post your favorite hair metal song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unico said:
is there a difference between hair metal and heavy metal?

Hair Metal sucked a little bit more.

I'd say: Hair Metal is usually applied to bands that were more about image - Poison, Warrant, Trixter. Heavy Metal was more of a musical genre. I don't know that I'd consider most of the hair metal bands as actually playing heavy metal music - Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax - those were heavy metal bands to me. But ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers. That's why we have VH1.

Bands like GnR and Def Leppard are usually lumped into Hair Metal, but I don't think that's accurate. They were more hard rock, and GnR was almost punk at times, bluesy at other times. Rarely metal though.

UberBeaver said:

Hair Metal sucked a little bit more.

I'd say: Hair Metal is usually applied to bands that were more about image - Poison, Warrant, Trixter. Heavy Metal was more of a musical genre. I don't know that I'd consider most of the hair metal bands as actually playing heavy metal music - Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax - those were heavy metal bands to me. But ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers. That's why we have VH1.

ah, but which one has better flow?

unico said:
is there a difference between hair metal and heavy metal?

Historically speaking no. In the 80's there was no such term as hair metal or glam metal etc. It was all heavy metal. Hair metal as a 90's creation coming along later to differentiate it from acts like Metallica.

Snowlock said:
In the 80's there was no such term as hair metal or glam metal etc.

This is a bit of a strange thing to debate but I absolutely remember calling it glam in the 80's. Glam rock, hair bands. We used those terms, especially in the late 80's.

I'll second that. We were making fun of Warrant, Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, Skid Row, etc. as glam rock/cheese metal/hair metal long before the 90's rolled around. Poison's first album came out when I was a freshman in High School in 1986, same with Slippery When Wet if I'm not mistaken.

Guns 'n' Roses were never considered part of glam rock because they weren't meticulously coiffed, and had an element of danger that wasn't present in ANY of those other bands.

The real question is how to classify Motley Crue. Personally I feel they sold out with Girls Girls Girls and lost any credibility they may have had with the "satanic" Shout at the Devil and follow up Theatre of Pain. A less flashy glam rock band but watered-down and musically similar to all the rest.

Def Leppard is a strange one--they're not really hard enough to be metal, but they had these cool album covers and didn't really sound like the other glam bands. Plus, stuff like Photograph from 1983 was just as poppy as the later stuff. They're really more like Van Halen than anything else, which I guess does make them hard rock.

Apparently Wikipedia agrees with me. I just checked and you have Poison classified as Glam, Def Lep as hard rock. Then again they consider Winger "rock" so they're not exactly the authority.

lazarus said:

Guns 'n' Roses were never considered part of glam rock because they weren't meticulously coiffed, and had an element of danger that wasn't present in ANY of those other bands.

The real question is how to classify Motley Crue. Personally I feel they sold out with Girls Girls Girls and lost any credibility they may have had with the "satanic" Shout at the Devil and follow up Theatre of Pain. A less flashy glam rock band but watered-down and musically similar to all the rest.

Thank you.

Also, don't forget Too Fast for Love :rockon:

UberBeaver said:
Bands like GnR and Def Leppard are usually lumped into Hair Metal, but I don't think that's accurate. They were more hard rock, and GnR was almost punk at times, bluesy at other times. Rarely metal though.

Exactly!!! Def Leppard was more hard rock. They did have some hair metal elements and a fair share of cheese but they also adapted with the times when the 90s rolled over. Slang sounded more like hard rock than hair metal.

As for Guns n Roses, it was the beast that killed hair metal with the totally badass Welcome To The Jungle. If they didn't kill it, they at least took a great shot at it... and eventually Smells Like Teen Spirit killed it.

Okay, topic at hand...

Fav hair metal song: :hmm:

Carrie by Europe?

:drool:

I knew there was a reason I liked you, elevated. :wink:

I've only recently started liking Def Leppard. There's a lot I skip on their hits record, but there's a lot that's :rockon: -worthy.

Those boys had good ol' pop sensibilities and knew their way around a great chorus with good harmonies.

corianderstem said:
I knew there was a reason I liked you, elevated. :wink:

I've only recently started liking Def Leppard. There's a lot I skip on their hits record, but there's a lot that's :rockon: -worthy.

Those boys had good ol' pop sensibilities and knew their way around a great chorus with good harmonies.

You're supposed to be eating.

Whitesnake is weird because they were around in the late 70's, but totally fit right into the glam rock scene when their self-titled comeback came out in 86/87. Here I Go Again was actually a rerecorded version of a pretty old song (as was album opener Cryin' in the Rain).

One of their older albums, Slide It In, is really good and doesn't sound dated compared to much of the music from the glam period.

lazarus said:
Whitesnake is weird because they were around in the late 70's, but totally fit right into the glam rock scene when their self-titled comeback came out in 86/87. Here I Go Again was actually a rerecorded version of a pretty old song (as was album opener Cryin' in the Rain).

One of their older albums, Slide It In, is really good and doesn't sound dated compared to much of the music from the glam period.

I liked 'Slow & Easy' :sexywink:

Much of 'hair metal' was glorified pop music with the singers screaming unneccessarily and some guitar distortion.

Metallica is light years away from that. Old-school Metallica...'Ride The Lighting', 'Master Of Puppets', '...And Justice For All', that's real metal.

every rose has its thorn :heart:

gunners and skid row :faint: love the shit, axyl and sebastian came down under recently and it was the best fucking concert i have seen (other than u2) they blew the roof off. !

Back
Top Bottom