post your favorite hair metal song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've gotta give Euphoria another chance! :wink: It sounds nothing like Slang, their mid 90s take on grunge or alternative rock or whatever, lol. Euphoria was like "back to the 80s sound with guns blazing". It did have some mid tempo tracks like Paper Sun and Guilty which may be more at home in the 90s but overall I thought it was a huge comeback! Demolition Man, Promises, Kings Of Oblivion... classic Hysteria style material right there! :rockon: Sure, it had some cheese like It's Only Love and All Night. But hey let's face it, what Leppard album doesn't have some cheese? :wink:

VintagePunk said:

Actually, I haven't really liked much that they've done since Retro Active. That's the last album I ever spent any amount of time listening to. I think that I just sort of got turned off of their genre around the mid 90's, and stopped paying attention, really.

I'd be curious to hear their covers album too, I looked it up and their are some great songs on there.

They just postponed a show in this area a few weeks ago, one I nearly bought tickets to for old times sake. I heard about the postponement and looked them up. After just a couple of listens, I do have to say I like the new single more than anything I've heard by them since the early 90's. Sounds like a return to their classic sound, even if they've included a dollop of nu-country in there, to make it palatable for their aging fans. :yuck:

Good assessment, Reg :up:

I wouldn't know where to get you guys a copy of "Yeah!" :shifty:

Zootlesque said:
You've gotta give Euphoria another chance! :wink: It sounds nothing like Slang, their mid 90s take on grunge or alternative rock or whatever, lol. Euphoria was like "back to the 80s sound with guns blazing". It did have some mid tempo tracks like Paper Sun and Guilty which may be more at home in the 90s but overall I thought it was a huge comeback! Demolition Man, Promises, Kings Of Oblivion... classic Hysteria style material right there! :rockon: Sure, it had some cheese like It's Only Love and All Night. But hey let's face it, what Leppard album doesn't have some cheese? :wink:

Leppard albums starting with 'Adrenalized' are a mouse's dream...:yes:

Zootlesque said:

True but Maiden is so damn cheesy that they blur the boundary between hair metal and heavy metal. :wink: I cannot take their albums seriously like I do say, Metallica's albums.

That's where you're wrong Zoots...Maiden's songs beg you to take them seriously...it's more or less the presentation that is off putting. Dickinson in tight spandex, or is it just lycra and long hair with bangs...:sick:

They're songs are fairly deep, but the noodly guitars make me :lol:

Maiden rock out with their cocks out, but sometimes we don't need all the 'visual'...:yes:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Leppard albums starting with 'Adrenalized' are a mouse's dream...:yes:

Oh man. :memories: When Adrenalized came out, I was still a Def Leppard apologist, and I remember they got soundly spanked by rock critics for such gems as Let's Get Rocked and Make Love Like A Man. :shudder: :lol: To be fair though, that album did have some good tracks (Stand Up :drool: ), as did Retro Active. And yes, if anyone you know happens to have Yeah... :shifty:

Maybe I will give it another go, Zoots. :hmm: Like I said, the new single has caught my attention, and I love the name of the upcoming album. That in itself makes me want to hear it.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Maiden's songs beg you to take them seriously...it's more or less the presentation that is off putting. Dickinson in tight spandex, or is it just lycra and long hair with bangs...:sick:

I kinda lump Maiden in with Judas Priest. I never really got into that genre full stop, but there are a few songs from each of the popular bands back then that I liked. I think I liked more of Priest than Maiden, though, and more still of Ozzy.

Good lord, let me check my calendar, is it 1986 again? ;)

VintagePunk said:

I kinda lump Maiden in with Judas Priest. I never really got into that genre full stop, but there are a few songs from each of the popular bands back then that I liked. I think I liked more of Priest than Maiden, though, and more still of Ozzy.

Good lord, let me check my calendar, is it 1986 again? ;)

Gawd, I think you're my Metal Princess...because that is 'exactly' how I feel about Priest, Maiden, and Ozzy. Maiden...too cool for school (in their mind), Priest tougher than leather, but kinda smelly when they get wet, and Ozzy...everybody's favorite drunk uncle...with good stories to tell...:yes:

I really don't care for Ozzy. And I think VP knows about my 80s Def Leppard crush :shifty: I preferred Priest out of the ones you mentioned above. Saw them on the 'Screaming for Vengeance' tour :rockon:

Haven't heard Joe & the boys in years!

"Yeah" is still in print. I can order you a copy if you send me $$$.

Whatever happened to that REM request :hmm:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Maiden's songs beg you to take them seriously...it's more or less the presentation that is off putting.

Well yeah... I didn't say they don't try to sound serious! I just can't take them seriously with the ridiculous lyrics and imagery.

And as for Adrenalize (no 'd' at the end ;) ), I loved it when it came out :lol: but I wasn't yet fully into grunge. Later, I realized it's weakness with very bad cheese like I Wanna Touch You. :sick: Let's Get Rocked still makes me all :rockon: although it's pretty silly.

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:

No, I need to look for it...:drool:

But tell me, what do you think of the Scorpions, Hair Metal or Heavy Metal...:hmm:

That's a good question. I was just thinking about them a while ago, after I'd posted about Priest et al. :lol:

I don't think they were exactly hair metal, but then, I don't think they were pure metal, either. A hybrid of the two, maybe?

Damned Germans, so tough categorize!

VintagePunk said:

That's a good question. I was just thinking about them a while ago, after I'd posted about Priest et al. :lol:

I don't think they were exactly hair metal, but then, I don't think they were pure metal, either. A hybrid of the two, maybe?

Damned Germans, so tough categorize!

Well they're 'Pop Metal' and 'Hard Rock' for sure...right? I just love the twin guitar attack and something about Klaus' voice makes me raise my fist and say "Yeah"...I haven't seen them live in 9 years though...:sigh:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Well they're 'Pop Metal' and 'Hard Rock' for sure...right? I just love the twin guitar attack and something about Klaus' voice makes me raise my fist and say "Yeah"...I haven't seen them live in 9 years though...:sigh:

Definitely. I still listen to a couple of their singles on occasion. Rock You Like a Hurricane, Still Loving You, No One Like You - they're like a guilty pleasure for me. :reject:

I think part of your definition of hair metal, the part about being appealing to a female audience, is true. I don't think the Scorpions really consciously went for that appeal the way other bands did. They have a bit more of an edge than hair metal did.

VintagePunk said:

Definitely. I still listen to a couple of their singles on occasion. Rock You Like a Hurricane, Still Loving You, No One Like You - they're like a guilty pleasure for me. :reject:

I think part of your definition of hair metal, the part about being appealing to a female audience, is true. I don't think the Scorpions really consciously went for that appeal the way other bands did. They have a bit more of an edge than hair metal did.

Uh, they're too ugly to appeal to women...:yes:

They had no choice to but to have that 'edge' you so eloquently spoke of...:lol:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Uh, they're too ugly to appeal to women...:yes:

They had no choice to but to have that 'edge' you so eloquently spoke of...:lol:

Well, yeah, that too. :shifty: Hair metal did have the prerequisite of having at least one or two pretty boys in the band. And the Scorpions certainly didn't qualify by that standard.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
VP...:love:

Thank you (and Zoots) for keeping this thread, which is dear to my heart, alive.

Question: Do we lump mid-80's Aerosmith into the Hair Metal category...:hmm:

Y'know, I don't think I would. I think they're more straight up blues-based rock.

(this really appeals to the categorization geek in me :nerd: )

I know, that's why I'm going with it...:D

Yes, I agree with you overall, but for a period, 1987 - 1990, I think you could classify them as "Hair Metal"...and I'm basing that on:

1) Their look (see the 'Dude Looks Like A Lady' video)
2) Songs (listen to 'Love In An Elevator' and the power ballad 'Angel')

Am I straining to make my case...:eyebrow:

Zootlesque said:
Is Def Leppard hair metal? Really? :shifty:

What about Iron Maiden then?

Can I Play With Madness?!! :rockon:

...or The Clairvoyant. :love:

Maiden (my 3rd favorite band) are really not hair metal (i.e. no power ballads except Wasting Love, no sex-drugs-rock n' roll lyrics and style). And I think they're far from cheesy lyrics (Rime of the Ancient Mariner of Alexander the Great :drool:)... and also Steve Harris spandex pants rocks :rockon:

Both (Maiden and Def Leppard) came from NWOBHM at the beginning of the 80s but Leppard went hair metal after their debut album

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I know, that's why I'm going with it...:D

Yes, I agree with you overall, but for a period, 1987 - 1990, I think you could classify them as "Hair Metal"...and I'm basing that on:

1) Their look (see the 'Dude Looks Like A Lady' video)
2) Songs (listen to 'Love In An Elevator' and the power ballad 'Angel')

Am I straining to make my case...:eyebrow:

You are. :cute:

Has their look even changed in the last 80 years? I can't really remember anything specific to that period that would be counted as unique, but then again, it's probably been decades since I've seen it.

The songs you're speaking of, Elevator just sounds like typical Aerosmith v 2.0 to me. I suppose an argument could be made for Angel, but I think they just put that out to be radio-friendly at the time, to help them along in their comeback efforts, I don't think it necessarily reflected their overall sound.

pat132 said:

Maiden are really not hair metal (i.e. no power ballads except Wasting Love, no sex-drugs-rock n' roll lyrics and style)

Both (Maiden and Def Leppard) came from NWOBHM at the beginning of the 80s but Leppard went hair metal after their debut album

Yeah, Lep hit the tail end of NWOBHM, and I have to say, that they were never anything like Maiden, Priest, Angel Witch, Venom, Tygers Of Pan Tang or any of those other NWOBHM bands...am I right...:hmm:

*edit* Leppard was there from the start, but they brand of 'metal' was even lite then...:yes:

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

You are. :cute:

Has their look even changed in the last 80 years? I can't really remember anything specific to that period that would be counted as unique, but then again, it's probably been decades since I've seen it.

The songs you're speaking of, Elevator just sounds like typical Aerosmith v 2.0 to me. I suppose an argument could be made for Angel, but I think they just put that out to be radio-friendly at the time, to help them along in their comeback efforts, I don't think it necessarily reflected their overall sound.

True, and so now the real question G n' R...Hair Metal or a different animal altogether...:confused:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Yeah, Lep hit the tail end of NWOBHM, and I have to say, that they were never anything like Maiden, Priest, Angel Witch, Venom, Tygers Of Pan Tang or any of those other NWOBHM bands...am I right...:hmm:

*edit* Leppard was there from the start, but they brand of 'metal' was even lite then...:yes:

Yeah, they were definitely more melodic than those other bands, even on On Through the Night and High and Dry.

Back
Top Bottom