post the name and/or cover of an album you find terribly overrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This River is Wild, When You Were Young, and Read My Mind are better than anything on Hot Fuss.

Yeah I said it.

I think Sam's Town is a more consistent album than Hot Fuss, but there's nothing that really stands out on Sam's Town as being great, amazing singles like "Somebody Told Me" or "Mr. Brightsides."

With Hot Fuss, there's 3 or 4 really great songs, and the rest is a little subpar for me.

Lara Mullen said:

Seriously.

There are more albums released in a week than what I mentioned, no need to get too worked up or post a lame, mocking reply like that.

It wasn't meant to be a mocking reply. I apologize if it came off that way. I was just amused (and hence the lol smiley) that you found all those albums overrated.

corianderstem said:
I think Sam's Town is a more consistent album than Hot Fuss, but there's nothing that really stands out on Sam's Town as being great, amazing singles like "Somebody Told Me" or "Mr. Brightsides."

With Hot Fuss, there's 3 or 4 really great songs, and the rest is a little subpar for me.

I loved Hot Fuss when I first got it, but I'm more lukewarm about it now. Believe Me Natalie is still my favorite Killers song, and I like Mr. Brightside and a few others, but I agree that it's a much less consistent album than Sam's Town. The songs on it I don't love I don't listen to much at all.

I was very lukewarm about Sam's Town, but it works well as a whole. It's one of those albums I can listen to the whole way through and enjoy. Read My Mind has grown on me recently, and I love For Reasons Unknown, the River Is Wild, and Uncle Jonny, too. I appreciate that it doesn't have a standout single--I feel like that somehow makes it a better album.

I :heart: this thread... It's amazing how little everyone can agree on...

I will say that while I like The Arcade Fire, Funeral is overatted. :|

B&C is in danger of changing from the "Coldplay Forum" to the "The Arcade Fire Forum" IMO...:wink:

toscano said:

In case the images didn't come through, Funeral and Neon Bible

:scratch: their upcoming tour is playing small concert halls (~ 4000 people), so I'm not sure how they are overrated. Maybe you don't like them - that's different from overrated.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I :heart: this thread... It's amazing how little everyone can agree on...

I will say that while I like The Arcade Fire, Funeral is overatted. :|

B&C is in danger of changing from the "Coldplay Forum" to the "The Arcade Fire Forum" IMO...:wink:

Coldplay? I thought it was the Radiohead forum :wink:

Pink Floyd and REM are favourites of the B&C as well... Wilco is pretty highly regarded...

ntalwar - I wouldn't say the size of the venue has much to do with whether an album is overrated or not. if seemingly everyone is praising an album as the best of the year or even the best of a decade, yet you don't find the album to be that outstanding, then in your eyes, the album is overrated. people rate it higher than it really is.

I'm curious about Neon Bible...:wink: I'm afraid I won't like it as much as everyone else. But, I'm sure it's good nonetheless.

arushofbloodtothehead.jpg

AtomicBono said:

ntalwar - I wouldn't say the size of the venue has much to do with whether an album is overrated or not. if seemingly everyone is praising an album as the best of the year or even the best of a decade, yet you don't find the album to be that outstanding, then in your eyes, the album is overrated. people rate it higher than it really is.

I think popularity needs to be taken into account to determine that an album is overrated. Most bands have a diehard following that think their bands are the best. I was talking to two Canadian expats (one from Quebec) from my company last week, and they haven't even heard of Arcade Fire. Funeral was Grammy-nominated a couple of years ago, but in the relatively obsure alternative category . That's a far cry from best of year/decade.

I think the deal with guys like Arcade Fire and other indietastic bands is like what ntalwar said, the rabid fans will think it's the best, but 90-95% of the population has no clue who the hell they are.

The only places I've seen Arcade Fire-related material is here and other messages boards, and music magazines, never any huge publications or platforms. (I say this with the belief that music magazines have their heads so far up their ass they have no clue what they're talking about, but that's just me.)

corianderstem said:

I'm not saying everyone, but a vast majority of people only seem to know these 2 Killers songs. There's so many other great songs on Hot Fuss: "Midnight Show", "Belive Me Natalie", "On Top" (GREAT ode to The Cure-Disintegration era), "Smile Like You Mean It", and the best damn song off of ANY Killers album "All These Things That I've Done"!

THERE! I said it! :mad:

:wink:

FitzChivalry said:

I'm not saying everyone, but a vast majority of people only seem to know these 2 Killers songs. There's so many other great songs on Hot Fuss: "Midnight Show", "Belive Me Natalie", "On Top" (GREAT ode to The Cure-Disintegration era), "Smile Like You Mean It", and the best damn song off of ANY Killers album "All These Things That I've Done"!

THERE! I said it! :mad:

Exactly!!! Hot Fuss is not just about those 2 hit songs. There's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more!

That's it. You've pushed me over the edge.

Overrated =
B000001DTM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't care if I get flamed for this. Achtung Baby isn't Holy manna from Heaven. It's just a good U2 record. :mad:

LemonMelon said:
That's it. You've pushed me over the edge.

Overrated =
B000001DTM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't care if I get flamed for this. Achtung Baby isn't Holy manna from Heaven. It's just a good U2 record. :mad:

:shame:

haha!, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens and Wilco

*sigh* this is interference

Back
Top Bottom