post your favorite hair metal song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aerosmith = not hair metal
GNR - not hair metal either. Pure ROCK N' ROLL!!!

And VP has been pretty accurate in posting here :hi5:
:secrets: :shifty:

Should I bother to read the first 6 pages of this thread?
<<<lack of free time...

Now I'm in the mood for some Whitesnake :hmm:
And just in case you were curious, they just put out a new album (not that I've heard anything about it). Slow & Easy :drool: :flirt:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I know, that's why I'm going with it...:D

Yes, I agree with you overall, but for a period, 1987 - 1990, I think you could classify them as "Hair Metal"...and I'm basing that on:

1) Their look (see the 'Dude Looks Like A Lady' video)
2) Songs (listen to 'Love In An Elevator' and the power ballad 'Angel')

Am I straining to make my case...:eyebrow:

:laugh:

Okay I dunno. Maaaybe but it's a stretch. :wink:

Yeah I guess Def Leppard is hair metal...

1. There is at least one pretty boy in the band.
2. Lots of ballads mixed in with hard rockers.
3. Lots of hair. :crazy:

I don't think they liked to be clumped in with bands like Poison, Ratt, Dokken etc. though! I remember one time Joe Elliot was like "Ohh don't bunch us in with that!!"

:lol:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Yeah, Lep hit the tail end of NWOBHM, and I have to say, that they were never anything like Maiden, Priest, Angel Witch, Venom, Tygers Of Pan Tang or any of those other NWOBHM bands...am I right...:hmm:

yes, Saxon, Diamond Head and Samson (Bruce's band before Maiden) are great bands too, I'm really into NWOBHM these days, but actually 99% of what I listen is metal

PS: Priest are not NWOBHM, they started in 1969 though their debut album was released in 1974

Last edited:
yeah, listen to Pat - JP is not hair metal, nor are The Scorpions. They were around long before they made it "big" in America. Started in early/mid 70s. And a side note: they are VERY short. Barely 5' tall if that :nerd:

VP - your location makes me think of Steeler's Wheel :nerd:

But Def Leppard didn't wear make up though!!! Or did they? I don't think they ever consciously tried to look like women. :laugh:

Zootlesque said:
But Def Leppard didn't wear make up though!!! Or did they? I don't think they ever consciously tried to look like women. :laugh:

No, no they didn't. They were melodic, but didn't, IMO, fit into the hair metal category that would be Poison, Ratt, LA Guns, etc.

pat132 said:

yes, Saxon, Diamond Head and Samson (Bruce's band before Maiden) are great bands too, I'm really into NWOBHM these days, but actually 99% of what I listen is metal

PS: Priest are not NWOBHM, they started in 1969 though their debut album was released in 1974

But Priest was lumped into that category when "British Steel" came out...I saw a documentary on VH1 Classic that said as much. Now I agree that Priest are old farts, and were making songs when Edison was perfecting the phonograph, but I'll make the argument that they didn't go 'metal' until around 1980...:hmm:

Lila64 said:
yeah, listen to Pat - JP is not hair metal, nor are The Scorpions. They were around long before they made it "big" in America. Started in early/mid 70s. And a side note: they are VERY short. Barely 5' tall if that :nerd:

VP - your location makes me think of Steeler's Wheel :nerd:

Again, both bands were HUGE in the 80's and Hair Metal was the most popular music of the time, so sometimes they will be lumped into those categories, regardless of when they actually began recording.

OK, I'm still sticking with Motley Crue as the greatest Hair Metal Band of all time.

They should be in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame...:yes:

Lila64 said:
Aerosmith = not hair metal
GNR - not hair metal either. Pure ROCK N' ROLL!!!

And VP has been pretty accurate in posting here :hi5:
:secrets: :shifty:

:kiss:

Zootlesque said:

I don't think they liked to be clumped in with bands like Poison, Ratt, Dokken etc. though! I remember one time Joe Elliot was like "Ohh don't bunch us in with that!!"

:lol:

I think he has a valid point. I never really categorized them in that way back in the day, either. I think they were more innovative than 99% of the hair metal bands out there. They melded hard rock with glam, pop, and wrote amazing melodic songs with great hooks - very appealing. They were doing something no one else at the time was doing, and, like every good, innovative band in music, they spawned a ton of wannabes who never lived up to the originals, imo.

Lila64 said:

No, no they didn't. They were melodic, but didn't, IMO, fit into the hair metal category that would be Poison, Ratt, LA Guns, etc.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...Musically they are heads and tail above any of these bands...but appearance wise, and song wise they fit the category, maybe on the fringe edges, but Elliot's hair is teased to the heavens in quite a few of their videos. And Rick Savage...Mullet Fro!!!

They made the first chick metal album ever..."Hysteria"...a classic and an album I still listen to, but Hair Metal in my opinion...:yes:

VintagePunk said:

:kiss:

I think he has a valid point. I never really categorized them in that way back in the day, either. I think they were more innovative than 99% of the hair metal bands out there. They melded hard rock with glam, pop, and wrote amazing melodic songs with great hooks - very appealing. They were doing something no one else at the time was doing, and, like every good, innovative band in music, they spawned a ton of wannabes who never lived up to the originals, imo.

:bow:

:love:

:combust:

Sorry Reg, I just can't classify Def Leppard in the same category as Poison :)
Though I did have the guilty pleasure of watching Rock Of Love 2 :reject: :whistle:

You just liked the girl in the Cherry Pie video :sexywink:

First time I saw Def Leppard, they opened for Billy Squier at (then) Irvine Meadows. Then they turned around and headlined (Fabulous Forum) after that stint. I just found my guitar pick. It's a metal one with Def Leppard's logo etched in :up:

And I saw The Crue a few times. Once they opened for Kiss at Universal Amphitheater. Kickstart My Heart FTMFW! :rockon: (and the first album was so classic!)

Lila64 said:
Sorry Reg, I just can't classify Def Leppard in the same category as Poison :)
Though I did have the guilty pleasure of watching Rock Of Love 2 :reject: :whistle:

Def Leppard opened the doors for Poison song wise, whereas Motley opened the door for Poison look wise.

However between those three bands Motley is more a 'guys' band whereas Lep and Poison get lumped in the "Chick Metal" category.

Rock of Love is so stupidly addicting...:shifty: I grew up hating Poison, so for me watch that...consistently...:reject:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Somewhat, a little more color on some of the songs...but I bought the "Hysteria" 20 Year Edition last year, and that kicked some serious ass...:rockon:

Wow. Hysteria was so sonically amazing in the first place, I can't even imagine it being better!

VintagePunk said:

Other than a handful of songs, I never really liked them.

How would you classify Crue? :hmm:

Glam/Hair Metal/Pop-Metal - they are one of few true innovators of this genre. They move in and out of different genres within Metal. Even though they appeal to some women, they are mostly a guys band.

I'm seeing them on August 5th...:drool:...trust me next to a U2 concert, there is no other concert I look more forward to...:rockon:

Zootlesque said:
Reg check your myspace comments! :whistle:

Lila, check Reg's myspace comments... :lol: or gimme your email!

I'm not on myspace - would I still be able to see? Email is the same... madeleines mom at yahooooooooooooooooooooooo :wink:

So Reggie, did you prefer Daisy or Ambre? Or someone else? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom