. Both explanantions the ONtario premiere ( if in fact that's what he's called) have beeen proven false.

Isn't it funny how one country blames another? :lol: Last I heard, or at least what they're telling us here, is that they're narrowing it down to the Fort Erie grid....or Syracuse, New York. As far as we know, the only reason we have power is because Jean Chretian (Prime Minister) decided to cut our power from the power in the States, which is why at leats some parts of Ontario have light. And water. Water is key. Toronto doesn't have water yet.....

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Isn't it funny how one country blames another? :lol: Last I heard, or at least what they're telling us here, is that they're narrowing it down to the Fort Erie grid....or Syracuse, New York. As far as we know, the only reason we have power is because Jean Chretian (Prime Minister) decided to cut our power from the power in the States, which is why at leats some parts of Ontario have light. And water. Water is key. Toronto doesn't have water yet.....

in all honesty it wasn't anyones "fault" it just happened.

This doesn't mean the invasion in cancelled. Zoney can you confirm your position?

yes I am going to run the invasion from this thread

Arun V said:

This doesn't mean the invasion in cancelled. Zoney can you confirm your position?

And in true southern style, making your top-secret plans international news for all to see - even your opponents ;)

:up:

I heard the whole thing started in Ohio... but who knows

I was in Cleveland at Hopkins Airport when the power went out, and my flight was cancelled so I had to drive about 13 hours home :crazy: It was fun trying to get out of the city with no working traffic lights!

only Canadians will get this!

Arun V said:

in all honesty it wasn't anyones "fault" it just happened.

My troops have pulled back. We crossed the border at Windsor, and got attacked by a couple of "Bubba's." They were in plaid.

Re: only Canadians will get this!

zonelistener said:

My troops have pulled back. We crossed the border at Windsor, and got attacked by a couple of "Bubba's." They were in plaid.

Don Cherry to the rescue!

Don%20&%20Blue.jpg

:laugh:

Re: only Canadians will get this!

zonelistener said:

How many?.......it seems from our intel that in an act of agression canada has amasses 90 percent of it's poulation in the provinces bordering the US...they may prove more formidable that we thought.

I am glad foxfire was one of the first reponders! US folks without CBC won't get it

Sad, but it only took three or four "Bubba's" - my troops were small, and "we hadn't eaten all day."

Go ahead...make fun of us for being lightweights. :angry:

ahhh how i love people.

so i get a phone call at work today from a parent who was wondering why we were closed friday (work in the office at a summer program... 32 different camps... 1200 kids total... yadda yadda yadda). the woman was very upset that we didn't give her a "courtesy call" about the closure on friday. i tried to explain to this wackadoo that, um, there was a massive state wide black out. that explanation was apparently not good enough. she tried saying we should have used cell phones or a pay phone to call each person individualy. ya know... sometimes i just love the human race.

Re: I am glad foxfire was one of the first reponders! US folks without CBC won't get it

zonelistener said:
Sad, but it only took three or four "Bubba's" - my troops were small, and "we hadn't eaten all day."

Go ahead...make fun of us for being lightweights. :angry:
\
no zoney it's ok...you see..I too am metabolically challenged at 6'1 155lbs I know all too well the hardships of combat.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ahhh how i love people.

so i get a phone call at work today from a parent who was wondering why we were closed friday (work in the office at a summer program... 32 different camps... 1200 kids total... yadda yadda yadda). the woman was very upset that we didn't give her a "courtesy call" about the closure on friday. i tried to explain to this wackadoo that, um, there was a massive state wide black out. that explanation was apparently not good enough. she tried saying we should have used cell phones or a pay phone to call each person individualy. ya know... sometimes i just love the human race.

Don't you just love people like that? :tsk: Honestly, people have been making me so mad lately. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom