Post your minesweeper game record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minesweeper is THE DEVIL. Seriously. I'm not addicted to drugs, cigarettes or alcohol, but I am addicted to this game. I can waste so much time on my home computer playing this damned thing.

But in my defense, I do some of my best thinking while playing Minesweeper and listening to music. :wink:

I don't time myself. What I do is go to the "custom" level and create a 24x30 grid (apparently the biggest I can make) and add an additional 5 mines each time I win at the previous level.

I've gotten up to 175 multiple times, but am still working on making it past that level.

Beginner: 26 seconds
Intermediate: 250 seconds
Expert: 999 seconds

I fail at life. :reject:

Argh I have never understood minesweeper.. its just a complete random clicking-on-squares type game for me.

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Am I the only one who absolutely hates minesweeper?

I´m a Solitaire kinda girl meself. :wink:

Solitaire rocks! Now that I can understand.

partygirlvox said:
Argh I have never understood minesweeper.. its just a complete random clicking-on-squares type game for me.

It's fairly easy once you understand how it works. For your benefit:

minesweeper1gj8.gif

Click anywhere you like. I usually start in the corners. Unless you hit a mine on the first click, you will see a number / bunch of numbers come out. Here's the key: each number represents the number of mines hidden in the eight boxes surrounding it.

minesweeper2hv6.gif

See the '1' on the top left? The two squares next to it are empty. The one below it is another number. The one directly to the right of it is a number. That means the un-clicked box HAS to contain the mine. So we right click it and flag it.

minesweeper3lb1.gif

Next, we move on to the second '1' at the top of the box. Since it reads '1', we know there's one mine in the surrounding squares, and since the mine we previously flagged is in its radius, we know it's safe to click on those two on the right side.

minesweeper4tb7.gif

Moving on a bit, you'll see that it isn't really as hard as it looks! Look at the '2-2-2-1' row. Focus on the 1. There's only one square in its 8 square radius that can possibly be clicked, so it MUST contain the mine. Right click. Then move to the '2' directly left of it. Since there are only two possible squares there to be clicked, they both have to contain the mines. And so on.

It only gets complicated if you have more options to work with. Focus on the '2-2-2-1' row again. Look at the first 2. You know there has to be two mines in the surrounding eight squares, but you have a choice of clicking three. So what do you do? You get your help from other squares. Look at the second 2. We already found the two mines, so it's safe to click on the square to the left of them. That's narrowed down the choice to two squares. Now look at the 1 directly above the 2. There's only one possible square to click on there, so it HAS to contain the mine. By right clicking on that square, you effectively satisfy the '1' and the '2.'

See, it's not so bad. :) Hope that helps!

Last edited:

I have been obsessed with this game since a girl in college showed me how to play about 12 years ago. I think it worse than the bubble game.:mad: :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

It's fairly easy once you understand how it works. For your benefit:

minesweeper1gj8.gif

Click anywhere you like. I usually start in the corners. Unless you hit a mine on the first click, you will see a number / bunch of numbers come out. Here's the key: each number represents the number of mines hidden in the eight boxes surrounding it.

minesweeper2hv6.gif

See the '1' on the top left? The two squares next to it are empty. The one below it is another number. The one directly to the right of it is a number. That means the un-clicked box HAS to contain the mine. So we right click it and flag it.

minesweeper3lb1.gif

Next, we move on to the second '1' at the top of the box. Since it reads '1', we know there's one mine in the surrounding squares, and since the mine we previously flagged is in its radius, we know it's safe to click on those two on the right side.

minesweeper4tb7.gif

Moving on a bit, you'll see that it isn't really as hard as it looks! Look at the '2-2-2-1' row. Focus on the 1. There's only one square in its 8 square radius that can possibly be clicked, so it MUST contain the mine. Right click. Then move to the '2' directly left of it. Since there are only two possible squares there to be clicked, they both have to contain the mines. And so on.

It only gets complicated if you have more options to work with. Focus on the '2-2-2-1' row again. Look at the first 2. You know there has to be two mines in the surrounding eight squares, but you have a choice of clicking three. So what do you do? You get your help from other squares. Look at the second 2. We already found the two mines, so it's safe to click on the square to the left of them. That's narrowed down the choice to two squares. Now look at the 1 directly above the 2. There's only one possible square to click on there, so it HAS to contain the mine. By right clicking on that square, you effectively satisfy the '1' and the '2.'

See, it's not so bad. :) Hope that helps!

:up: See where i was going wrong.. i never understood what the numbers were for. Now there's no stopping me!

I just learned how to play this game yesterday. My friends at school were screaming at me because I couldn't get it. :huh: I'm usually fine with these kinds of games but Minesweeper kicked my ass! I went home and I played it so I wouldn't look like an idiot next time. My best time on the beginner level is 45 seconds!!!!:lol: I suck.

First time....after 5-6 attempts I was able to complete EXPERT in 650 seconds....That was 20 days back...

After couple of days..it came down to 350 sec

Then 310 seconds...

These days 250 is common...Once I did it at 219

180s is achievable...after that next target under 150

1173500656533ds3.jpg

Anyway, I've never been good at Minesweeper. I can grasp the concept.. I just suck at it. If I had a record it would be in the negatives.
(And yes, I had to bump this. The temptation was too great :angry:)

Back
Top Bottom