Post your most depressing pieces of classical music here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We always play depressing songs in orchestra, so I've got a few for you:

Grieg, anything really but in particular, The Holberg Suite Third Movement.

Schumann's 8th Symphony aka The Unfinished

Chopin's got a lot under his belt too

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Chopin's Nocturnes and Preludes. Ah hell you might as well throw in the Impromptu's as well. Dark, dark stuff, but beautiful.

Originally posted by Angel:
Chopin's Nocturnes and Preludes. Ah hell you might as well throw in the Impromptu's as well. Dark, dark stuff, but beautiful.

Not all of it's dark...actually there's a good deal of it that's very pleasant...maybe not outright upbeat, but not dark and broodish. (though I tend to prefer the dark and broodish
smile.gif
)

And I only mean the really depressing ones for me to download!!!

[*] B?rber's adagio for strings
[*] Bach's Air Overture #3

Originally posted by Diemen:
Beethoven's Symphony No. 7, 2nd movement - one of my favorite symphonic movements out of all classical music

That is my all time favorite piece(I think). Just the second movement though....I literally get goose-bumps on my arms and my eyes water everytime I hear it.
Man, I haven't listened to it in a long time....but I don't like the recording I have.

------------------
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata can be depressing.

That's what I was going to say. And just so happens to be my favourite classical song ever.

Originally posted by Diemen:
Not all of it's dark...actually there's a good deal of it that's very pleasant...maybe not outright upbeat, but not dark and broodish. (though I tend to prefer the dark and broodish
smile.gif
)

No, not all, but more so than not IMO. Especially when talking about the preludes. Chopin is my favourite, but I find him melancholic. Ah hell, most piano classical music is melancholic.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The second movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata can be depressing.

I think you mean the first movement
smile.gif
. The first is the dark Adagio movement, the 2nd is actually pretty light and pleasant.

*is a Classical snob*
biggrin.gif

I can't quite put depressing and music in the same sentence.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 04-03-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom