post the name and/or cover of an album you find terribly overrated - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #46
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 02:13 PM
I don't think there's much of a point to mention the bleeding obviously overrated albums (just about anything by bands like The Beatles, U2, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin)

so I shall say:
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Beck - Sea Change
Arcade Fire - Funeral (and if Neon Bible has already been officially released then that one too)

for starters
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I don't think there's much of a point to mention the bleeding obviously overrated albums (just about anything by bands like The Beatles, U2, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin)

so I shall say:
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Beck - Sea Change
Arcade Fire - Funeral (and if Neon Bible has already been officially released then that one too)

for starters
wow, you must have weird taste.
__________________

__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #48
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 02:13 PM
not really
those albums are just ridiculously overrated
so I wouldn't say I'm the one with weird taste
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #49
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 06:13 AM





In case the images didn't come through, Funeral and Neon Bible
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
not really
those albums are just ridiculously overrated
so I wouldn't say I'm the one with weird taste
no way, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is brilliant

Funeral...I think I could agree that it's overrated. I do love it, but it's not the best album of this decade. It's not even the best debut album of this decade.
__________________
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
It's not even the best debut album of this decade.
Probably Hopes And Fears or Hot Fuss for me. Although I haven't listened to Funeral so not sure.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #52
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono


no way, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is brilliant

Funeral...I think I could agree that it's overrated. I do love it, but it's not the best album of this decade. It's not even the best debut album of this decade.
which is your favorite?

I think the best 5 debut albums of this decade so far are:

"Funeral" by Arcade Fire
"Franz Ferdinand" by Franz Ferdinand
"Hopes and Fears" by Keane
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers
"Is This It" by The Strokes
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
"Is This It" by The Strokes
I want to get that one!

There are just too many CDs to get and it keeps growing!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #54
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


I want to get that one!

There are just too many CDs to get and it keeps growing!
either get that or "First Impressions of Earth"

First Impressions... is a better album, more electronic, and isn't about 35 minutes long like "Is This It?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

either get that or "First Impressions of Earth"

First Impressions... is a better album, more electronic, and isn't about 35 minutes long like "Is This It?
But isn't it better to start at the top? I don't know.

Allmusic.com (a site that I usually trust except for a few albums here and there like U2's POP which they reviewed badly) seems to think that the strokes have got progressively worse. Is This It has 4.5 stars out of 5. Room On Fire has 4 and First Impressions 3.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:13 AM
I'll agree Room on Fire was mediocre, but First Impressions is their best album so far.

Maybe it's best to start with Is This It, and if you like it go for First Impressions.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,927
Local Time: 08:13 AM
I also think it's better to start with Is This It and then see how their sound evolved in First Impressions. Both are great albums, you can't go wrong with either.
__________________
gump is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


which is your favorite?

I think the best 5 debut albums of this decade so far are:

"Funeral" by Arcade Fire
"Franz Ferdinand" by Franz Ferdinand
"Hopes and Fears" by Keane
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers
"Is This It" by The Strokes
"Parachutes" by Coldplay(it is mind-boggling how much more interesting and enjoyable this is than 2005's self-indulgent uninspiring, attempted ROBTTH clone 'X&Y')

"Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones

"Audioslave" by Audioslave
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Quote:
"Funeral" by Arcade Fire
"Franz Ferdinand" by Franz Ferdinand
"Hopes and Fears" by Keane
"Hot Fuss" by The Killers
"Is This It" by The Strokes
Quote:
Joanna Newsom
I think all of that is overrated. Some are pretty good but nothing spectacular.

Also overrated are the Scissor Sisters 'Ta-dah' album, James Morrison, James Blunt, Razorlight and that Mika bloke. Not sure if some of them are big anywhere else but they rant about them here.

Oh, and Amy Winehouse who was one of the big winners at the Brit awards. Really overrated. Judging by the amount of people who ran for the doors 30 minutes early at her concert the other night she really isn't as great as they make her out to be.
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 03-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,515
Local Time: 01:13 PM
__________________

__________________
Aygo is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com