Powderfinger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie

Babyface
Hi Everyone
I noticed that the Aussie band Powderfinger was advertised
on the Homepage. For anyone not in Australia I would
recommend buying their new album called "Vulture Street".
Hopefully they have released it in lots of other countries.
They are my second favourite band.
I think their touring overseas
soon, try and see them if you can.
Thanks
Seeya

I only really know their album "Internationalist"
and I think that was a very good

also enjoyed the first single they released from Vulture Street though its name has escaped me for now

:up:

The song in question is On My Mind.

They're solid, and good live. But I wouldn't rave about them...too many aussies do when they're not quite that good.

brettig said:
The song in question is On My Mind.

They're solid, and good live. But I wouldn't rave about them...too many aussies do when they're not quite that good.

I saw them live, Ours was the opening band and the reason I went, I don't know if it was because Ours was so much superior than them live, but I was very unimpressed. We left in the middle of their set to go grab a drink with Ours.

brettig said:
.... I wouldn't rave about them...too many aussies do ....
I don't think I've quite gone into rave mode over Powderfinger, but I really really like them. Some of their songs are so beautiful and some really rock. I find there is soul and a delicacy about Bernard Fanning which I like. I listened to one of their albums in it's entirety yesterday and REALLY enjoyed it. I haven't had the opportunity to see them live....yet!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I saw them live, Ours was the opening band and the reason I went, I don't know if it was because Ours was so much superior than them live, but I was very unimpressed. We left in the middle of their set to go grab a drink with Ours.

what is ours like live? i'm not a really big fan based on some of the album tracks i've heard, but this lady was telling me that i'm supposed to really like them because they're big u2 fans and all sorts of stuff :shrug:

edit: i realize you sort of answered that question by saying they're better than powderfinger, i just meant...compared to album i guess.

IWasBored said:

what is ours like live? i'm not a really big fan based on some of the album tracks i've heard, but this lady was telling me that i'm supposed to really like them because they're big u2 fans and all sorts of stuff :shrug:

edit: i realize you sort of answered that question by saying they're better than powderfinger, i just meant...compared to album i guess.

Well I think they're amazing live, I've seen them about 5 times. If you don't like either of their albums though I doubt you'd like their show. There's not much to the show other than the music, there's no crazy antics, not a whole lot of banter, just them playing their hearts out, but the most amazing thing is seeing him sing live. The man just has one of those voices, and it's real because he can pull if live without flaw.

They are huge U2 fans, in fact the guitarist reffered to Achtung Baby as the musical bible.

The only Powderfinger song I know is 'My Happiness'. I really like that track though.

I also really like Ours, BonoVoxSupastar :up:

I loooooove Powderfinger, maybe I'm biased because I am an Aussie and because they come from Queensland (my state) and because their drummer went to my high school and because a friend of mine went out with one of them, but all of that aside they are a great band live, musically and they are all very nice guys..

I really like Vulture Street the most because it rocks out a lot more than previous stuff of theirs and because they named it after a fairly iconic street in Brisbane. But then I can understand that maybe some overseas people dont quite get their style, I think that there is a very definate type of rock that is uniquely Australian (think aussie 70s and 80s pub rock, folks) and maybe only Australian ears appreciate this the most:wink:

arent they suppsoed to be releasing a DVD of songs from shows in australia?
they had a cameraman come on stage and film the crowd before the show on Dec 7 in melbourne (which i went to ;)).....so fingers crossed for a Powderfinger dvd this year!

I agree OzAurora, there is some Aussie bands that you have to be an Aussie to appreciate them.
Aussies generally don't go for all the razzamataz in bands, they just like to see a band play good songs i.e Cold Chisel , Angels etc.
It's good to know that some other people out there like Powderfinger

Powderfinger :up:

My fave song at the moment is "We should be together now", but then again I find I can listen to the albums from start to finish without stopping and that is *excellent* in my book.

Last edited:
Just saw them live last night. Amazingly fantastic! It was one of the best shows I've ever been to. And since it was in an intimate setting it made it all the more memorable. Def worth the wait out in the cold I'd say.

Vulture Street is just *meant* to be live. Not that I'm complaining about the tracks they did from Odyssey Number 5 ;)

Back
Top Bottom