Post what's in your COPY 'N' PASTE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grab your pith helmet and head for the Kalahari Resort and Convention Center in the Wisconsin Dells for a safari-themed grand opening adventure.

Developmental Psychology ? Lecture 1

Introduction -

Most areas of psychology focus on the behaviours of individuals at a given time. This is known as a cross-sectional view of psychology.

Conversely, developmental psychology studies how an individual's behaviours and abilities change and develop with age and experience. This is known as a longitudinal view of psychology.

Although various sorts of development continue throughout our entire lives, the majority of developmental research focuses on child development rather than development over the entire life span.

Why is this?

? Development is most obvious and most rapid in the childhood years, and has therefore received a lot of attention.
? Practicality: we spend a good deal of time and energy devoted to teaching and training children.
? Many intellectual and perceptual tasks are difficult for children. By studying the errors that children make, we can not only learn about the development process itself, but perhaps also something about how these tasks are performed by adults.
? Another reason is theoretical. The influence of theorists like Freud - who believed in the extreme importance of childhood events for later development - led to a focus on child development to the exclusion of development at other ages.

Language Development ?

Two separable aspects of language use -

1) Comprehension: the ability to understand spoken language.
2) Production: the ability to produce speech.

It is possible, that an infant's comprehension is greater than his/her production, but not vice-versa.
We will focus on production, because it is easier to observe, record, and quantify than comprehension.

Babbling -

? Begins at about 2-3 months; ends at about 12 months.
? Child begins making sounds out of which language will be constructed
- these are known as phonemes.
- different languages use different sets of phonemes.

? Babbled sounds include many that are not part of language the child will learn.
- the child may at this stage make sounds that will be difficult or even impossible for him/her to make as an adult. For example, Japanese infants may make both the 'r' sound and the 'l' sound, even though as adult speakers of Japanese, they will have great difficulty making either sound since they are not used in Japanese.

? During the final 2-3 months, the number of sounds made while babbling decreases: Sounds that are not heard disappear, leaving mostly the phonemes that are part of the language spoken around the child.

The first word -

? At about 12 months, the infant speaks his/her first word.
? When the child utters its first word, he/she now begins working with another basic unit of language - the morpheme: the smallest unit of language that has meaning.
? Every child's first word tends to be made up from the same small subset of consonant and vowel sounds: 'a', 'e', or 'i'; and for consonants, 'm', 'b', 'd', 't', or 'p'.
- perhaps because these sounds are relatively easy to form.

? From 12-24 months, the child adds new speaking and comprehension vocabulary.
- usually names of important items in the child's environment.

? At about 24 months, the child produces his/her first multi-word utterance.
- usually an adjective-noun pair or a noun-verb pair. E.g. big-dog; Daddy-go
- length and grammatical complexity of child's utterances increase.
- more additions to both working and comprehension vocabulary.

? Notable features of a child's early sentences:
- words are left out, especially small words such as prepositions (in, at, by), and relative pronouns (which, that, who).
- Child's speech often described as telegraphic: making sentences as short as possible.

Summary of Language Development ?

Models of Language Development ?

The reinforcement model, proposed by B. F. Skinner, argues that language can be viewed as nothing more than a set of behaviours or responses that happen to involve making sounds.

Skinner contends that, like any other learned behaviour, language acquisition is the result of shaping, positive reinforcement, generalization, and discrimination.

The idea behind Skinner's theory is illustrated in the following diagram:

? Babbling is selectively reinforced: sounds that are part of the language are more likely to be reinforced than are other sounds.

? Likewise, the first word is shaped when sound sequences resembling words are given more reinforcement that other sound sequences.

? With continued reinforcement, the child increases the number of word-like utterances that he/she makes, since each one brings more reinforcement than non-words do.

? Word meaning is learned similarly: based on generalization and discrimination. That is, the child is reinforced for uttering the correct name in the presence of object, and generalizes the learned response to similar objects.

Skinner distinguishes two kinds of multi-word utterances:

1) Mands: utterances that make requests. Reinforced when the request is granted. E.g. "Want cookie!"
2) Tacts: utternaces that make statements or observations about the world. Reinforced by the general response of the listener. E.g. "Big Doggy"

In addition to vocabulary, a child's utterances become grammatically correct as a result of selective reinforcement: A child's sentences are more likely to receive reinforcement from others when they are grammatically correct than when they are not.

Hi, Stephen

Well, when I first saw what I had to write (my greatest WM memory), I thought it would be easy... and hard too, as I've seen only 5 WMs entirely (WM XII, XV, 2000, X7 and X8).

I could have choose something like Kurt Angle at X7, and my surprise at him being so... blown up, pumped up, and with a weird face... He looked like he was on cocaine... but I can't have bad memories about Kurt.

I could have choose one of the greatest heel turns of all times... no, not SCSA with Vince... I'm talking about WMXV and HHH... Man that was absolutely some of the best writing I've seen... 1 minute, the hero of the world joining Chyna again... 2 matches after... The Game is born...

I could have choose WM2000 and the TLC, or the first heel champ to ever retain at WM (HHH... again)

I was 11 when I started to watch wrestling, sporadicly, around 1995... until I saw a recap of Survivor Series and he underdog going against the power-guy with intelligence instead of strenght or cheating... Bret Hart is in position to take the JackKnife when out of nowhere he small-packages Diesel to become the WWF Champ... I was amazed.
That same month, Owen Hart kicked Shawn Michaels in the head. Shawn vanisg?hes and goes to the hospital.
Later, on January, a press conference is held when Shawn confirms his inclussion on the Royal Rumble... I was once again amazed by the power of will of this supermen. Shawn would eventually win the Rumble.
Then, on February's In Your House, the WWF championship was on the line in a cage match between Bret Hart and Diesel. This match had the most amazing ending I have ever seen, with Taker ripping a hole on the mat and taking Diesel with him, as Bret escapes retaining the championship, and making his fight with Shawn inevitable.
And to make my point, my favorite WM moment was, is, and forever will be the Iron Man Match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Why do you ask? Simple.

Because Gorilla Monson was "taken out" by Vader, another "President" was put in charge by WWF management: Rowdy Roddy Piper. And one of his first actions was to make the WWF Championship match at WM to be the biggest ever, one for the ages. He acomplished that by making the first ever 60-Minute Iron Man Match for the WWF Title. Both men agree, they sign the contract, and the match is settled. What happened after that contract was signed was absolute gold to my eyes: both men shock hands and... didn't intend to hurt each other until WM. The world was looking at a GENTLEMENT'S PACT. The weeks after and until WM, both men had fights, and when a 3rd happened to atack one of them, the other would run out and save him, and viceversa. Both men, taking care of each other. Both men were looking for to having the match of their lives at WM by saving their oponents of the hands of ruthless villains (Lets remember,they were both babyfaces).
Both wanted the other to go the distance and to give the best match they could. Both men left the WWF 3 or 2 weeks prior to WM to go train, and you would see videos of them training... Bret jogging by the side of a Montreal river... Shawn doing sit ups and training with Jose Lotario.
Then, it happened, WM XII... The whole night I was anxious about the results.
Then, on Monday, I found out what happened. (No, I didn't watch the PPV, I live in Chile, and only got RAW on cable, USA... at least it was live). I was dissapointed... Bret lost... I'm a die hard fan of Bret.
It was the year 1999, December, when I finally could get my hands on WM XII. I saw the tape, and was as amazed as when I was 11 or 12. Shawn coming down from the roof and through the crowd. Bret with determination on his face. The Sweet Chin Music to the timekeeper, and the look of Bret when he saw the boot coming to his face. Shawn flying over the ropes to hit Bret. The psycology that both used on that match, a 60 min match that was never boring or dull or monotonous or even predictable. The use of the time, and the mind struggle of every fan watching when Bret locked that Sharpshooter with one minute to go and Shawn so far away from the ropes. The awesomeness of Shawn Michaels karate-stand up after 60+ minutes, and the final Sweet Chin Music, those that come from out of nowhere and give you goose bumps. And finally... the childhood dream, finally coming true... a whole world stoped because of one man and his dreams. A lesson to us all: dare to dream, because dreams really come true.

The match, and specially the hype, the build up (the most amazing one I've ever seen), the honor, the loyalty, the manhood and the whole psycology. That's my favorite WRESTLEMANIA moment: The Iron Man Match for the WWF Title at WrestleMania XII... the one WM match that has really make this words true to me... Wretlemania, The Showcase Of the Inmortals.

Pepo
19 years, Chile

It's something I wrote for a web site (411mania.com). It's about my favorite Wretlemania moment. If it's good enough, it will get published on the site.
:shifty:

Last edited:
Work stuff-
-----------------------------------------------------

HB367 PARK COMMISSIONERS George Distel (H99-D-Conneaut) To permit any metropolitan park district to expand its board of park commissioners permanently from a three-member to a five-member board.

02/04/2004 House County & Township Government (First)

This is in my copy and paste:

http://forum.interference.com/t87968.html

I believe you might have missed this thread of mine.

The world as we know it will change, whether through global warming or through sunspot cycles (three cycles; 320 years each; more sunspots=more intense, less diffused radiation=warmer climate). The latter theory is as plausible as global warming, as in the 11th century, vineyards were reported to have been growing in England--which it has not been able to since. That was the last time we were in a warm, dry cycle before the present warm, dry cycle, which has been going on since 1700--meaning, if calculations are correct, this present cycle will end around 2020. The following two cycles are cool and wet cycles, meaning that the next 640 years after 2020 should follow that pattern.

However, the former is a theory, one that I read literally years ago and haven't been able to find anything on since. It might be completely discredited, as far as I know, but I found it very intriguing, to say the least.

With the seeming death of postmodernism and the possible resumption of modernism, coupled with the potential for massive climactic change within the next couple decades, I would not put it past the fact that genocide may very well be seen again within our lifetimes. The industrialized nations will certainly ensure their survival and third-world nations may grow increasingly desperate, as they are no match against industrial hyperpower. "Terrorism," thus, could resume at a much higher rate, and, while Israel might be a bit overtolerant against Palestinian terrorism, it is doubtful that the U.S. will extend such tolerance, and will probably start hurling bombs at groups or nations that threaten our security...

...which is probably why the Pentagon is studying "worst-case scenarios." The post-World War II era may soon look like "paradise lost." History, as well, is on the side of science; such prosperity and stability is always fleeting, whereas the world inevitably plunges into chaos and violence, and perhaps we should enjoy what we have now, because we might not have it forever--and it may no longer be within our realm of control.

Melon

An FYM post. How sad. :huh:

Melon

Back
Top Bottom